Custom drums delivery time

I ordered 3 Ludwig Classic Maple shells a couple months ago. They said they would get started on it the first of the year, with an ETA of 6-8 weeks. It's coming up on 8 weeks now and the drums are "still in manufacturing", and they did not give an ETA.

What do you think this means? Is it going to take another month, or longer? What has been your experience with Ludwig and their "6-8 weeks" time frame?

Thank you.

I got my Classic Maples in just a little over a month. But that was then. I imagine the time varies depending on how many orders they have at any given time.

Unfortunately, there's no way of getting an ETA as far as I know. So just find something to distract yourself until they get here. Good luck. :)

6-8 weeks isn't bad. Some companies take months. I had to wait three months for Pearl to make me a stock piano black lacquer 8x12 rack tom in the Reference Pure series. When I ordered my first DW kit back in the 90s, they told me it would be between 12 and 16 weeks. So I would think yours will be arriving soon. Keep in mind NAMM happened in January, and a lot of manufacturing slows down since they were prepping and attending that show too.

My Classic Maples took around 6 weeks too. Just got them a couple weeks ago. I had a set of Medicine Man drums made, around ten years ago, that only took a month.

It took 8 months for me to get my Tama Starclassic Maple. Mind you, mine was a HUGE custom order. I'm sure every manufacturer is different, but for custom kits expecting big wait times seems to be the norm.

Gelb here in Redwood City just got their Craviotto set.
Took one year.

Back