Talk About Emptying The Bathtub With A Tablespoon

i saw this video before and got about half way through, went over and tapped on my snare and said nah, it's OK. Amazing. Detune, tune, detune, skip two lugs.. No thanks.

This guy should do a whole series where he confuses people and over-complicates stuff that isn't that complicated.

:eyeroll:

I thought it was Fred Armisen doing Jens Hannemann.....

Lol....

Yes I've seen this before I think I posted it once on DW because it was so weird. Never tried his method-I love when he counts turns-it's like magic how multiple random turns becomes "four turns"-turn turn turn 1,2,3,4. Turn turn, 1,2,3,4, turn 1,2,3,4. It's magic. Seems like the uneven high tension could impact a wood snare in a negative way. He said it in his own words- "It's the greatest trick". I guess he wants to see how many will fall for it.

38 thousand likes, 1500 dislikes. One like from a culinary student. lol.

Funny this should pop up.

I thought for arguments sake I'd try this at a gig a few weeks back. (400 COB was the guinea pig snare)

Waste of time, the detuned lugs are all near the business end so they just detune even more mid song and you get a real dead flappy snare sound.

Spent more time pissing about with the tuning than I ever have at a gig.

Moral of this video, buy a good snare and tune it normally.

Another one for a Jeff Indyke award.

I’ve never gotten this method either. I just throw a homemade BFSD on the snare, and it works like a charm!

The beauty of this thread is, after reading the responses,
I don't even have to watch the video!

I've seen this video before. It's an interesting concept and seems to work ok, but I've never had an issue getting my snares to sound great with conventional tuning techniques. About the only thing I make sure to do with standard snare tuning is to keep the tuning lugs on the snare side a bit looser right next to the snares/snare bed, which (seems to) improves snare response.

The beauty of this thread is, after reading the responses,
I don't even have to watch the video!

Exactly. I've watched WAY too many "Instructors" try & teach students (and the masses) some trick that is really simple. Yet they make it like you're disarming some nuclear device.

I think the concept is to make a fat, flat tone without dampening.
It's valid.
Benny Greb mentioned in an interview he often tunes like that. Even Buddy said he didn't care if a lug was loose if the drum sounded good.
There are a lot of people who are hesitant to tune in any way that isn't as even tension on all lugs as possible. They think they'll ruin the rim or the head.
Sometimes ruining the head is a valid way to tune. It depends on what you want to get and how it sounds for the situation. we're lucky to be drummers who can do whatever we want to get a drum sound and not be constrained by rules of defined pitches.

As a (possibly) middle age person, I don't relate to the overly enthusiastic presentation, but I'm not put off. Young people use too many superlatives.

I don't relate to the overly enthusiastic presentation, but I'm not put off. Young people use too many superlatives.

What about Howard Cosell? he wasn't young.

The funniest thing in the video is the fellow has trouble counting to 4 a few times.

More like Udo Massive Con

I've seen this a few year back. This is snare drum tuning snake oil at its finest. Snare drums are so simple to tune it defies belief that people would need to buy his video, and there's plenty of free instruction on youtube.

Joe Crabtree is a very fine player with Wishbone Ash and a great teacher, but he either fell for this or is getting some commission from Udo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zj44KqfvwA

Watching this guy tune a drum is kinda like

pain-of-math-13o99vj.jpg

I think the concept is to make a fat, flat tone without dampening.
It's valid.
Benny Greb mentioned in an interview he often tunes like that. Even Buddy said he didn't care if a lug was loose if the drum sounded good.
There are a lot of people who are hesitant to tune in any way that isn't as even tension on all lugs as possible. They think they'll ruin the rim or the head.
Sometimes ruining the head is a valid way to tune. It depends on what you want to get and how it sounds for the situation. we're lucky to be drummers who can do whatever we want to get a drum sound and not be constrained by rules of defined pitches.

As a (possibly) middle age person, I don't relate to the overly enthusiastic presentation, but I'm not put off. Young people use too many superlatives.

I feel the same:
It is simple fix if you get in to a room and the snare naturally sounds a bit different so I just tighten or loosen a lug, maybe some moongel if it makes it sound good. Once you lock in to a song and the metter is there it is going to work.

Back