Scam?

Stoney

Hi all

I got an email from a guy claiming to be called Nathan last May saying he wanted to use me for some studio session as he's part of a production company. He got my details from some online site apparently. Anyway we chatted on the phone and he sent me some ideas he had through.... sounded pretty rough and rubbish but I thought if he's willing to pay me why not...

Anyway didn't hear from him again and forgot all about it....until recently when he text me again asking if I'm free on so and so dates, asked what my fee was, etc. He also now say's he's booked a studio and will email me all the info.... although still waiting for this.

Seems pretty straightforward until he text me this..."Hi I've booked the studio for the 28th you need to be there at 10am. I will forward the details to you. If you can let me know your details etc I will get the paperwork deposit etc all sorted out if you can send me your email (which he already had) I will send you a brief on what we're working on. Regards Nathan"

Am I being overly cautious on this? Is this a scam or is the guy just incredibly unprofessional. Either that or he's incredibly busy and doesn't have the time to Email or speak to me. Does he just want my bank info? One of them I'll give you a larger deposit if you could transfer me the difference to my mate in Africa jobs?

Anyone have any clarification on these sort of scams? Or maybe I'm just being paranoid. I guess what I find strange about it is I don't know the guy and only spoke to him once back in May when I called. He keeps saying he'll call me but ends up texting. It's some hunch I have...

I guess one thing I can do is when/if he sends me the studio info is to call the studio up and check he's booked in.

Anyway sorry for babbling on... :)

That sounds pretty sketchy- like you should probably just walk away now. I suspect you can find out pretty quickly what his game is if you insist on being paid up front in cash. And ask a lot of questions- if you are persistent in seeking information and he is persistently cagey, he's a crook. Definitely make your own contact with the studio, and verify that it's a real, reputable place.

But you know, you should just walk. The "paperwork deposit etc" thing is a tip that he's going to come at you with some kind of unusual arrangement for paying you, which is going to end with you getting ripped off. Pass.

But you know, you should just walk. The "paperwork deposit etc" thing is a tip that he's going to come at you with some kind of unusual arrangement for paying you, which is going to end with you getting ripped off. Pass.

Yes, that's what I'm thinking. It all feels a bit iffy to me. I'll see what he comes up with next if he does and take it from there.... as it stands at the moment though I'm thinking Scam!

I had offers like that when I tried to sell a used dough-boy pool. It was weird. I told him to drop the money off in a brief case at a certain aisle in my local Home Depot, and then I'll dump the pool off on a street corner the next day ;)

If he hasn't asked for banking info, or offered to send you a check and refund him the difference, it' not technically a scam yet.

But I would say you are right to be cautious.

Even if he's not a scam-er, it sounds like a high unprofessional situation that would lead to an afternoon wasted.

Just did a google search on his mobile number and a fairly recent advert in gumtree came up.
The last bit is interesting.... seems like this guy is willing to give anything a try!

Rhodesian Ridgeback Pup
£400 London

1 Boy And 2 Girls
Rhodesian Ridgeback Puppies Born 02/06/11 To Scarlet Sweetheart And Kong Of Kings.
Raised In The Family Home With Other Pets
£100 Deposits Taken And Mother Can Be Seen.

Hi all

I got an email from a guy claiming to be called Nathan last May saying he wanted to use me for some studio session as he's part of a production company. He got my details from some online site apparently. Anyway we chatted on the phone and he sent me some ideas he had through.... sounded pretty rough and rubbish but I thought if he's willing to pay me why not...

Anyway didn't hear from him again and forgot all about it....until recently when he text me again asking if I'm free on so and so dates, asked what my fee was, etc. He also now say's he's booked a studio and will email me all the info.... although still waiting for this.

Seems pretty straightforward until he text me this..."Hi I've booked the studio for the 28th you need to be there at 10am. I will forward the details to you. If you can let me know your details etc I will get the paperwork deposit etc all sorted out if you can send me your email (which he already had) I will send you a brief on what we're working on. Regards Nathan"

Am I being overly cautious on this? Is this a scam or is the guy just incredibly unprofessional. Either that or he's incredibly busy and doesn't have the time to Email or speak to me. Does he just want my bank info? One of them I'll give you a larger deposit if you could transfer me the difference to my mate in Africa jobs?

Anyone have any clarification on these sort of scams? Or maybe I'm just being paranoid. I guess what I find strange about it is I don't know the guy and only spoke to him once back in May when I called. He keeps saying he'll call me but ends up texting. It's some hunch I have...

I guess one thing I can do is when/if he sends me the studio info is to call the studio up and check he's booked in.

Anyway sorry for babbling on... :)

Never trust someone from texts and emails alone. If he refuses to talk over the phone periodically, then have nothing to do with him.

Over-reliance on texting is for scammers and dullards - both good people to avoid.

I suspect you can find out pretty quickly what his game is if you insist on being paid up front in cash.

That may or may not be a good test, but it's definitely not a good policy to ask for pay up front. The only person who gets away with that is Chuck Berry who gets paid immediately before he plays. The difference is, he's right there, ready to play, and everyone knows that's his deal. Anyone else who pulls that is setting themselves up for their phone to stop ringing. If anyone ever said they wanted their money up front, I'd hang up and never call them again.

Bermuda

Why not just be honest and contact the person and tell him that you are just being careful and you want some form of verification.
If he is legit he will keep talking to you.
If he is a scammer he will disappear like a fart in a high wind.

Why not just be honest and contact the person and tell him that you are just being careful and you want some form of verification.
If he is legit he will keep talking to you.
If he is a scammer he will disappear like a fart in a high wind.

To be honest I can't even be bothered to deal with him after his texts. If he is legit he'll send me all the info I need together with some confirmation. Until he does that I can't really take the guy seriously.
If he is a scammer I'm not going to give him the satisfaction of thinking he duped me that's for sure!

Sure. I suggested it as a possible strategy for smoking out a scammer, not as a normal business policy.

Right, I just didn't want anyone to think that's a clever tactic for a musician.

For anyone interested....

Had the session today. Called the guy up a few days ago and told him my concerns. He stepped it up a gear... even asking for my food and drink requirements.. :)

All went well and got paid. Wasn't a scam after all...

Back