Good In-Ear Earphones/Monitors for drumming?

Which model, please?

it says Tour on the box
they are the flat Monster cable collaboration

here is a pic
beatsa.jpg

Klipsch S-4. Excellent sounding especially the bass and the isolation is off the charts. (Make sure they go in your ear right. They go in a bit far. If you don't get excellent bass they aren't in right)

before you shell out big money, try out the skull candy ink'd earbuds, for £10 theres literally nothing better

ive used lots of different headphones up to £200 and the ink'd earbuds always come out on top

even if they break they are so cheap it doesnt matter

My Etymotic Research HF-5's just shorted out on the left side. This is the second time it's happened, and this is actually a replacement pair they sent me about a year ago. The warranty technically expired last week (bad luck!), so I'm hoping they send me another pair. If not, I'll likely go for the Beats.

Love the sound of the HF-5's, but I can't have them breaking every year. Too expensive.

-sheldon

My Etymotic Research HF-5's just shorted out on the left side. This is the second time it's happened, and this is actually a replacement pair they sent me about a year ago. The warranty technically expired last week (bad luck!), so I'm hoping they send me another pair. If not, I'll likely go for the Beats.

Love the sound of the HF-5's, but I can't have them breaking every year. Too expensive.

-sheldon

Hey..iv been a drummer since i was 6 and iv tryd so many inears and headfones while drumming at my church..im 17 now and from all my experience the best headfones ive ever used are the WESTONE UM3X they r amazin..you can go to www.westone.com and find them.they're abit priceybut they are worth it..my father has them and thet come with a 2 yr warranty and they have lasted 3 yrs so far..i plan on getting the ES5 by westone..i highly recomend the.UM2 and the UM3X..HOPE THIS HELPS!..:)

Not to hijack... I've been toying with the in-ears idea. I've been stuffing in foam ear plugs and blasting cans over the top of them. Wouldn't piping that much sound (from in-ears) directly into your ear canal do quick damage to your hearing? I'm ignorant on this so enlighten me please.

There are two reasons why I would strongly recommend molded IEMs like Sensaphonics. And this is one of them. You want some 20dB+ of isolation to which you can add low levels of monitor mix so that the overall level at your ears isn't excessive.

I think you can get the single driver version for about the same as sleeves and Shure buds.

The other thing is that having used both consumer buds and molded IEMs, it is a real pain when the bud starts slipping out. You loose bass response and start getting more stage noise. Molded earpieces go in, stay in, and if they're well made and soft like the Sensaphonics, are much more comfortable to have stuck in your ears for 3 hours a night.

As Aeolian said;
+1 on the Sensaphonics - The ambient external noise cut is 37db. I've used Vic Firth earphones for quite some time, and the cut on ambient external noise is 28db tops. Another thing to consider is whether or not you sing back up and whether or not you play and are very animated facially. Singing and the like move your jaw, which results in minute changes in your ear canal structure. This is the primary reason why I decided to go with Silicone IEM's. Also, if you get IEMs, make sure you get a pair with Field Replaceable Wires.

Below is a rundown on the process to get fitted and have them built.

After quite a bit of research I decided to go with Silicone rather than the Acrylic. I chose to go with the folks from Sensaphonics rather than ACS for this first pair.

Went to an audiologist from Sensaphonics Certified Audiology Network and was really pleased to meet and work with him. After he completed my ear molds, we spoke for a few moments and I decided that I would come back in an hour when he had a free appt, and have my hearing checked. I wanted to get a baseline for where my hearing was prior to getting into the IEMs. I should note that I have made a commitment to my hearing and have protected it where possible. That said, when I was in the Mil in the early 80s, we did not use hearing protection on the range or any other time. I've also been to concerts sitting in the 8th row, and had ringing in my ears for 2 days after that. I communicated all this to the audiologist after the test. When I came out he said that I should be a spy, as my hearing is outstanding. I shared the ear damaging stories with him and he indicated that those events must not have crossed my permanent damage threshold. I was surprised.

Sent in the molds on Mon 9/16 and received my 2X-S IEMs 9-27. They built them in under a week. The organization provided outstanding comms and was quick to return my call & email. Upon receipt and checking them out, I am thrilled as they cut ambient external sound by far more than 28db (like my Vic Firth isolation headphones). Indications are that the ambient external noise cut is in the 37db range; Holy Cow!! When you wear them you can understand why some musician's don't like them as they make even normal speaking difficult unless you read lips. I can understand how in a performing environment with the crowd noise, would make speaking with people (with these IEMs in), next to impossible. I'm OK with the trade off. My hearing is worth it. Prior to these IEMs I performed with ear plugs in my ears and a JBL wedge to my left over my shoulder. I still use the wedge, but just for the bass 'feel' it gives me.

Attachments

• KT0Q8170 (Copy).JPG
    KT0Q8170 (Copy).JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 27,218
  • KT0Q8168 (Copy).JPG
    KT0Q8168 (Copy).JPG
    113 KB · Views: 26,845
Last edited:
Back