Is your kit lacquer or a wrap?

Neither. My kit is just stained with a hand rubbed tung oil finish.

I'm nervous about wraps since having a wrap job kill the sound of a kick drum I used to own. My philosophy since has been to keep everything off the shell that could impede its resonance, and that includes thick poly lacquers (especially those with broken glass finishes. Not sure how different those are from wraps, tbh).

Lacquer.

Didn't have a choice. I bought the kit from a mate and lacquer was the factory finish, so lacquer is what I got.

Even if I was given the option, it's not the sort of thing that bothers me either way. As long as I like the actual finish (colour, sparkles, fade et al), then I'm not concerned one way or the other.

All three of my kits are wrapped. i gig them and the finish holds up better to the occasional ding . i really do not find that much of a sonic difference between wraps, lacquers and stains fo be honest. I had lacquer kits for the majority of my career and they just made me paranoid about dings and nicks.

...two wraps and a satin.

I love wraps, especially the 60s 70s classic marine pearls, oysters and sparkles.

The satin kit was an opportune purchase/trade, so the finish was not the deciding factor in my choosing of it.

Barry.

Stains look better but for giving wraps are certainly more durable

I have a lacquer, a regular sparkle wrap, and a wrap with a Black Glitter Glass finish.
The Glass is thicker than the wrap by a little.

All styles sound great, but I actually have a slight preference for the Glass kit, and it also has long lugs on it. The lacquer kit also has long lugs.
Of the 3 types, I think the sparkle wrap might be a little more "open" than even the lacquer kit since it has split lugs.

I like the sound of each, but even though the shell might sound "impeded" by some with the thicker glass wrap, and long lugs, I just think it sounds kick ass, so I don't care.

I guess I don't have a preference then haha!

I don't care for satin finishes though, just don't care for the low gloss of them.

BTW, all my drums "wraps" are glued completely to the shell.

I currently have 2 kits that are lacquer and 2 kits that are wrapped.
I like both finishes so I buy and sell kits that are both.

My Pearl World Series and Tama Starclassics were wraps. My Mapex Meridian Maples is Lacquer.

I like the road worthiness of wraps but to me, nothing looks as nice as a good lacquer finish.

Black wrap on my kit, but would love to someday own a nice wood finished Craviotto or a Noble and Cooley kit to keep lovingly in a home studio. After my wife is asleep I would sneak downstairs in the middle of the night and gently caress and whisper to it, promising to never bring it to a bar gig.

I have all three, TAMA Starclassic Performers (100% Birch) in White Marine Pearl, Crush Sublime Maples in Ocean Blue Glitter Lacquer, and DW Collectors in Champagne Sparkle Wrap, and Natural Maple Satin finish (both Maple). I like them all but I prefer the wrapped kit for gigging. It's heartier and shows less wear. That said I've never noticed a difference in the sound of any of them. They all sounds excellent!

Lacquer x2.

I have had wraps, and the seam bothers me! My Mapex is stained and lacquered. My Yamaha is an opaque lacquer.

I just ordered a shell pack and one of the deciding factors in choosing a lacquer finish was that the wrap seam just bugs me. OCD, I suppose.

I presently have six kits, three are a lacquer finish and three are wraps. Some people believe that two of my lacquer sets are wraps, but they are not. To me it really doesn't matter one way or another, liking the sounds of the drums is more important to me than what's covering them. The wrap finishes to tend to be a little less prone to scratches, bumps and nicks. The last two kits I acquired were wraps.

Dennis

Primary kit is lacquer, as Saturns aren't offered in a wrap. I'd love to have the same kit in a wrap, though. Most of my gigs are one-nighters, and four years of wear-and-tear on the kit is showing. Wraps would handle the "rough duty" more easily and with less scarring.

I got 2 kits, both lacquer. The first has a satin finish for my home studio, the other glossy for gigs. I don't think I would choose satin finish again, you can see every scratch and piece of dust on it.

I also think lacquer gets scratched more easily. But it looks nice.

My Rockstars are a wrap but my next purchase is going to be a laquer. I've fallen in love with the Meridian Maple Cobalt Burst (SQ) - the same finish that Trilogy has!

Back