Who here actually knows the story behind the lyrics to thier favourite drumming songs?

We all have our favourite drumming songs / albums however, how many of us actually know the story behind the lyrics to these songs? Do we even know all the lyrics?

I can think of many songs which I regularly listen to and have done for many years however, if someone was to ask me what these songs are about, I wouldn’t have a clue!

It just goes to show that we naturally zone in to the drumming style, sound & groove patterns and everything else on the recordings are just secondary. Am I alone on this one?

Story behind the lyrics is usually the situation in the show that the song originally appeared in. the lyricist was trying to express that dramatic situation and was usually also fitting the words to the tune the composer had already come up with. I play a lot of Jazz Standards i.e. Showtunes. these are/were written by professionals so the story is they showed up and did their job and none of this amateur "I woke up and was feeling this etc." That sort of thing sounds great for interviews in teen mags by rock stars but it's a far cry from how music and lyrics are actually written.

I am 100% drummer. I don't even KNOW half of the lyrics to both of my own bands songs.

I listen to drums first, melody (guitar/bass) second, the melody of the vocals 3rd, lyrics last. haha

Thanks for your comments guys!

Over the past couple of weeks I have been focusing more on the lyrical content to some of my favourite songs (some of which I have enjoyed playing for many years) and it's really surprising how this process can totally change your perspective of the song and the artist / band! Often in a positive way but other times I wish I had just remained zoned in on the drumming!

Cheers, Miles.

I play Americana music these days, and the thing I love about Americana music is that you don't have to search too deep in the lyrics to find what they are about. It's obvious, and it's honest. I've got three college degrees, one of which is in English. I enjoy simplicity these days. I'm too tired to search for hidden meaning and nuance. I have the ability to do it, and I've done it a lot in the past; however, these days I avoid it. I leave that for people who have more time and energy than I do. I take "honest and obvious" any day.

I was a heck of a lot happier, when I had no clue what the lyrics said. When I started to listen to them, my song list shrunk dramatically. I just don’t have time or patience for the drama queen, I’m downtrodden and it’s your fault BS lyrics in most songs. I’ve been listening to a ton of foreign music lately for two reasons. 1. Some countries still believe in musical quality, which we lost years ago. 2. I have no idea what they are saying and it’s fine by me.

I have always paid attention to drums, bass, and keyboards. I've never paid attention much to lyrics, and am at times surprised by the lyrics and their meanings.

I have absolutely no idea.

Ella Guru
Now here she comes walkin’
Lookin’ like uh zoo
Hello Moon Hello Moon
Hi Ella high Ella Guru
She know all the colors that nature do
High Ella high Ella Guru
High yella high red high blue she blew
High Ella high Ella Guru
She do what she mean
‘n she do what she do
Got sumptin’ fo’ me sumptin’ fo’ you
She sho’ sumptin’
She’s young too
Ella Guru Ella Guru
Ella Guru Ella Guru
Ha ha right right
Just dig it
That’s right “The Mascara Snake”
Fast ‘n bulbous
Tight also
Ella Guru Ella Guru
Ella Guru Ella Guru
Ella Guru

Well, I'm a big James Brown fan, and I still don't know what Hot Pants is about. And as for For Goodness Sakes, Take A Look At Those Cakes.

I'm joking, of course. Both songs are elegiac love letters to asses.

As I said, never paid much to little attention, Beatles Ticket to Ride. In Germany at the time, a permit to practice the oldest profession.

I do pay attention to lyrics. My problem is that I'm apparently horrible at discerning the actual words.

The number of times I've been singing a song and been interrupted by someone interjecting, 'Is that REALLY what you THINK the lyrics are?...' is just too many to count.

Great example was when I heard a country song with what I thought was a hilarious lyric, where the singer referred to himself as 'Jackassanova'. I told a co-worker how funny (and somewhat clever, in a schoolyard way) it was to coin such a phrase in describing a hapless romantic.

She informed me that the singer - George Strait - was actually singing 'Check Yes or No.'

I was pretty embarrassed...but at least I got a good band name out of it. (I couldn't let a name like 'Jackassanova' go to waste.)

My favourite drumming songs don't have lyrics. :)

Normally I don't care much about lyrics.

But last Christmas I got a book about the story behind all the Beatles lyrics. It includes pictures from collections and museums of napkins and notebooks etc. with scribbled bits of songs. Really interesting read.

Back