DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear

Drum Gear Reviews and Discussions of Drums - Pedals - Cymbals - Sticks - Heads - Electronic Drums

Old 11-14-2018, 05:02 AM
Silver Member

Default Best in-ears?

Looking to invest in some new in ears. My organ player at church saw I was using mid level shure ears and kinda gave me a hard time (I love them though). But I thought about it and the sound quality could be better, and I need a backup pair anyway in case one breaks. He said westone was the way to go, but it's hard to find a good review for in ear monitors online from a drummers perspective. Price isn't really a huge issue because I'm willing to spend money on a quality product. In yalls opinion what are some of the best sounding in ears available today?
Old 11-14-2018, 05:54 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: Best in-ears?

Most pros use Ultimate Ears, or JH Audio. JH is Jerry Harvey, who started Ultimate Ears and gave up the company to an ex-wife or something like that. These have multiple elements in each earpiece, I use the JH and mine has 7 in each one. The sound is excellent from low to high. Price varies, you can expect to pay $800-1200 for a pair.

You'll need to get ear canal impressions made, which can be done at most audiologists (call first and let them know you're a musician.) You send those to the company and they'll make your in-ears.

Bermuda
Old 11-14-2018, 06:11 AM
Platinum Member

I'm no Bermuda when it comes to in-ears, but I do like the UE4's I got from Ultimate Ears. These are the cheapest 2-driver monitors with a custom mold. I think they sound every bit as good as my Sony MDR-7506 studio reference headphones. Having the custom molds really blocks out everything else.

Of course, you can get higher fidelity with more drivers, but I told myself, "They're for MONITORING", which means I need to hear if I'm on pitch with everybody else and locking in with other instruments. I don't need 8 drivers for that. But, if you're into it, by all means, go get fitted and get 'em done!
Old 11-14-2018, 07:36 AM
Silver Member

I'll look into these 2. I really want something nice so I can hear everything going on in the mix clearly. My shures are working for church and practice but I think I'm gonna have to upgrade for gigging out

It's pretty weird how I couldn't find anything with a google search, you'd think this would be covered already by a lot of guys. I know stage monitors are big with a lot of guys but nothing beats good in-ears imo

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2018, 08:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsbclontz View Post
I'll look into these 2. I really want something nice so I can hear everything going on in the mix clearly. My shures are working for church and practice but I think I'm gonna have to upgrade for gigging out

It's pretty weird how I couldn't find anything with a google search, you'd think this would be covered already by a lot of guys. I know stage monitors are big with a lot of guys but nothing beats good in-ears imo

Thanks!
Here's what I've discovered using in-ears though: if you get them fully enclosed, you don't hear anything outside of them. You won't even hear someone if they're yelling right at you. Everything has to go through the system.

Ultimate Ears does give you the option for "open air" in-ears, which allow some outside sound in, so you may want to consider that. Whenever I practice with my in-ears now, I have an overhead mic on so I can hear the drums in my ears!
Old 11-14-2018, 10:26 AM

Another vote for UE4's here - agree with Bo - get the ambient port fitted,full isolation is too much! Had mine for 9 months now and paid about £500.
Very happy with them.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:04 PM
Platinum Member

I have a set of UE5's and they are AMAZING.

The 6's are made for drummers, but they have really hyped low end. So if you are playing it may not be as accurate, but I hear they are quite enjoyable to use.

THe 11's have a really good sound stage for drummers as well but the price is quite a bit more.

The UE4 and UE5 are very similar. The 5's have slightly more low end and head room. I don't see the 4's on the site anymore but am happy I went with the 5's.

I opted out of the hole cut in them for ambient sound as I use a monitor mix and have mics on my kit usually. The isolation is fantastic.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Whenever I practice with my in-ears now, I have an overhead mic on so I can hear the drums in my ears!
You don't run your full drum mix through your ears? My ears are very noise canceling but I can still hear a little bit with them on. I bet the molds do make a big difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondbetrayal View Post
I have a set of UE5's and they are AMAZING.

The 6's are made for drummers, but they have really hyped low end. So if you are playing it may not be as accurate, but I hear they are quite enjoyable to use.
The ones I have now are "bass boosted" and I do kind of like that feature. But a lot of the time I can control my own mix into my monitors so if I need to turn anything up or down that's not a problem

I'll check out those UEs and JH audio options recommended by you guys. I really don't want to get a molding done of my ears but I guess it'd be worth it if the monitors are top shelf

Thanks everyone I appreciate it

Last edited by williamsbclontz; 11-14-2018 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
You don't run your full drum mix through your ears? My ears are very noise canceling but I can still hear a little bit with them on. I bet the molds do make a big difference

The ones I have now are "bass boosted" and I do kind of like that feature. But a lot of the time I can control my own mix into my monitors so if I need to turn anything up or down that's not a problem

I'll check out those UEs and JH audio options recommended by you guys. I really don't want to get a molding done of my ears but I guess it'd be worth it if the monitors are top shelf

It's the molds,and the isolation they provide, that's the important bit.
Having good molds done mean you don't need 'top shelf ' monitors. If you are just looking to use them for live monitoring you don't need anything more than dual drivers - triple at most. In a live situation you wouldn't hear enough difference between dual drivers and 12 drivers to warrant the frankly ridiculous price! Unless you're a studio engineer using the very best reference equipment, the 6,7,8,10,12,and even 15 drivers per side would just be a waste of money in my opinion.
UE4's (dual drivers) are Ultimate Ears biggest selling unit for a reason - bang for buck as they say.....
Old 11-16-2018, 03:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

UE keep your molds on file for years if you ever want to get new ones.. The customer service is really good too.. JH audio make great stuff too.

Once you go custom you won't go back. Between the isolation, comfort, and sound it is mind blowing how good they sound.

I'd recommend to UE5's to anyone, the 6's to someone who wants more bass, and 11's or 18's to someone who has lots of money. haha
Old 11-16-2018, 06:21 AM
Silver Member

No mention of Westone here, but they are top notch.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondbetrayal View Post
UE keep your molds on file for years if you ever want to get new ones.. The customer service is really good too.. JH audio make great stuff too.

Once you go custom you won't go back. Between the isolation, comfort, and sound it is mind blowing how good they sound.

I'd recommend to UE5's to anyone, the 6's to someone who wants more bass, and 11's or 18's to someone who has lots of money. haha
I'd always ask to be re-fitted though. There's something cool about a pretty woman slowly manipulating that laser gun through both of your ears to fit you. It's kinda' ASMR-ish ;)

Plus you get to see what your inner ears look like on the computer screen - which can freak you out about how dirty your ears really are!
Old 11-16-2018, 01:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Looking to invest in some new in ears. My organ player at church saw I was using mid level shure ears and kinda gave me a hard time (I love them though). But I thought about it and the sound quality could be better, and I need a backup pair anyway in case one breaks. He said westone was the way to go, but it's hard to find a good review for in ear monitors online from a drummers perspective. Price isn't really a huge issue because I'm willing to spend money on a quality product. In yalls opinion what are some of the best sounding in ears available today?
If you are happy with the Shures but the organ player isn't then let the organ player foot the bill for the replacements.

The organ player sounds like a pretentious twat.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:51 PM
Platinum Member

I don't have IEMs, but most people I know use 64 Audio. A10s or the newer A12s.

They're pricey, tough.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
If you are happy with the Shures but the organ player isn't then let the organ player foot the bill for the replacements.

THIS! Unless you are having issues with the Shure IEs, don't worry about it.

A slight tangent... I only use In-ears for bands where I play to a click, or tracks. In those instances, I have the click, track and a little of the lead vocal in my ears (and bass on larger/louder stages). No drums. Everything else, including the drums and cymbals, bleeds through nicely.

Have had a few FOH sound folk wonder how I can play that way. One demanded I take a line back to my sub-mixer. To keep the peace, I did... and muted it :)

Any drummers using IEMs that don't have their drums in the mix?
Old 11-16-2018, 07:03 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

1. The organ player is a pretentious twat

2. I've had the shures for a while and they're nice, but I know there's better options and I feel like it's time for an upgrade. Plus I only have one pair of IEMs right now so if I break or missplace a pair it would be nice to have the shures as a backup
Old 11-16-2018, 07:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumdrumguy View Post
A slight tangent... I only use In-ears for bands where I play to a click, or tracks. In those instances, I have the click, track and a little of the lead vocal in my ears (and bass on larger/louder stages). No drums. Everything else, including the drums and cymbals, bleeds through nicely.

Have had a few FOH sound folk wonder how I can play that way. One demanded I take a line back to my sub-mixer. To keep the peace, I did... and muted it :)

Any drummers using IEMs that don't have their drums in the mix?
That's pretty crazy. Even when I'm practicing alone I'll have the full drum mix in my ears. It makes me sound so much bigger and it makes me play different. But that's just a mental thing I guess
Old 11-16-2018, 10:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
1. All organ players are pretentious twats

Fixed. :-)

Old 11-23-2018, 03:29 AM

KZ As10, ZS10. Both 5 drivers per side. Incredible iems. The dual driver ZSN are awesome too!
Old 12-02-2018, 05:37 PM

UE is an amazing company. I have had UE5s for many many years. Still work and sound great.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparker2005 View Post
KZ As10, ZS10. Both 5 drivers per side. Incredible iems. The dual driver ZSN are awesome too!
I'll second the KZ AS10. Just got a set over Thanksgiving and they are fantastic. The cord is totally jenky and annoying, but the drivers are amazing. Throw on some foam ear tips and you get great isolation, great sound and a huge frequency range. Lows come in strong, mids are present and highs are not piercing or fatigueing.

For their price, I really can't see how they can be beat.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:13 PM
Platinum Member

Sennheiser IE 40 PRO
Dynamic in-ear monitoring headphones with precise sound at both low and high sound pressure levels; for maximum control on loud stages. Secure fit thanks to ergonomic design and a robust construction suitable for stage use.

Did you know? Most IEM systems use multi-driver solutions derived from conventional hearing aids.
IE 40 PRO is different; it uses a next generation dynamic single-driver; meaning the frequency range does not have to be split up into sections but remains harmonious as a whole.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:53 PM
Platinum Member

Not trying to be a pusher, but:

KZ AS10 ($67) vs 64 Audio U6 ($900):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiAV...el=AaronMorgan
Old 12-03-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:

This.

I was once given a set of Shure SE425s, and they were nice, but when they finally bit it earlier this year (I got them in 2011 - they had a good run) I replaced them with a set of Shure SE215s, and I'm more than happy with those. They sound great, and they more than get the job done.

At the end of the day, in the midst of drumming and using your in-ears as your IEMs, you probably aren't going to notice sound quality difference. You may if you use them specifically for listening, but IMO you don't need to spend hundreds of dollars on the high end stuff. All that really gets most low-level players is bragging rights to the fact that they spent more than they needed to in order to get "the best" when the $99 Shure SE215s would more than get the job done.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickg View Post
This.

I was once given a set of Shure SE425s, and they were nice, but when they finally bit it earlier this year (I got them in 2011 - they had a good run) I replaced them with a set of Shure SE215s, and I'm more than happy with those. They sound great, and they more than get the job done.

At the end of the day, in the midst of drumming and using your in-ears as your IEMs, you probably aren't going to notice sound quality difference. You may if you use them specifically for listening, but IMO you don't need to spend hundreds of dollars on the high end stuff. All that really gets most low-level players is bragging rights to the fact that they spent more than they needed to in order to get "the best" when the $99 Shure SE215s would more than get the job done.
... or the $49 MEE Audio M6 Pros I use, which sound way better than the SE215s I owned and have lasted 3x as long.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:05 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickg View Post
Is this really true though? I agree with you I love my shures, and when I get the mix just right I'm really happy with them. I just feel like I'm getting to the point in my playing where I should maybe think about upgrading. If I'm getting paid for playing gigs I feel like I should take it seriously (not saying shures aren't serious, I just want to check every option). I spend so much on my drums and cymbals, and my guitarist and bass player spends so much on their instruments, I'd hate to be limited because of any sort of inferior gear

But, the shures do really sound great, just wondering what my next purchase should be because I need to buy a second pair anyway
Old 12-04-2018, 02:24 AM
Platinum Member

Those KZ-AS10s look great for the price. I might just try those.

I was looking around at making a pair of diy in ears with the uv cure liquid. It doesn't look difficult.
There are only two companies that make the drivers and you can get them pre made with multi drivers and crossovers. It looks very doable for the diy drummer.

I also found these:
http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?i...nowles%2022955

I've been reading up on musician iem's. It seems there's no consensus about how many drivers musicians need or whether you must have a custom fit.
Some very successful people don't prefer custom ears.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:13 AM
Gold Member

Good video here about the MeeAudio M7 Pro. This guy's fresh out of Berklee, doing a cruise ship gig. Great player with some cool footage of his playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAmPa_3osn8