Snare Project

macr0w

I've gotten a wild hair to try and build a stave snare out of some black walnut that I have laying around.

Here's my material:
BlackWalnut002.jpg

I'm going to make a 10 lug 14x7 with cast hoops.

I've got my plans together and I'm under way.
I've got the layout and the angles all figured.
I've got a local guy that is helping me out with some of the tools I don't own like a plainer, a joiner and a lathe.

I will post more pics as I progress. :)

Great

Really would like to see how this turns out

Awesome! I love walnut snares.

Make sure to carefully choose your bearing edge design: it's one of the most important components of drums sound. You probably already know that though!

I might suggest talking to keep it simple (Andy) here of the forum. He has recently finished some breakthrough drum designs and knows tons of things about drum construction, especially stave!

Here is his thread on his crazy drums... http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79440

Thanks guys.

Here is a couple of pics of a "prototype I'm putting together out of some oak I had laying around.

I'm going to use it's construction to work out the kinks before I screw up my walnut.

OakStaves003.jpg

OakStaves005.jpg

I'm working on my clamping jig today.

Wish me luck. :)

You don't need a clamping jig when gluing up a stave shell. It will hold it's shape perfectly when you have your angles dead on. The only thing you need to clamp it is a couple of racheting strap/band clamps and crank 'em down.

That's cool, Thanks for the tip.

I am using ratchet straps.

I was just cutting a couple of disks to go inside the shell.

I might go see how it does without it now that you say that.

Getting the diameter just right is a pain in the ass. lol

Here's a pic of my progress with the black walnut.

It's ready for gluing. :)

OakStaves014.jpg

Last edited:
Thats beautiful! I sure wish I had the patience and means to make a snare like that, what hoops and hard wear are you going to finish it off with?

I am going to be using Ego double ended round lugs, die cast hoops and a Trick throwoff/butt plate set.

It was turned on a lathe both inside and out.

I'm going for a natural finish.

I'm real excited but I'm trying to take my time and be cautious.

I hope all my hardware shows up soon.

In the mean time I have a lot of sanding to do.

Just curious..did you cut the bearing edges on the lathe or a router table?Beautiful drum so far.Its going to look great when you're done.

Steve B

The bearing edge was done on a router table.

The guy whose shop I used has a killer saw/router table.

I can put another one of these together easily if anyone wants one. :)

Mac that is beautiful. Waiting with bated breath for the finish.

Beautiful snare. I'd love to hear how it sound's after the hardware is applied. With the die cast hoops and double ended round lugs that will be one classy snare.

Back