Anyone familiar with Majestic kits?

I believe they were a MIJ Pearl made stencil kit,the lugs are a slingerland copy,a lot of those kits had pearls copy Sling stick saver rims,but those look to be triple flange.

The Shells from the 60's are generally 3 ply Luan with usually maple or some hardwood re rings,later 70's kit were 6 ply Luan a lot of the time.

From what I understand they can be made to sound pretty good with some edge work,and some lacquer on the inside of the shells to preserve the wood and brighten them up a tad,a lot of Jazz guys do use them because they can tweak them for a good jazz sound and they are a little quieter than vintage kits made of hardwoods and modern kits with sharp edges.

The 60's MIJ kits offered really cool and unique wraps like the one you posted,so finding a matching floor tom might take awhile, but I have seen that wrap on pearl and other stencil kits,so they are out there.

As far as pricing goes, bass, tom, floor tom combos usually go for 150.00 to 250.00, sometimes even with a matching snare,a 150.00 kit may get another 25.00 to 50.00 with a matching snare,but they rarely go over 250.00 even then.An all original kit with matching snare and a cool / unusual/desirable wrap may go for 350.00 on the right day.

On the kit you are looking at,because the Ft may take some effort to find that negates the matching snare a little IMO,while having the Matching snare is cool,generally they don't sound that good IMO,I would rather have the matching FT.I think the price is a little high by 25.00 to 50.00 ,unless that cymbal is a nice condition old 60's 70's A Zil,depending on it's condition could make that kit a good or great deal,if it is a ride you might could flip it for 50.00 to 100.00 depending on condition.

Typical CL listing. MAJESTIC ... AWESOME ... FIRM ....​
And what sizes might those drums be?​
How ''bout "YOU'RE ASKING TOO MUCH MONEY !!!​
Yeah, get into a "vintage" drum set for a fraction of the cost of a Ludwig ... because this kit is only a fraction of the quality of a Ludwig. 6 lug kick drum ?​
If the kit had a floor tom, like Eamesuser said, then it "might" be worth it. Then again, the seller probably knows little, about drums. If that cymbal turns out to be an old Zildjian (or something akin to), then $160 would be a steal, for the cymbal alone. If, however, that cymbal came with that kit (and those kits usually had a hi-hat and ride/crash) ... then good bet the cymbal is junk.​
I had one of those stencil kits ... other than the cool wrap, I'd shop for something else ...​

I know they are a Japanese company who made kits in the 60s and 70s.......they were priced with lower to mid range kits back then.

almost positive that the manufacturers at Pearl in the 1960s made these shells for Majestic as well as many other drum distributors from that era

Im pretty sure they still make marching snares, bass drums, and tenors

I had a set like that that was labeled "Kent", and I'm sure there are many others. I managed to make mine sound OK with decent heads, but there's a reason they were cheap to begin with ;)

Back