Derek Roddy here!

oh that is awesome! congratulations derek.
can i ask how you ended up working with today is the day? did it work out as you simply being a session musician for the album?

Hey D!!!!

Great to see you the other day. Thanks for the DVD. It is really AWESOME!!! Great job all around. Playing, production, Sound, Video edits, speaking , content, interviews and of course Snakes!!!!!

See you soon my friend-

J Fav

Yes, always great to hang and laugh.

Wish we could hook up more often.

Glad you're diggin' on the DVD....that was a lot of work! Haha.

See ya next time....maybe at the Collective?

D.

Hey Derek, I'm big fan of your work. I have been getting into the multi-pedal thing lately. I was wondering if you had some general tips for pedal placement & pedal settings. I have a 6 pedal set up from left to right.

Axis A shortboard w/ gajate bracket to LP Matador Cowbell.
Axis LB Hi-Hat max tension w/ 14" Paiste 2002 SE
X LB double pedal 22" Ludwig Classic Maple Kick
Gilbralter Remote Hi-Hat w/ 14" Zildjian Mastersound
Axis X w/ gajate mount LP Black Beauty Cowbell

All the pedals are set at 3/4 pedal tension, beater angle is standard 45*, the pedals on the cowbells have plastic beaters. Everything fits together pretty well overall, except the remote hat b/c it doesn't have velcro on the bottom.

I can play some pretty cool patterns and have gotten to the point where I can solo on top of some easy ones (say a 4 pedal samba pattern).

I was just wondering if you had any advice that would make my set more effecient as far as placement, pedal settings, general movement, and anything else you know.
I know its hard w/o a pic, so I will try to post some later. As you can see I am a pretty big fan of Axis, but I noticed that you use Sonor Giant Steps for everything but the kicks. Do pedals like that seem to work better for multi-pedal work?

Thanks for your help.

You know...I don't put much thought into this really. Some days feel better than others...even when the gear hasn't changed.
You're set up is similar to mine.....I have a foot snare, ribbon crasher, main hat, L kick, R kick, R hat, 6" tom.
Yeah, I only need the Axis pedal for the main kicks.
The Aux pedals....I don't care as much about because I don't really spend much time on those pedals....not like I do on my main kicks.
The reason for this is simply.....Axis are expensive pedals....and when I go into a store for....lets say a clinic or whatnot......The store owners don't have to spend extra....on getting 4 more axis pedals, etc. This way....I don't "rely" on the pedals for that type of execution. I can play pretty much on any pedal (Playing on an Axis pedal for 20 years will do that)....I just prefer the Axis feel for the kicks.
Cheers,
D.

Just uploaded some videos from the great new DVD "Blast Beats Evolved" - check it out...

..and a solid Rock Drumming with Paul Gilbert i filmed from behind the scenes at the Musikmesse last year...

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Derek_Roddy.html

enjoy...

Bernhard

Cheers Bernhard....coming to the states anytime this year?

i hear you just joined thomas lang with DW. is that true?

Yes sir...it is. Proud to be there.

oh that is awesome! congratulations derek.
can i ask how you ended up working with today is the day? did it work out as you simply being a session musician for the album?

Cheers man....
Well, with TITD....Steve told me exactly what I wanted to hear......and when it was over.....did exactly opposite of that.
I thought the drums I tracked for him....were going to be scratch drums... so I could go home learn the songs better (with vox, etc...) and, then record the songs.
I mean 1 day after I recorded those drums....he started booking a tour (which he said he didn't want to do anymore, yadda, yadda, yadda....)

That's why I didn't say around.
I had just gotten out of the same situation with other bands and, I saw TITD was going to be no different (even thought Steve assured me it wouldn't)
I couldn't keep putting my life on hold..... so, others could escape theirs.

D.

Hey Derek, I was watching that solo... awesome stuff of course, but then saw in the related videos you playing a Serpents Rise song and then realized I never found like a collective of the recordings you guys made of the songs... I've heard several mixes and seen you guys post rough versions/demos of songs and then what I believe were at least certain songs that were finished.

Did you ever upload all the completed songs, even if they're just individual links or did you release them as a pieced together album of sorts? I've seen your posts on several other forums but even browsing through most of those rather large threads I never saw them and now I'm curious.

Thanks in advance :)

Hey Derek, I was watching that solo... awesome stuff of course, but then saw in the related videos you playing a Serpents Rise song and then realized I never found like a collective of the recordings you guys made of the songs... I've heard several mixes and seen you guys post rough versions/demos of songs and then what I believe were at least certain songs that were finished.

Did you ever upload all the completed songs, even if they're just individual links or did you release them as a pieced together album of sorts? I've seen your posts on several other forums but even browsing through most of those rather large threads I never saw them and now I'm curious.

Thanks in advance :)

Cheers man....yeah, I'll have the final Serpents Rise finished within this month.

I'll post them on my site and here at Drummerworld for everyone to download.
Of course, I will offer a physical CD that will be available through my website, Amazon, ITunes, etc...
Glad you dig the stuff.

It sounds so much better than those demos....can't wait to get it out there.

D.

Hey Derek!

So now that you've joined DW drums, will you be making a promo video just like Lang did, and when will we see this?
Btw, What made you want to leave Sonor?

Cheers from sweden

Cheers man....yeah, I'll have the final Serpents Rise finished within this month.

I'll post them on my site and here at Drummerworld for everyone to download.
Of course, I will offer a physical CD that will be available through my website, Amazon, ITunes, etc...
Glad you dig the stuff.

It sounds so much better than those demos....can't wait to get it out there.

D.

I was unaware they weren't even quite finished yet! Silly me lol.

Sounds good to me, I remember when I first heard those demos... I think it's cool that they're instrumental, because I think you'll see people doing some vocal covers because the structuring of it still would work for vocal melody lines. Maybe that's just me though.

Either way, it's interesting and well-crafted death metal where lately a lot of the genre tends to be... well, repetitive and boring for the most part. It's good to hear something refreshing, because it always ends up being some of my favorite stuff.

I had just gotten out of the same situation with other bands and, I saw TITD was going to be no different (even thought Steve assured me it wouldn't)
I couldn't keep putting my life on hold..... so, others could escape theirs.

D.

yeah yeah, i'm in a similar situation currently (albeit with much smaller bands). i don't feel the need to go around touring shitty clubs because i have so much more productive stuff to do for myself..
hopefully one day opeth or obscura will need a new drummer ;)

i hope the transition to DW has been going well. i bet its much easier to get them in the US than it is to get sonor.

i hope the transition to DW has been going well. i bet its much easier to get them in the US than it is to get sonor.

You can say that...I can't speak for Derek at all, but Sonor has issues...stuff like distribution in the states, customer service, artist support, etc. that leaves a lot to be desired. It's almost like Sonor doesn't really care about the US market.

It sucks, because I don't choose drums based on drummers I like, but it's still nice to have drummers you like playing the drums you choose.

Sonor lost Paul Bostaph and now Derek Roddy...you just can't lose this type of talent.

Oh well, I don't have the same 'situation' as those guys so I'll continue to pound away on my Sonors for the forseeable future...but I am sure every time I turn on the tv to watch a gig, no doubt most likely the drummer will be driving a DW rig...smart move by DW.

I wish the very best to Derek on his move to DW, it's a fantastic company with great product and they'll surely get him excellent support.

It was a sad day for a lot of us Sonor users when Derek left, but I respect his decision and I hope the brass at Sonor has taken notice and will wake the hell up.

Peace.

Hey Derek!

I was watching a vid where you were explaining the "flat foot" technique, and I was wondering if there's anything else you have out there that goes into it in more detail (book, DVD, whatever). I've always felt like "running in place" was the most natural way to do double bass, but was under the impression that was wrong. However, if YOU'RE doing it, well obviously it can't be TOO wrong, can it? LOL

Well, "running on the pedals" is what I do....but, doesn't mean that it will work for you.

You have to do and progress.... with what you are already doing.
Stopping to learn all these different "techniques"....is what is keeping players from progressing as quickly as they'd like.

You still have to put just as much time into learning a new technique...as you would have the "old" technique.
So, really....it's all a moot point.
The only thing that makes a real difference......is practice, persistence and consistency.
If you change any of those things.....you add more time to your progress...thus slowing you down.

That said....I don't have material out about technique. I have watched so many drummers....hold themselves back in order to search for the perfect technique....that I feel it's a waste of time.

Practice, you'll get there one way or another. Neither of which...is better than the other.

Cheers,
D.

That's the thing. It already IS working for me. Trying to focus on mostly ankle movements and keep my hip flexors from being activated was leaving me literally uncomfortable on the seat. It felt like the pedal tension was too low to get any "spring off" but too high to comfortably step down.

So I pulled down my pedal tension, raised my seat about two inches, scooted in a bit, and double kick patterns sprang to life faster than I was doing just yesterday! Stuff I was struggling to get on tempo was a BREEZE. In my "can't drum" time I've been practicing the movement on the floor. It's the first way to do it that felt "right" for me, so I'm thanking you IMMENSELY for opening my eyes to it! I swear I had been under the impression that the goal was to MINIMIZE leg movement at high speeds, so seeing you say "well no, that can definitely work" was a revelation.

So I'm just, you know, curious about any other little tips and tricks. Seat placement ideas, if ankle weights are a good idea, etc. Obviously I'm not going to copy you exactly since we're built totally differently, but I'm always on the lookout for little nudges in the right direction, yah?

Again, you kick major ass, DR. And I heard you're moving away from triggers now? INTENSE!

Yeah, you're going about it the right way. Your body is telling you what to do....and, that's cool.
But, don't get to comfy.......As fast progress like you described.... can be quickly followed with...." why in the hell did I change everything?" Haha.

There's a fine line there.

As far as tips, etc...just jam man...and, play with as many people as you can.

That's where you get..."what you need" to move forward.....whether it's speed, and chops...or feel and dynamics...or just being comfortable playing music and drums in general.
The only way you really get that.....is listening and feeling the presence of others.

Then...it all comes together. (IMO) LoL.

D.

Haha, well yeah definitely. Right now I've figured that this is my ideal position, so now it's a matter of doing the drills. Your endurance exercises (those ten minute circuits of single strokes) are INCREDIBLY tiring, but I love 'em.

I'm not sure I'd call what happened today "progress" so much as finally putting myself in an ideal position to start the REAL practice. It's gonna be a long journey.

I just want to get to a point where my feet are as fast as my hands, y'know? I can hit single stroke rolls at 190-200bpm for short periods of time, and 180bpm for a solid minute or two, but on my legs? No way. 140bpm for any period of time now.

You're an inspiration Derek. Make another DVD!

Yeah, you're going about it the right way. Your body is telling you what to do....and, that's cool.
But, don't get to comfy.......As fast progress like you described.... can be quickly followed with...." why in the hell did I change everything?" Haha.

There's a fine line there.

As far as tips, etc...just jam man...and, play with as many people as you can.

That's where you get..."what you need" to move forward.....whether it's speed, and chops...or feel and dynamics...or just being comfortable playing music and drums in general.
The only way you really get that.....is listening and feeling the presence of others.

Then...it all comes together. (IMO) LoL.

D.

Thats some execellent advice. Thanks man.

Back