Are there drummers that do this?

JLoveDrums94

This may sound a bit difficult to understand, but I’ll try to be as clear as I can.

Are there some drummers in bands that don’t really own their stuff ? (snare drums, cymbals, etc.)
This was brought to my attention by my dad when I told him about this drummer that plays with a different snare drum at almost every concert. I’ve seen this drummer use what looks like a DW 14x6.5 Aluminum Collectors Snare Drum in one picture and or video, I’ve seen him use what looks like a DW 14x4 Brass Collectors Snare in another. I’ve seen him use a Yamaha 14x7 Nouveau Brass Snare Drum in this one video. I saw him play in concert a couple months ago and he was using what looked like a DW 14x6.5 Stainless Steel Collectors Snare Drum. I’ve seen him (only once) use a Pearl Signature Vinnie Paul Snare Drum on a live concert DVD. I told my dad about this drummer and he said “maybe he doesn’t really own all those snare drums, maybe he just goes to a drum shop and rents a snare drum for the night or for a round of concerts in that area… and maybe all he does is tune them up to his liking and then brings them back to the shop when he’s done, and then does it again in the next town.”

Is that possible, are there drummers that really do this?

Yes.

Not that they don't own their own gear, but that they do not travel with their own gear.

Many bands do not have the budget to travel with all their gear and rely on rental companies to supply the gear needed (often called providing the back line). Many pro bands do what are known as "fly outs" in they they don't tour all week long, but just play certain weekends, and they fly to the venue, and use rented gear for the show. Even major touring bands might have one off shows that don't fit into their normal touring system and will use rental gear because it's easier then or impossible to get their trucks to the one venue for the one show. Or if a band is supposed to do two shows in one day in two locations (i.e a TV appearance during the day, a regular show at night), their regular gear might be one one venue, with rental gear and the the other venue.

Also, in festival situations where there are numerous bands all playing in one day, it's common to have one house kit that all the bands use.

Even just playing local gigs, there have been plenty of times where I played a house kit, and even in my humble pictures and videos, the drum set I'm seen with is not always mine.

most of the time touring artists that are not DIY indie artists are not playing their own gear at all .....

the companies they endorse will provide tour gear

but even artists who do not endorse a certain companies gear will get support from music stores if you are a working touring musician

while on Warped tour in '06 I had some gear trouble in Texas.......I walked into the local Guitar Center with a management representative of the band I was touring with and walked out with the gear I needed without paying a cent

gear I still have to this day......I have no idea if anyone ever payed for it or anything...I assume it was paid for by someone....I just have no idea who

bottom line artists will either be given gear to use by the company they endorse.....or will be lent gear by stores or rehearsal studios if they or the act they are traveling with are reputable

most of the time touring artists that are not DIY indie artists are not playing their own gear at all .....

the companies they endorse will provide tour gear

but even artists who do not endorse a certain companies gear will get support from music stores if you are a working touring musician

while on Warped tour in '06 I had some gear trouble in Texas.......I walked into the local Guitar Center with a management representative of the band I was touring with and walked out with the gear I needed without paying a cent

gear I still have to this day......I have no idea if anyone ever payed for it or anything...I assume it was paid for by someone....I just have no idea who

bottom line artists will either be given gear to use by the company they endorse.....or will be lent gear by stores or rehearsal studios if they or the act they are traveling with are reputable

Here we are, the perfect answer, no further replies needed.... :)

I know M.A.D has said no replies needed but I'll throw this in.

One of my local shops in Sheffield (Drum-Stop Ltd) are constantly providing gear for bands. Some actually go to Sheffield to pick gear up before they tour, even though they could be from 200 miles off. That could be domestic or international tour too.

Their shop is litered with signed skins and the guys who handle the customer also usually gets free tickets/crew pass to that night's gig.

Shops don't mind that happening at all, because it's almost a free promotion for them. The gear gets paid for by the artist/record label/endorsement, the shop workers get free tickets AND as a bonus someone "famous" coming into the store making it more attractive to younger drummers.

Also bare in mind how much time is inbetween each sighting of that drummer you mentioned. Sometimes they might purely need to replace their snare. Some bands travel with a spare if they have the space and I know a lot of drummers who have going on 7 or 8 snares that they personally own.

While on tour, I'll sweep through the local pawn/music shops, looking for scores, whether it be an outrageously good deal or a unique enough drum/cymbal that I just have to snag so I can tinker with it. I had a run of, like, 5 days in a row where I played a new snare each night--a snare that I had just picked up THAT DAY. Yeah, it was pretty frivolous, but a whole lot of fun, and I've since become MUCH more selective with what I buy. Nowadays I come home from a quick 2 week jaunt with only a couple more cymbals than I originally left with.

So, yeah, I can understand why you might see a drummer with lots of different drums... :D

What's odd is that there is this one snare drum that I've seen him use very commonly and I think, perhaps this one may actually belong to the drummer. It looks like a customized DW 14x6.5 Aluminum Collectors Snare Drum w/ Black Chrome Hardware. Is it possible, or do you think it could just be another borrow? Thanks.

What's odd is that there is this one snare drum that I've seen him use very commonly and I think, perhaps this one may actually belong to the drummer. It looks like a customized DW 14x6.5 Aluminum Collectors Snare Drum w/ Black Chrome Hardware. Is it possible, or do you think it could just be another borrow? Thanks.

The only way to find this out is to ask him.

The only way to find this out is to ask him.

I can't tell you how much I'd love to do that. I just want to ask security (when this band comes into my town) if they could let me go on stage and just take a peek at what they use... Because they always play at this night club (not arena or anything that big.) But I'm sure they'll tell me no because they'll probably think I'll try to sabotage their equipment.

Most likely GC billed the management company.
They have a Pro Account's program set with major management companies that represent touring bands.

When I worked at GC, it was not uncommon for roadies from pre-approved major bands or major management companies to come in and pick up gear, and we write it up as a sale, but no money exchanged hands, instead GC's management would send them a bill for the total.

They have a Pro Account's program set with major management companies that represent touring bands.

When I worked at GC, it was not uncommon for roadies from pre-approved major bands or major management companies to come in and pick up gear, and we write it up as a sale, but no money exchanged hands, instead GC's management would send them a bill for the total.

From my experience that's also the case in the UK. Its a lot of fun if you are the drummer and takes very little getting used to ;-)

most likely

I was just pumped to have some fresh new gear for free :)

it made the rest of the tour quite enjoyable

Back