Billy Cobham find

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
For all of the old timers that can remember 1972, there was an album out by a Jazz pianist by the name of Eumir Deodato. The big song or hit on that album was Also Sprach Zarathustra. This tune is best known as the theme song for the movie, 2001 A Space Odyssey. Its nine minutes long and a great tune, and the drummer was non other than Billy Cobham.

I had the album so I've known about the all star cast for some time. Airto as well!

Hard to imagine a track like that in the Top 40 these days :(

The industry's filters have become much much more strict since that track hit #2 in the US. The industry mandarins have perfected their "art" and can now ensure that top class music can't slip through the net and spoil their smorgasbord of immature tedium.

If young people get too much of a taste for good music then producers might have to start hiring real musicians instead of less expensive programmers - and that would be a disaster for them!

Ah, Poly, when you're right, you're right.

Too bad you're so right, right now.

One of my favorite albums.
It was very popular in my home town of Montreal and played often on the best FM station of the time ChOM FM.
Another rare album that has Cobham goes back to 1964 I beleive and it is an album by Wes Montgomery. Heard it once and never encountered it again. I could be wrong about the date of the album but it definatly was back in that period.

Just remembered another. I had George Benson's Blue Benson album and Billy Cobham played straight ahead on GB's version of Billie's Bounce.

The title of that song reminds me of an interveiw with Billy Cobham from a great magazine, now defunct, called Musician,Player & Listener. In it he speaks of when he was a child and the only thing availabe for the kids of area was to get involved in were marching bands and that they would hotdog or cut heads as the term was known in piano circles by keeping a quarter up against the wall by way of paradiddle's and then the next kid would come up and take over. I think that the winner was the one who did not let it drop to the floor.

I remember him sounding like Buddy Miles, not as good as Buddy's sound but very simular. Strong pocket and physically strong player back then theres alot I heard after McClaughlin sp. sorry) that doesn't appeal to me at all. Extended fills on huge kits can't hold me for long it becomes gymnastics on drums after a while. Its like listen to eddie van hallen, how long can you stand distortion and finger tappin' and the over use of a whamie bar, not long for me. Doc

Just remembered another. I had George Benson's Blue Benson album and Billy Cobham played straight ahead on GB's version of Billie's Bounce.

I think I must have been mistaken. I was sure that it was Wes Montgomery but after searching the web I found no indication of such a collaberation. I only glanced at the CD notes breifly as I was listening to it at a quiet pub in Toronto. It was a best of release and I definatly saw Cobham's name on one cut made in 64. There was a very intriguing Beatles cover as well that I remember. I am going back to the late 80's when I heard this so defintly I could be mistaken about it being Wes or George. Perhaps someone knows for sure. Thanks for pointing out the Benson collaberation. In my search I found out that he played for Peter Gabriel's soundtrack to "The Last Temptation of Christ". I have watched the movie several times and I did not know that. He certainly is prolific.

Back