Keep stock Tom reso's, or upgrade?

Terrence R

Silver Member
I currently have EC2's on my toms and they sound great and also tune great. I still have the stock pearl reso's on. I did notice some overtones and some slight ringing. However, I did stop the ringing by put 4-5 cotton balls in each shell. I'm satisfied with the results, but I can't help to wonder that I may be happier with upgraded reso's instead of having the cotton balls in the shells. What do u guys think of the stock pearl reso's? Do u think I would be happier with G1 reso's or even something a little thicker? Or should I just stick with my current setup? I understand that everyone has different taste, but some experienced inspiration would be greatly appreciated. Thanx.

First of all, ringing / overtones are what make your drums cut thriugh in the mix whenplaying unmiced with a band.

I try to change my reso heads about other or third head change.

But that is just me

First of all, ringing / overtones are what make your drums cut thriugh in the mix whenplaying unmiced with a band.

I try to change my reso heads about other or third head change.

But that is just me

I mic my drums during live gigs, but play unmicced during rehearsal.

It really depends on what reso heads you are asking about. Some Pearl drums come with pro quality reso heads while others do not. The reso heads make almost as much difference in the sound as the batter heads. At the church I play at, the drums are miced, and the toms are not muffled at all. They sound great. I am a big fan of the Evans EC Resonant heads. Peace and goodwill.

Last edited:
Cotton balls popping about. Can you serve them with butter and salt.?

You will be happier with new reso's because stock Pearl heads suck!!

LOL They're on a 1999/2000 Pearl export kit. I'm happy with the results I have now, but I just wanted to make sure that I won't be wasting money by buying all new reso's. I'll probably give the G1's a try. I just hope I'm not going to be disappointed. Although, half the battle of getting drums to sound how u want us through experimenting.

I threw away the stock resos on my Gretsch kit a couple of days ago and replaced them with real heads. It made such a big difference in sound I almost choked on my tongue. I think most stock heads are just quasi heads not really meant for playing, but for demonstrating what the drum kit should look like with real heads on it.... I know mine were.

Yea, it sounds as if the resonant heads should have been changed a dozen years ago.

Use emergency tactics only in emergencies.

Dennis

Ok. Thanx for the inspiration guys. Pocket-full- of-gold really closed the deal for me in his discription. Sounds like its definitely worth the purchase. Now I just gatta decide which ones to get. I'll certainly be sticking with Evans though. The tuning range seems to be much smoother and easier with Evans, well, compared to my Remo experiences. Thanx again guys.

I picked up the new reso's. I went with the EC reso's. They seem to fit the sound I was after. Though, I still had to put some cotton balls in each shell to being them to my likings. Not as many tho. One thing i did notice is that the toms dont resonate as bad when I'm kicking my bass drum.

I have coated EC2 batters right now that are getting pretty banged up. I'll replace them next with either clear EC2's, G2's, or Aquarian Super 2's, or Performance 2's.

Too many choices....... a little help?

Last edited:
The kit I play at church (Mapex Saturn) has Evans G Plus heads on top and EC Resonants on the bottom. My Gretsch Catalina toms have G1 clear heads on top and EC Resonants on the bottom. I really like how all those toms sound, but I like them to ring/sustain as long as possible because that is what gives the drums tone out is front of the set. Peace and goodwill.

Back