Joey Jordison's iowa gear?

At the time Joey was playing OCDP drums. It could be a kit from them, but in the studio it's hard to tell. So many people use so many different things. I've done plenty of sessions with Frankenstein kits just because the producer liked the toms from kit "A" and the kick from kit "B" and a different snare on every song.

Also remember that studio drum sounds don't always resemble what a drum sounds like in person. And that album was recorded during the digital era when sound replacement (samples used to replace existing sounds) is common, so the sounds may not have even originated from Joey's drums.

Bermuda

Also remember that studio drum sounds don't always resemble what a drum sounds like in person. And that album was recorded during the digital era when sound replacement (samples used to replace existing sounds) is common, so the sounds may not have even originated from Joey's drums.

Bermuda

Beat me to it. Bermuda hit the nail on the head with that, anymore with all the sound replacement there's no way to know. Most recorded drums like Living Dead Drummer said are chosen by the studio and what they know works best in their studios, not usually the artists kit.(with some exceptions there)

I know im posting on old thread but anyway.
I remember that i read somewhere that they used old gretsch(? Etc) kick drum on that record.
I was also working on provinssi rock (i do sound engineering) and had chance to chat with slipknots FOH engineer (RIP Big shirt) there. I asked about triggers and he said that they only use them for monitoring. I i remember correctly they had like 50-60 channels on use ?

I dont use triggers when i record bands. I usually start with drummer and we tune and tune and tune his/her kit so long that we both are happy with the sound. Then just mic it up. If it takes one day, then it takes. Its still worth it since you dont have to do so much for the sound when its recorded with perfect sound. Also placing mics is an art. I have seen on some metal bands on studio and that they have even close mic’ed batter head of the kick to get that ”click” sound. Then condenser and dynamic on reso side. Then just mix those together and you will have very ”triggered” style sound without triggers.
My point in this is, that its not 100% sure that its triggered even if it sounds like that. I havent listened iowa album for a longtime but just listened vol.3 and im quite sure that its not triggered kick sound. You can hear that on kick and to my ears it sounds like wooden or plastic beater ”slapping” on batter head very close mic’ed. Then just use eq and heavy compression.

From Modern Drummer Jan 2002:
"I used a Gretsch maple kick drum, and it had a great sound. But it was hard to get bounce-back from the head. I almost felt like I was kickin' mud."

He probably used a single kick with double pedal.

His OCDP drums (live) included a 12x7 30-ply vented shell snare, double 22x20 kicks and 8,10,12,14,16,18 toms. Paiste RUDE cymbals. Tama Iron Cobra pedals "tensioned very tight."

Back