Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Nitemare

Did you switch to Tama from Sonor? Why?

I just play Tama Speedcobra pedals and the Tama Cobra Clutch pedal. I haven't changed drums. Where did you read that?

cheers
Gavin

I saw an ad in DRUM! of you with a Speedcobra, i figured you had switched drums because of the ad, sorry.

Hi Gavin
I have read here in thread that the overhead mics in your studio are set up above your head. I am curious in which configuration you record with them - XY, M/S, ORTF ...
Thank you

best regards
Marian

Hey Gavin! Thanks for the last answer it really helps to know this stuff for the times that I play along to the live version of Hatesong (it's really fun to play people!) And wow, apparently I hit it on the head with the question about the fill considering other people were speculating around it. Coincidentally enough, I'm looking to purchase a 6 inch A Custom Splash myself. THey are very nice sounding.

Thank you, Fox622003, for that transcription of the fill. That also helped a lot.

To the questions! Just another 2 that are fairly simple.

1) I've noticed lately that you've switched to one cymbal (instead of the normal two) that is placed over your toms. I realize it may be another one of your prototype crash bells (your 9 inch one is my favorite), so what exactly is it? What size? Will you be using just this one instead of the normal two from now on? (In my opinion, I prefer the other two instead of just the one)

2) There's this thing that you did in the live version of 'Drown With Me'. It sound like you're slurring the bass drum and snare together into one. It can be seen right away at 0:39 and 0:45 into the linked video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxccd6-H7cg

Thanks for answering.

Cheers --Peter

Hi Gavin,

some questions about your bassdrum recording.
You use a microphone on your batter head which points to the beaters, right?

I tried the same and I feel that this microphone also records very much from the snare. I tried to angle the mic a bit away from the snare but it didn't really help.
Do you have the same problem?
If so, how do you handle it? Gates?

I'm not quite sure but I remember that you mentioned that you never gate anything. is that right?

Thanks for your answer!
David

I know that you own and have tried many different snare drums. I already have a Delite 5.5 x 14, but I'm looking for a birch drum (14x5) to give me more crack and snap than the Delite.

My question is, have you ever tested (or do you own) an S-Classix snare? How do they stack up to some of your other birch snare drums, considering the 5mm thin S-Classix shell and sharp bearing edges? Would you recommend going with a medium or heavy shell SQ2 birch drum instead of the thin shell S-Classix?

Thanks!

Dear mr Harrison,

Let me first thank you for your inspiring way of playing the drums (or writing / making music generally)... as most of us can agree on, it is pretty much jawdropingly brilliant...

And now for my question (please dont mind the grammar, me being Dutch and stuff):
One of the biggest questions I always intend to ask myself, is how to keep myself being inspired...

I noticed I have long periods that I can't be dragged away from my musical instruments, and other periods that I do not even look at my drumkit, because I know I won't be able to get into the groove and feel, so it'll probably end up in frustration anyway...

So my question to you would be:
How do you keep yourself inspired?

Especially a musician like you that is playing the drums for so many hours a week (am I right?), I'm guessing that somewhere during your career there must have been a time that you knew you were less inspired (I'm just guessing here...) ?

From my experience, I know I can play the drums, like, 3 times better when I can get into the groove, but I need inspiration for that...

I know it is probably a psychological question, and I realise it is probably hard to answer, but do you know any kind of methods/ways to insure that "you're doing the right thing" as far as feeling and inspiration goes?

Once again, thank you very much for your contribution to the musical world!

Erwin

Re: Gavin Harrison

The only thing that dissapoints me is that his drumming is still untouchable by me!!I just cant do the licks he does!!Listen to orchidia! Man the guy is ruling there.Wedding nails too...and many other songs!I hope porcupine tree realeases some live dvd in order to see him playing on camera.Just amazing!

Just stick with it. I no longer play in a band (nerve issues on right arm/shoulder), but I mess around in my basement with various tunes. One of my favorite songs to play is "Sound of Muzak"...I have gotten pretty decent at it. Playing along to Porcupine Tree I think is making me a better drummer, not just in playing odd time signatures, but the subtle brilliance and creativity of Gavin Harrison has helped me play with more consistency, tempo and fluidity. It's hard to explain, but I'm with you that Gavin is an inspiration.

Basically, after playing Porcupine Tree tunes, when you 'go on your own', you just feel like you're better for having played (even if not correctly) Gavin's music.

As far as watching him play...Youtube has some good stuff of PT and/or Gavin playing live stuff.

Hi Gavin,
how are you?
Ive got one question.Can you tell me from what event this picture is?
p674298142-3.jpg

Seeing this - it would be AMAZING to have a "drum-battle" with you and Danny one day!

Thanks,
Chris

Hi Gavin,

recently I feel a little pain in my wrist of the left hand. I use my fingers alot when playing.
I tried different things like turning my hand "inward" but it didn't really help.

Now just a couple of days ago I found out that when I hold my left arm nearer to my body it seems to get a little better.

Do you have any advice which aspects could be responsible for wrist-pain ?

Thank you very much!
Best regards
Paul

Hey Gavin,

I notice you don't play the kick drum so much during fills, except to use it as another voice or between your hands. I've heard you say in clinic that you think of the kick drum/double bass the way one would think of ghost notes between snare accents.

Do you ever play four-on-the-floor during fills? If not, is it because you don't like the sound?

Also, since your hands and kick are so intertwined, I'm guessing you must have the toms pretty hot in the mix to compensate. Is that true? If you played acoustically (no mics at all) do you think you'd have a different approach? (Seeing as how the kick & snare tend to be louder than the toms without mics.)

Anyway, sorry for not phrasing that into a better question, just would like to hear your thoughts. I'm realizing that the micing of a drumkit is a big factor in how one plays it and was curious about your evolution of playing over the years in regards to mic setups.

Thanks,
Matt

Oh man... Gavin is easily in my top 5 favourite drummers ever since I first heard him. His musical sensibilities really set him apart in my opinion as he is one of the tastiest players and has such a keen ear. He knows just what to play and when. And his touch is extraordinary.

Amazing player. I wish he'd come and do a clinic in Vancouver, BC. Please Gavin!

Hi VIeniu

Is there any opportunity to get Porcupine Tree play-alongs?

No - sorry.

Hi Swiss Matthias

Gavin, do you ever practice stuff out of books nowadays? If so, which ones?

yes I still practise out of some books. I recently bought Dave DiCenso's new book and I'm trying to find some spare time to really get into it.

Hi siddhant.seth

1. Do the mics catch signals they are not supposed to(like snare mic catching tom toms etc)... as in is there any leakage of sound in the mics?2. If yes, do you cut them off from the mix or do you let them be?

Yes all the mics can hear all the drums to some degree. That's part of the sound of the instrument - and no I don't cut them off or gate them in the mix.

Hi larzzzz

I have read here in thread that the overhead mics in your studio are set up above your head. I am curious in which configuration you record with them - XY, M/S, ORTF ...
Thank you

here's the short answer: XY

Hi K_HiHats

1) I've noticed lately that you've switched to one cymbal (instead of the normal two) that is placed over your toms. I realize it may be another one of your prototype crash bells (your 9 inch one is my favorite), so what exactly is it? What size? Will you be using just this one instead of the normal two from now on? (In my opinion, I prefer the other two instead of just the one)

Sometimes I just use the 7" custom 'crash bell' at the front of the kit.

2) There's this thing that you did in the live version of 'Drown With Me'. It sound like you're slurring the bass drum and snare together into one. It can be seen right away at 0:39 and 0:45 into the linked video.

They are inverted doubles played as 32nd notes. KLLK KLLK K etc.

Hi Kalma

You use a microphone on your batter head which points to the beaters, right?

the microphone (Shure SM91) is inside the drum resting on the pillow - not outside pointing at the beaters. I don't think I've ever done that.

I'm not quite sure but I remember that you mentioned that you never gate anything. is that right?

correct.

Hi formula428

My question is, have you ever tested (or do you own) an S-Classix snare? How do they stack up to some of your other birch snare drums, considering the 5mm thin S-Classix shell and sharp bearing edges? Would you recommend going with a medium or heavy shell SQ2 birch drum instead of the thin shell S-Classix?

I've never played an S-Classix drum so I can't comment about that - sorry.

Hi ErwinvanAsperen

So my question to you would be:
How do you keep yourself inspired?

Life inspires me - art, architecture and design. Listening to musicians who aren't drummers inspire me.

I know it is probably a psychological question, and I realise it is probably hard to answer, but do you know any kind of methods/ways to insure that "you're doing the right thing" as far as feeling and inspiration goes?

I don't have any methods I can tell you about. I just follow my nose - try to avoid cliches and things I've done before.

Hi CareyCopelandCameron

Ive got one question.Can you tell me from what event this picture is?

Late in January 2011 I went to see Gregg Bissonette play a gig in a bar in LA. I was with Danny, Jojo and Marco Soccoli and we met Carmine there too. Great night out!!

Hi totopaul

recently I feel a little pain in my wrist of the left hand. I use my fingers alot when playing.
I tried different things like turning my hand "inward" but it didn't really help.
Now just a couple of days ago I found out that when I hold my left arm nearer to my body it seems to get a little better. Do you have any advice which aspects could be responsible for wrist-pain ?

do you play traditional grip?

Hi Matty G.

I notice you don't play the kick drum so much during fills, except to use it as another voice or between your hands. I've heard you say in clinic that you think of the kick drum/double bass the way one would think of ghost notes between snare accents.
Do you ever play four-on-the-floor during fills? If not, is it because you don't like the sound?

I don't like the sound of 4-on-the-floor during a drum fill. Come to think of it I don't like 16ths-on-the-floor either.

Also, since your hands and kick are so intertwined, I'm guessing you must have the toms pretty hot in the mix to compensate. Is that true? If you played acoustically (no mics at all) do you think you'd have a different approach? (Seeing as how the kick & snare tend to be louder than the toms without mics.)

I don't think I do have the toms 'hot in the mix'. When I play and listen to them acoustically they sound balanced to my ears.

Hi space jeff

I wish he'd come and do a clinic in Vancouver, BC. Please Gavin!

your wish might come true.

cheers
Gavin

1. Have you ever experienced other Audix products like Audix D2 and D4 (toms)? Or Audix overheads? I just bought a DP7 kit and it sounds very professionnal for the price!

2. Is there any release date annonced or informations/previews for GH05 3?

Please come to Montreal for a drum clinic while you're in Canada.
It's the city of Prog! We're all waiting for you... :)

Thanks for your time!

Will

Hi keep it simple

are you attending the London drum show, October 15th - 16th?

I should be there on the 15th.

Hi willregnier

1. Have you ever experienced other Audix products like Audix D2 and D4 (toms)? Or Audix overheads? I just bought a DP7 kit and it sounds very professionnal for the price!

I've used them in a live setting and thought that they were good - but I didn't get chance to try them in my studio yet.

2. Is there any release date annonced or informations/previews for GH05 3?

It should be available for order at the end of November. Sorry it's taking so long. I'll post some preview samples as soon as I can at my FaceBook site https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gavin-Harrison/96557593864

Please come to Montreal for a drum clinic while you're in Canada.
It's the city of Prog!

I'd love to but it's not on the schedule this time. These will be the only Canadian clinics dates:

October 24th, 2011
WATERLOO, ON.
Long & McQuade Musical Instruments
36 King St. N.
Waterloo, ON N2J 2W8
519-885-4215
Darren McLelland

October 25th, 2011
EDMONTON, AB.
9219 28th Avenue N.W.
Edmonton, AB. T6N 1N1
780-432-0102
Darcy Kadatz

October 26th, 2011
VICTORIA, BC.
756 Hillside Avenue
Victoria, BC V8T 1Z4
250-384-3622
Sean Mitchell

October 27th, 2011
VANCOUVER, BC.
368 Terminal Avenue
Vancouver, BC V6A 3W9
604-734-4886
Shane Wilson

cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin - thanks for answering all those questions for us!!

Question on monitor sound level (I mean all the band, except for myself): I've found that
there's kind of two ways for me: Either I keep everything as low as possible, so I have
maximal focus on my drums, and my ears are taken care after.
Or I have a rather big monitor sound, feel everything great and my drums really are
embedded in the sound. That way I think there's more energy and drive from the start.

Now my question is: Do you feel the volume of the monitor sound influences your drumming,
can you play a concert kind of blind flight barely hearing the other instruments, or is there a
big difference whether you have a big monitor sound or not?

Hope you understand what I'm trying to say...

Hi Gavin, thank you so much for taking the time to answer all these questions - really is much appreciated by everyone here!

I'm sure I read somewhere that you were once a member of the National Youth Jazz Orchestra. Is that true?
If it is that's pretty cool as I've just joined the band myself!

And now for another slightly trivial question - is it true that you played drums on the Bottom theme tune? I'm sure I read that somewhere too!

Cheers
Robin.

Hi Gavin,

I DON'T play traditional grip, so the left and right hand are both playing the same "rock-grip" (like Simon Phillips e.g).

Here's my question:

Now just a couple of days ago I found out that when I hold my left arm nearer to my body it seems to get a little better. Do you have any advice which aspects could be responsible for wrist-pain ?

best regards
Paul

Back