Ludwig Copper Phonic

Mojo.Rising

Apologies if already posted,i used the search feature no results came.
Anyways anybody anxious,anticipating,test drove(review) and put a "must have" on this baby yet?

Attachments

• ludwig copper.jpg
    ludwig copper.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 5,816
I'm going to assume that it is a 3MM copper shell, which will put it in line with their Brass, Black Beauty, and Bronze lines. So it's going to share attributes with that family, but have a slightly different overtone. My 'guess' would be that it sounds like the bronze offering (LB 552?).

Last edited:
I would be very interested to hear some information on this drum. Very interested.

What does copper do for the sound of a drum?

For me it's a must...........
hear. I want to play one to see what it sounds like.

I like the looks of it.
I'd hate to have one that was all shined up, and then have to try and keep it that way.

This is the info I've read. Interstate Music site (of all the sites right?)

With close to 100 years' experience building copper timpani, the 6.5x14" Ludwig LC663 Copper Phonic Snare Drum is the newest member to the Ludwig USA snare drum range. This legend in the making features a dark, lightly lacquered copper finish, 1.2mm thick shell, Imperial lugs and 2.3mm hoops. Comes with a P85 throw-off and a P33 snare butt. Available in 5x14" and 6.5x14" sizes.

http://www.interstatemusic.com/964473-Ludwig-LC663-Copper-Phonic-Snare-Drum-6-5x14-.aspx

I know Bermuda scored one. Not sure if he got to gig it yet.

I spent 7 glorious days at NAMM (SEVEN??!!) tuning and playing the 6.5" snare, and it's one of the best metal snares I've played... possibly the best. It's a little bit aluminum Supra, a little bit Black Beauty, a little bit Bronze, and somehow a little bit woody. It's just magic. If it was a cymbal, I'd even say it was complex. :)

I know that Yamaha had a copper (seamless?) snare some time ago, but I think the Ludwig is a better drum.

Pricewise, they're comparable to the Bronze Supra, which is maybe $20 more than the Black Beauty (the 6.5" model.) They should be available in a few months. Dealer response was very good, so I think they'll be easy to find.

Bermuda

I spent 7 glorious days at NAMM (SEVEN??!!) tuning and playing the 6.5" snare, and it's one of the best metal snares I've played... possibly the best. It's a little bit aluminum Supra, a little bit Black Beauty, a little bit Bronze, and somehow a little bit woody. It's just magic. If it was a cymbal, I'd even say it was complex. :)

I know that Yamaha had a copper (seamless?) snare some time ago, but I think the Ludwig is a better drum.

Pricewise, they're comparable to the Bronze Supra, which is maybe $20 more than the Black Beauty (the 6.5" model.) They should be available in a few months. Dealer response was very good, so I think they'll be easy to find.

Bermuda

I used to own a Yamaha SD-6105 seamless copper snare. Complex indeed, but wonderful. Shouldn't have sold it... Why do you say you think the Ludwig is a better drum?

Dutch

Thanks for the review Mr.Bermuda,man the whole plan was to get the ludalloy and the BB or COB and I'm done.

Well along comes Copper Phonic and all of its glory.Go figure.

I used to own a Yamaha SD-6105 seamless copper snare. Complex indeed, but wonderful. Shouldn't have sold it... Why do you say you think the Ludwig is a better drum?

Dutch

I just don't recall being nearly as excited about the Yamaha. It's a terrific snare, but not nearly the ear-opener the Ludwig is for me. I suppose an a/b test would be more revealing, but it got a lot of attention at NAMM from dealers and players. I'm not the only one excited about this drum. :)

Bermuda

Thanks for the review Mr.Bermuda,man the whole plan was to get the ludalloy and the BB or COB and I'm done.

Well along comes Copper Phonic and all of its glory.Go figure.

The Black Beauty is still a fabulous snare, as are the Bronze and regular and COB Supras. But the copper has each of the things that make those drums special, all wrapped into one. It's airy, focused, meaty, crisp, and has a little bit of a bark.

When these start showing up in stores, assuming they're tuned well, you'll hear all of that. Actually, even when it's not tuned well, like when I first took it out of the box at NAMM, it still had something. I knew the drum would be amazing, and with some quick tuning, it became excellent (even with the stock Ludwig Medium coated head!)

Bermuda

I knew the drum would be amazing, and with some quick tuning, it became excellent (even with the stock Ludwig Medium coated head!)

Some of us swear by those heads ;-)

Can the snare be obtained without the acid-wash or whatever faux-aging they've done to it?

How much does it weigh compared to a BB (which feels really heavy IMHO)?

They're just offering the "raw" finish, which has a light clearcoat to keep fingerprints at bay. I'm not sure if or how the finish might change over time.

I don't know if there will be a polished (or hammered) version, I guess it depends on the response to the drum, and any suggestions from drummers.

Bermuda

I'm interested but will wait for a polished version.
I have a 5.5x14 DW copper, rolled shell with flanges, not the current 3mm straight wall version and love it.

The COPPER PHONIC actually has me considering getting a LUDWIG snare drum, even with the crappy lugs on it, which I would shit can ASAP for some tubes.

I wouldn't want a polished one, this is it (for me), could have it polished myself if wanted.

I think this will be a big hit for LUDWIG, even with the splay, crappy lugs, crappy strainer and all.

If LUDWIG were so daring, they could offer it as a raw shell (no hardware), sales would be out the roof.

I have a copper AK snare which is very, very nice. I think that this copper Ludwig snare will be a good seller given its distribution network and Ludwig's reputation for first class snares.

GJS

Shit!! Another Ludwig metal snare I don't need, yet will be compelled to seek out and spend money I don't have, on. Damn you Ludwig. The Supralite was easy to walk past.....I've never cared for steel snares and never thought I was missing anything by not giving it a hearing. But this is a whole 'nother story.

The only copper snare I can ever recall playing was a copper shell Pearl Free Floater in the late 80's or early 90's. I remember liking it a lot. I fear a copper shell with Imperials will be just far too tempting to ignore.

Back