Unpopular Drumming Opinion Thread

I dont think he practices as much as he probibly should, but his work on the early Metallica records is still some of my favorite drumming of all time.

That's not his work, it's the work of some poor guy tasked with clipping together the tape for damn near every stroke and beat.

I think that a musician not liking jazz seems a little unpopular nowadays on the web. It's like you have to start liking/playing jazz to "advance" to the next level of musicianship.

I'm glad to say that I have started liking/playing jazz, so I am now at the advanced stage. Sorry all you loser musicians aren't there yet.

PS - total joke

Sadly, my level of musicianship supports this.

Geez, I will get shot for this...

I really, really hate REMO PINSTRIPES!!!

I would rather take my mother in law out for a romantic dinner than play with those damn things

Geez, I will get shot for this...

I really, really hate REMO PINSTRIPES!!!

I would rather take my mother in law out for a romantic dinner than play with those damn things

I used to feel the same way. Back in the day when I was beginning, every kit seemed to be an export with pinstripes.

I avoided pinstripes for many years until I bought a new Yamaha RC that came with all pinstripe heads. This changed my perspective quite a bit, they really work well on those kits imo.

I used to feel the same way. Back in the day when I was beginning, every kit seemed to be an export with pinstripes.

I avoided pinstripes for many years until I bought a new Yamaha RC that came with all pinstripe heads. This changed my perspective quite a bit, they really work well on those kits imo.

I never considered yammie RCs....

They sound good with newspapers for heads

Sticks4Drums doesn't faze me in the least. I don't understand why people allow themselves to be engaged by him. The people who engage him are every bit as guilty of Glen when a rift surfaces. Not exactly a drumming opinion, but I'm pretty sure this is unpopular.

I'm a little confused. Is he the user that started this thread, but with a different moniker?

MY opinion is that the panning of established successful pro-level drummers (Ringo, Peart, Lars....) by DW members is a ridiculous forum activity.
WHY I believe that is because it is unconstructive, disrespectful and mostly reflects an insecurity on the part of other drummers.

Yep ....

I'm a little confused. Is he the user that started this thread, but with a different moniker?

I'm pretty sure this is not the case, 2 different people is my guess.

Duncan can sniff out Glen like a bloodhound.

When I see lists like "top 50 drummers" I genuinely have no clue who about 45 of them are, & have never knowingly heard them play anything. In fact, I don't know who most drummers are unless they are in a band I like, & even then I've got to really like them to be bothered to find out their name. I'm just not that much of a drumming nerd!
Maybe not an unpopular statement, more an honest one.

I like and dislike threads about time signatures. I dislike them because they bring out the music intelligentsia and all of their snobbery, which I cannot stand, but I also cannot help reading them - kind of the the way people like watching car wrecks I suppose...

I have many opinions that I know not everyone in the drumming world shares. Whether that makes them unpopular or not is your call. Personally, I don't lose sleep over the issue.
- I don't care for DW Drums or Pearl hardware.
- I play nylon-tipped sticks, because I find wood tips are fragile and don't last as long.
- I don't stuff a lot of junk in my kick drums.
- I don't care for single-ply coated snare heads. I'd rather play a dot head.
- I don't get all upset when I have to play behind a plexiglass shield at a church.
- I think single-braced hardware does just as good a job, if not better, than double-braced.
- I play rock but I prefer 5" deep snares to 6.5" deep snares.

I don't like name dropping. Like X, Y or Z big name does this and he was popular at some point in time some number of decades ago, therefore it must be popular.

Here's one from a top recording engineer in NYC who is known from his drum sounds.

"I don't understand why drummers make such a fuss over cymbals, they all go psshhh"

Just the fact that "unpopular drumming opinions" and the negativity that entire statement holds....and the fact it was started on Reddit speaks volumes about the camaraderie that is lost and AWOL by that community (except on /r/drumming, where I'm a mod and seek to further a sense of family)

Drummers are fraternity. Always have been, always will be. Except on that subreddit /r/drums. You've got a megalomaniac running the show who will shut you down when he feels like it and that's not how drummers are in real life.

Drummers are fraternity. There, I said it again. If you think otherwise then chances are you're not a drummer. We look after our peeps.

Just the fact that "unpopular drumming opinions" and the negativity that entire statement holds....and the fact it was started on Reddit speaks volumes about the camaraderie that is lost and AWOL by that community (except on /r/drumming, where I'm a mod and seek to further a sense of family)

Drummers are fraternity. Always have been, always will be. Except on that subreddit /r/drums. You've got a megalomaniac running the show who will shut you down when he feels like it and that's not how drummers are in real life.

Drummers are fraternity. There, I said it again. If you think otherwise then chances are you're not a drummer. We look after our peeps.

Why is there two subreddits for the exact same thing? I didn't know the one you mod existed until you mentioned it. Just seems to be far more traffic on r/drums and the two should be grouped together as one.

Why is there two subreddits for the exact same thing? I didn't know the one you mod existed until you mentioned it. Just seems to be far more traffic on r/drums and the two should be grouped together as one.

Reddit has that sprawl thing goin' for it. I think that /r/drumming came about as people were being turned off by _norm, the lone mod there. One guy controlling everything is not a forum, it's an ego trip.

Yeah, there's more traffic there. Wal-Mart sells crap for cheap too! Our sub is more about quality and camaraderie.

As for joining the two.... when _norm goes, we could see that happening. Until then, a big ol' bowl of nope.

Can you tell I don't dig this guy _norm? Well I don't.

Well...

I think DW drums sound like intermediate level drums and nothing more.
I think DDrum are actually great.
I think Dixon make some of the best snare drums out there.
I LOVE jazz, but I hate free jazz and modern jazz, its just noise.
I think thrash requires no skill what so ever.
I think math metal, or in fact any kind of music that involves unusual time signitures should not be called "complex time signitures". Its not, its just learning something other than 4/4.
I think all drummers than can only drum in 4/4 are not worthy of consideration as a good drummer.
I think status quo has some of the best drumming out there.
I think SJC and the like are over-rated and far too expensive. Check out stuff like carrera drums and north drums who arent stupidly priced.

Yeah... go on shoot me

Back