Looking for Drum Lessons

Ex Nihilo

I am looking for drum lessons in my area. I can't seem to find many options that are within 20-30 Miles. Any suggestions where to look for some?

I live in Winchester KY. I will travel to close by places, (Richmond, Lexington, etc.)

Or should I just go up on Online Lessons?

Can you download the videos? Or re-watch them? (For the subscription)
(I bet someone has post his videos for free somewhere lol)

Edit: I want the Drum sheet music as well. Improve my reading skills.

No, you cannot download the live subscription videos. However, they are in the archive section for 3 weeks so you can go back and review, etc. Furthermore, there are PDF (the lesson notation) and MP3 of every lesson that you can download so you can practice and re-visit anytime. Also, the lessons are 3 days per week (beginner, intermediate and advanced) and you can watch all. In addition, he has a chat screener (his wife) who will monitor the chat and there is a completely live question and answer session at the end of each lesson.

There are no contracts, etc so you can try it for a month and quit if you find it doesn't work for you. But I would be VERY surprised if you don't love the lessons and its worth so much more than $20/month.

To recap:

- World class teacher
- 3 lessons per week (beginner, intermediate and advanced)
- PDF (sheet music) and MP3's of each lesson
- Live question and answer session after each lesson
- Private youtube channel to upload your videos to share with the lesson community
- Video critique by the teacher
- Archived lessons (3 weeks old)
- Wide range of topics

Its a no brainer if you ask me.

No, you cannot download the live subscription videos. However, they are in the archive section for 3 weeks so you can go back and review, etc. Furthermore, there are PDF (the lesson notation) and MP3 of every lesson that you can download so you can practice and re-visit anytime. Also, the lessons are 3 days per week (beginner, intermediate and advanced) and you can watch all. In addition, he has a chat screener (his wife) who will monitor the chat and there is a completely live question and answer session at the end of each lesson.

There are no contracts, etc so you can try it for a month and quit if you find it doesn't work for you. But I would be VERY surprised if you don't love the lessons and its worth so much more than $20/month.

To recap:

- World class teacher
- 3 lessons per week (beginner, intermediate and advanced)
- PDF (sheet music) and MP3's of each lesson
- Live question and answer session after each lesson
- Private youtube channel to upload your videos to share with the lesson community
- Video critique by the teacher
- Archived lessons (3 weeks old)
- Wide range of topics

Its a no brainer if you ask me.

I've been thinking of Mike's Lessons for quite awhile now? I've been self-teaching for 14mos now and live out in Podunk Montana in the sticks with no teachers in the area. Problem I have is that when I view "most" vids on Youtube,etc. or anywhere on the net I get those interupted videos? They play for 5 seconds....then load for another 5 seconds...then play for 5 seconds, etc. I have DSL. I know it's only $20 to "find out" but I'm leery on spending any dough if I can't use the videos....

I went to Mikes site awhile back and it didn't give much for examples or answer many of my questions if I remember right.....

Anybody ever have trouble with the videos or the streaming....?????

Thanks........

I want the Drum sheet music as well. Improve my reading skills.

If reading music from step one is a priority, I'm not sure that you will learn to read music from Mike's Lessons. First of all, let me say that Mike is a great player. I really like what he has to offer - as supplemental material. From what I've seen, it will in not take the place of a private lesson. You most likely want someone who can evaluate your technique. You need someone who will actually hear you play and give feedback - someone who will correct you if you are not reading something correctly. Also Mike's lessons (based on the youtube teasers) seem to be mainly in one style. Although I was corrected by Sopranos, who let me know that the online lessons cover many various styles.

And of course an online video service is not going to take you page by page through classic books such as Stick Control and make sure you are playing everything correctly.

So I would start with private lessons and add Mike's online lessons to that as a supplement. That way, you would get the best of both worlds - the personal attention of a local teacher and the extra material from Mike's Lessons. Here is a list of teachers in KY. The contact info is not on the list due to spam, so you will have to google some of the names.

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/edteam_roster.php?state=KY

Jeff

Last edited:
Mike Johnston is my current tutor.

You have to upload videos in order for Mike to see them and critique your playing.

He does do that but I agree that I would start with one to one for a beginner. This way you can learn to read music and get technique tuition as well. After 5 years playing and 4 years of one to one tuition, Mikeslessons was perfect for me.

Cheers
Davo

Also Mike's lessons seem to be mainly in one style.

Can I ask you what gives you that idea (are you a member of the lessons)? I have seen so many styles so far from Mikes Lessons.... brazilian, african, rock, funk, jazz, latin... and so many variations... New Orleans, etc. So I am just curious if you have actually tried the lessons and for how long?

One Guy - I think you would find a lot of value in Mikes Lessons. He is a pretty cool cat so I am confident that you can try the live streaming for a month and if you find that your internet is not working for you then I'm pretty sure he will refund your money. He is not the type that is just trying to stick you with something that does not work for you. You can contact him (contact tab on his website) and tell him your situation... I know he will find a way for you to make sure it works before paying.

Again, its a no brainer for the price whether you use it as a supplement or your only tutor once you have your basics down.

Can I ask you what gives you that idea (that it's mainly one style)...

I guess I formed that idea based on the youtube clips that are supplied by Mike - which are pretty much rock/funk. And , yes - they are the teaser clips which promote the lessons, so I guess it makes sense that most of the youtube clips are in a more contemporary style. I did edit my post to show that (based on your experience) they offer all styles. Again, I am not putting his thing down in any way shape or form. If he does do jazz, latin, etc., that is great - Based on his youtube videos, he probably sounds great in te other styles too. My point is that I would first recommend a teacher in a one on one situation. That way, if the student needs to work on a certain style, he/she can ask the teacher and instantly get the attention needed instead of waiting for the week that that style is taught online. There are plenty of great books and DVDs that I recommend (in fact I have a book coming out myself). But I always recommend a private teacher first - then the DVD or book (even if it's my book).

Again, I really like Mike's stuff. He seems to be a great drummer and communicator. I look forward to meeting and talking with him one day - maybe at PAS or the Modern Drummer Festival if he attends either one. I am not recommending that the original poster not join Mike's Lessons. I am recommending that he do that as a supplement to private lessons. If any of my students told me that they were signing up for Mike's Lessons along with our regular lessons, I would definitely have no problem at all. I think Mike's Lessons along with private lessons is a great combination - and for $20 it is a great value too.

Jeff

Last edited:
I guess I formed that idea based on the youtube clips that are supplied by Mike - which are pretty much rock/funk. And , yes - they are the teaser clips which promote the lessons, so I guess it makes sense that most of the youtube clips are in a more contemporary style. I did edit my post to show that (based on your experience) they offer all styles. Again, I am not putting his thing down in any way shape or form. If he does do jazz, latin, etc., that is great - Based on his youtube videos, he probably sounds great in te other styles too. My point is that I would first recommend a teacher in a one on one situation. That way, if the student needs to work on a certain style, he/she can ask the teacher and instantly get the attention needed instead of waiting for the week that that style is taught online. There are plenty of great books and DVDs that I recommend (in fact I have a book coming out myself). But I always recommend a private teacher first - then the DVD or book (even if it's my book).

Again, I really like Mike's stuff. He seems to be a great drummer and communicator. I look forward to meeting and talking with him one day - maybe at PAS or the Modern Drummer Festival if he attends either one. I am not recommending that the original poster not join Mike's Lessons. I am recommending that he do that as a supplement to private lessons. If any of my students told me that they were signing up for Mike's Lessons along with our regular lessons, I would definitely have no problem at all. I think Mike's Lessons along with private lessons is a great combination - and for $20 it is a great value too.

Jeff

Oh yeah, no worries... I know you weren't trying to put him down or undermine his platform or skill level. I just thought I would share my experience with his lessons and clarify for those who haven't had the chance to see his live lessons (so much more and different than just what is posted on youtube).

No doubt it best serves as a supplement to one on one lessons in a regular setting. I just figured if that was not an option or private lessons was not within budget than mikeslessons would still be of value and definitely better than nothing.

We are all in this together ;) I'm just sharing any good finds with the community and this was definitely a good find IMO.

OneGuy - Yeah, honestly, I think you have nothing to lose. I am so certain that he will refund your money if you find that your internet doesn't keep up within the first few days or week. So really its only $20 if you find that it works for you.

I found my drum teacher by asking the guys at Guitar Center. He used to teach for Sam Ash until their store closed down and he went out on his own but he kept in touch with a lot of the GC guys he knew from before. You don't have to take lessons from one of the store guys but they can be a great resource.

Also, most GC's have a bulletin board where such things as teachers and bands looking for new members and such post listings. You might want to check there.

P.S. I live in Cincinnati but work in Kentucky. Spent some time in Winchester couple a years back for work. I'm sure you should be able something in Lexington!

Hope you're able to find a good teacher!

Where can I look for lessons? Is it better to get lessons from a individual or someone whom is in a drum store. I tried looking on craigslist and such, but can't find any.

I found this, http://www.drumcenteroflexington.com/lessons.html
30miles away, is it worth the drive?

I wished I only had 30 miles to drive to get lessons....closest bigger town to me is 110mi one-way....lol

Don't give up on Craigslist....I ran an ad stating that I was looking for a teacher in my area and actually got a few offers,etc.....BUT, once again, they were from town and 110miles away.

If you do find a teacher I'd surely take the time to ask for references and follow up on those references to see if the teacher might be right for you and what you seek.....jmo

Good luck........

(think I'll give Mike's a shot....)

Have you contacted the teachers from the Vic Firth list that I posted above? Have you checked out the drummers at the drum shop you mentioned? It seems like there are some good options in your area.

If you have exhausted all of those options, try contacting your local college or university. Many college teachers will teach privately as well - or be able to recommend someone.

Jeff

Somehow I find it hard to believe that there aren't any drum teachers in your area. Go to your local music stores, most offer lessons, and even if they don't I'm sure they might know some people who do offer lessons. Search on craigslist, there are a ton posted in my city, or if you can't find any on there make your own post saying you are looking for a teacher. Personally I think it is much more beneficial to get lessons from a real person rather than a book or video, especially if you are just starting.

Mikes lessons aren't as bad as people make it out to be, apparently there's a "senior member" here that doesn't like him for some reason

Like the other guy said, for 20 dollars, you get at the very least material to practice, and the only way to get good is practice forever

Mikes lessons aren't as bad as people make it out to be, apparently there's a "senior member" here that doesn't like him for some reason

That's weird - I didn't get that impression. I think people here, including myself, have much respect for Mike. His articles in Modern Drummer are a good resource too - great supplement to regular private lessons. But we're getting away from the original question.

I think the original poster may not know what to look for in a private instructor. I would suggest finding someone who will help with reading, technique, coordination, knowledge of styles and musicality. The OP may want to email a few teachers and find out their teaching philosophy - then take a trial lesson off to narrow it down further.

Jeff

Ask at local music stores and local schools. The school music director will probably know a slew of local players. Even specialty stores for different instruments like violins or horns will have all kinds of contacts in the local music scene. You can also post in the musicians section of craigslist.

G/L!

Back