Your Guilty Pleasures?

larryz

Platinum Member
A fun question (I think)...share your thoughts at will.

Mine? Carpenters, Barry Manilow, Bee Gees, Abba, Seals & Crofts, Partridge Family. Ouch.

At least with the Carpenters and Partridges you got Hal Blaine on drums for the most part.

Amen on the Bee Gees! There is a huge part of me that is secretly in LOVE with disco. So groovy. And I love the post-disco, dance-pop, throw back songs coming out now like "Moves like Jagger" by Maroon 5. Once again, so groovy. I also find myself liking Katy Perry more and more... As much as it pains me to say it, I just bough her album.

I'm currently diggin' on an old bass drum pedal with strap drive. Imagine my surprise when I rang up the local Guitar Center and they didn't know what I was talking about when I said I was looking for a replacement strap!

I've always liked that Gilbert O'Sulllivan song, "Alone Again Naturally" ;)

The Monkees,The Association,Elton John,Billy Joel( no I take that one back,Billy is cool and whoever dosen't think he isn't can bite me) and the Bee Gees even though I HATE Disco.

Steve B

A fun question (I think)...share your thoughts at will.

Mine? Carpenters, Barry Manilow, Bee Gees, Abba, Seals & Crofts, Partridge Family. Ouch.

At least with the Carpenters and Partridges you got Hal Blaine on drums for the most part.

Nothing wrong with the Carpenters...Karen was a pretty good drummer herself. Said she always fancied herself a drummer that could sing as opposed to the other way around! Probably the first girl drummer I remember, a great influence.

Other 70's guilty pleasures for me include Bread, The Babys, ELO. And then we move to the 80's....ahh sooo many, so little room to list them..lol. Bands such as Loverboy, Triumph, Hall and Oates...you get the idea.

You know...if you like it, you like it. :)

For me it is Boney James ... yes, smooth jazz. I am so ashamed.

Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra. Grew up with my parents playing their music and I just love it. I have seen almost all of their movies as well.

Frank Sinatra is high quality stuff. September of my Years is one of my favourite albums ever.

I don't really feel guilty about anything, but some maybe think Nick Kershaw isn't cool. Cool Vinnie stuff, though.

Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra. Grew up with my parents playing their music and I just love it. I have seen almost all of their movies as well.

I second that and I would add Tony Bennett, Michael Buble, Michael Finestine and Harry Connick Jr. Anyone who does Gershwin and Cole Porter, etc. is ok by me.

some maybe think Nick Kershaw isn't cool. Cool Vinnie stuff, though.
"The Works" album by Nick Kershaw is the best damn pure pop album of all time IMO, & not just because of the Vinnie/Porcaro element either. Kershaw's composition & hook writing skills on that album are sublime, & almost without peer. Truly an album for anyone's music collection.

I don't get to feeling very guilty about much. Except maybe Journey and (at times) Rush. If I liked Dream Theater or Styx, I would feel ashamed about that! But that's just it: if it rubs me wrong then I don't like it. I tried liking Winger because I had been such a Dregs fan, but it was just so bad, and I kind of felt bad for Rod Morgenstein having to make tough guy faces in their pictures and doff his trademark tie-dye shirts. I used to like Quiet Riot despite that they were the original cheeze-core metal band, but they were kind of fun in a not too serious way and Frankie Banalli was a monstrous drummer - and maybe still is, who knows?

Seriously, I'm pretty open minded and nothing really makes me feel shame if I like it. But I don't go on and on about my love for The Ting Tings around my heavily tattoo'd goth friends since I know in advance that'll just get me mocked. Katy Perry cracks me up and is catchy - so no shame there.

70's pop music.
Abba, Bee Gees, Carpenters, a lot of the disco.
Mostly stuff from 70-78 is my favorite.

Check out a song by Foster Sylvers called "Misdemeanor" (YouTube) and listen to the bass drum pattern-very fun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky5nZ8afPjI&feature=related
I asked Zorro if he knew the drummer on that one, but he didn't--then he came back and said he had that song in his head all day haha!
Barry White... pretty cool stuff.
Gilbert O'Sulllivan "Alone Again Naturally" of course. "Seasons in the Sun"--even though it's kinda creepy haha!
Barry Manilow--genius writer. Neil Sedaka as well.
Seals & Crofts...

Plus all the kick ass rock bands...that just goes without saying, & not really a guilty pleasure.

Last edited:
Duke Ellington, Bee Gees, Abba...
They're just too good!

I also find myself liking Katy Perry more and more... As much as it pains me to say it, I just bough her album.

Don't feel bad, man. I own all of her albums.. and I'm even travelling to Argentina to see her show this September 27th. :D

Yeah, my friends make fun of me, haha, but it's good fun. I can't wait to see that godess a few feet away with my own eyes!!! :D Hehe.

Cheers.

Hal Blaine plaid the drums for them?

My guilty pleasure is George Michael

shhhhhh
Check out Hal Blains discography.He played on more stuff than you can believe,in the studio.He's the favorite drummer that you never knew about.

Steve B

I like the song Fred Flintstone did in that one episode where he was a rock star..."The Twitch"

Back