Berklee School of music

Selkies

hey /d/

So i have an audition at the Berklee school of music in boston on march 7th. Im fliying out there. Thatsa lot of pressure.

Im 17
been playiung for about 2 years

What do you more experienced jazz drummers think would be some cool standards to play for the audition?

Im nervous. ive never been this nervous
any advice at all would help.

Thanks fellow percussionists.

-Jake

GOOD luck Jake. I'll watch this thread to hear about your experience. You'll do fine...what's the worst that could happen? Would you have to quit playing and partaking in the joy of making music if you don't get in? Will they physically assault you if they don't like your playing? Nah.

Hi Selkies,

I have came back from an audition at berklee school of music. My audition was on valentines day (feb. 14). I was lucky enough to get to Boston a couple of days before my audition to tour the campus and get fimilar with the feel of the place.

They give you 15 minutes to warm up so make sure you ask for a room with a drumset otherwise you only got your drumpad.

For my audition piece I played a mozambique drum solo called Banco. Did some sightreading then jammed with the teachers.

-know your styles (samba, bossa, jazz, rock, etc)
-be proficient at sightreading
- take a deep breath and drink some water

I am also 17 years old... you will do fine.

hey /d/

So i have an audition at the Berklee school of music in boston on march 7th. Im fliying out there. Thatsa lot of pressure.

Im 17
been playiung for about 2 years

What do you more experienced jazz drummers think would be some cool standards to play for the audition?

Im nervous. ive never been this nervous
any advice at all would help.

Thanks fellow percussionists.

-Jake

First of all it is the Berklee COLLEGE of Music and has been of well over 20 years. I would be very careful in knowing the name of the school you are auditioning for just in case you slip in your interview. They may take it insultingly.

As far as any audition goes, relax, breath, be prepared and you will do fine. Autumn Leaves is a standard there for sure. Try not to play out of your range. Timing and musicality is more important than all the chops. They will show you all of those.

Good luck...

PS - I graduated there in 1994. It appears they make everyone audition now which is not what they always did. I had to audition but I believe that is because I didn't take any performances classes in high school or send a tape of my playing.

First of all it is the Berklee COLLEGE of Music and has been of well over 20 years. .

I guess me and everyone who has ever talked about it to me is wrong about the name to.

I guess so. All I have ever heard is Berklee School of Music.

I feel enlightened.

Yeah, they are pretty anal about the "college" part there. In the academic world, there is a difference between a school, college, and university. I don't know what those are (my aunt is the chancellor of Baltimore Area Community Colleges, and I heard her talking about this once, but zoned out), but it's like a college is "better" than a school, and a university is "better" than both.

Yeah, they are pretty anal about the "college" part there. In the academic world, there is a difference between a school, college, and university. I don't know what those are (my aunt is the chancellor of Baltimore Area Community Colleges, and I heard her talking about this once, but zoned out), but it's like a college is "better" than a school, and a university is "better" than both.

It's a College and not a School because it's accredited, which, yes, is a kind of a big deal... Admittedly, they probably should let it get to them so much when someone gets it wrong... It's been around since 1945. It was "School" until 1973, and College since then... Especially with things in New England, it's not unusual for old names to be hanging around.

School can be anything. (including collections of fish)
Colleges must be accredited.
Universities are generally used in the context of a collection of Colleges. (Colleges, in this context, focusing on a single type of study; eg: music).

I'm not as certain about the Universities vs Colleges thing... I think another difference is the focus on Post-Graduate work... Universities are more likely to offer post-graduate degrees than Colleges.

Of course, as near as I can tell, neither of those U vs C differences are 'always true', just sort 'hard and fast'.

First of all it is the Berklee COLLEGE of Music and has been of well over 20 years. I would be very careful in knowing the name of the school you are auditioning for just in case you slip in your interview. They may take it insultingly.

As far as any audition goes, relax, breath, be prepared and you will do fine. Autumn Leaves is a standard there for sure. Try not to play out of your range. Timing and musicality is more important than all the chops. They will show you all of those.

Good luck...

PS - I graduated there in 1994. It appears they make everyone audition now which is not what they always did. I had to audition but I believe that is because I didn't take any performances classes in high school or send a tape of my playing.

WHOOPS

I also have an audition/interview at the Cornish School of the Arts. I just got them mixed up. COLLEGE. I'll remember that haha, i could see how they might take it the wrong way.

Re: Berklee COLLEGE of Music

I also feel enlightened. Linguistics are always fun.

And thanks for the advice everyone!
No need to be a wise ass. If you truly don't feel it's a big deal then don't take my advice. I am only trying to help. In the interview process they may ask you as well where else have you applied. Be sure if it is not a music college and they ask you what type it is, you use the term academic college and not real college. ;)

College, University, Academy, Dojo....they are all schools.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    31.6 KB · Views: 541
Re: Berklee COLLEGE of Music

No need to be a wise ass. If you truly don't feel it's a big deal then don't take my advice. I am only trying to help. In the interview process they may ask you as well where else have you applied. Be sure if it is not a music college and they ask you what type it is, you use the term academic college and not real college. ;)

Yeah it's hard to tell over text, I wasn't being sarcastic. I actually really enjoy linguistics

JEEZ!

Can't a guy be a nerd around here?

College, University, Academy, Dojo....they are all schools.

School vs College is the difference between Professor and Doctor (and some Professors are very insistent that you call them Doctor...). That difference is: one is what you do (School, Professor), one is what you've earned (College, Doctor). Not all schools are colleges, not all professors are doctors, which is why the ones who are each like to be referred to by what they've earned.

Back