The Lightest 5B Available?

zambizzi

Platinum Member
I've come to the conclusion that 5A sticks aren't quite big enough for my large hands. I feel that I have to pinch too much to hang onto them to keep my fulcrum intact.

I've been using the VF Jack DeJohnette model for a couple of months. The weight is perfect but it's a tad too long and thin. I love the tip.

Prior to that I used the Weckl Evolution model...too light, too thin, got tired of the finish after a while.

Prior to THAT I used the Jojo Mayer stick for a while and it was too weird to adjust to. Too short and heavy (weird balance) but I DID like the diameter...which is supposed to be a 5B.

I've tried 55A but I'm not real sure about them yet. I might give them a go again...but I'm not real sure about them.

I've also got a pair of Vater 5B at home but they actually feel a bit too heavy. I like the diameter and length...but just too heavy.

Can anyone recommend something right in my ballpark? I'd like something commonly found in stores rather than exotic, special-order sticks that I couldn't just pick up when I need a pair. Brand doesn't matter to me but I've always found VF sticks to be of great quality.

Last edited:
Look at Regal-Tip there regular 5B's are lighter then Pro-Marks,Vic Firth,Vator,etc. the reason is that they are thinner towards the tip of the stick.maybe look into Pro-Mark 420's(Mike Portnoy's Sig.) they are a little thinner then 5B's but not as thin as a 5A that's what I use and I love em' and not because there Mike Portnoy's stick either I could care less for a signiture stick I just like the way they play.

Good Luck,
Bonzolead

Look at Regal-Tip there regular 5B's are lighter then Pro-Marks,Vic Firth,Vator,etc. the reason is that they are thinner towards the tip of the stick.maybe look into Pro-Mark 420's(Mike Portnoy's Sig.) they are a little thinner then 5B's but not as thin as a 5A that's what I use and I love em' and not because there Mike Portnoy's stick either I could care less for a signiture stick I just like the way they play.

Good Luck,
Bonzolead

Thanks B! Looks like those Portnoy sticks are nylon-tip only...too bad. I'm definitely only after wood-tip. I'll check out the Regals, though no one around here carries them.

Valter Suger Maple - had the same problem with liking the weight of 7s but the size of 5A so got 5A in maple

Thanks B! Looks like those Portnoy sticks are nylon-tip only...too bad. I'm definitely only after wood-tip. I'll check out the Regals, though no one around here carries them.
my bad I didn't. know you didn't. like nylon-tips I prefer nylon tips different strokes for different folks.maybe look at 707 model Pro-Mark or 747

good luck,
Bonzolead

Silver Fox makes a really nice Maple stick (in all sorts of sizes), they feel great and have a nice tip.
You might check into them.

Im almost certain Regal tips are the ones you are looking for. I love those sticks, they are light and have great rebound.

Im almost certain Regal tips are the ones you are looking for. I love those sticks, they are light and have great rebound.
True that, the Regal-Tip 7a IMHO has the best rim-click of any stick out there.I love playing ballads,Jazz & slow-blues with them.

Bonzolead

Try out the SD2 Bolero by Vic Firth. its a pretty thick stick, i think around a 5B in diameter, but its pretty light and has nice weight distribution due to its really short taper at the tip. Its tip gives a very natural warm sound to cymbals. not sure about the length however.

btw, its an american custom stick if you want to check it out on the VF site.

Actually the SD2 bolero is a lot thicker than 5Bs with a very small tip, and it's longer. The SD7 (although its only Nylon) is actually about the size of a 5B. However, Vic Firth has the American Heritage series which is Maple and they make 5Bs. The Buddy Rich sticks are a great pair as well. Actually Peter Erskine's 'Ride' model is the diameter of a 5B in the back but tapers toward the front for a light feel.

Actually the SD2 bolero is a lot thicker than 5Bs with a very small tip, and it's longer. The SD7 (although its only Nylon) is actually about the size of a 5B. However, Vic Firth has the American Heritage series which is Maple and they make 5Bs. The Buddy Rich sticks are a great pair as well. Actually Peter Erskine's 'Ride' model is the diameter of a 5B in the back but tapers toward the front for a light feel.
If I'm not mistaken the SD7 is about the size of a 5A more than a 5B I have a set of those also.just a little beefer than a 5A.

Bonzolead

Actually the Promark Joe Morello sticks are quite versatile. They are about the size of a 5B but they taper nice towards the tip which works for all dynamics. The sound is clean and crisp as well. These are probably the only Promark sticks I've ever cared for.

I haven't played Pro Mark in ages, so I can't compare between that and Silver Fox, but I will tell you that Silver Fox sticks are a good deal lighter than Vic Firths in the comparable sizes. I mainly use Silver Fox 5As, and recently sat in with a band where the drummer used Vic Firth 5As (the stick I used before switching to Silver Fox). HOLY CRAP. I don't think I ever realized exactly how much heavier the Vic Firths are.

I picked up a pair of Buddy Rick sigs tonight and have been using them for the past two hours - I think this is the stick that ideally suits the description I started this thread with.

They're fatter and equally as long as the DeJohnettes but somehow lighter! I love the fat shoulder on them, great for smacking the hi-hats for a nice loud open accent.

These are all around, a great stick - thanks for the recommendation!

Thanks Freddy, those look good. The Josh Freese model looks good too. I usually don't like anything over 16" but I'll try anything.

The Josh Freese is a GREAT all around stick!! Love that one Vin!! LOVE IT!

Back