Yamaha Japanese made drums

RickP

Gold Member
It is a poorly kept industry secret that Sakae Musical instruments manufacturers Yamaha's high end drum lines. They have been making drums for Yamaha for over 40 years. My local shop sent me an email the other day to inform me, that if I want any more Sakae music manufactured Yamaha drums I need to have my order placed by June 28th. After this date you can no longer get Yamaha drums that are produced by Sakae.

If you go to Sakae's website they confirm that they will be going out on their own as well.
Sakae has been displaying drums under their own name at NAMM the last couple years.

I for one am happy I bought my Club Custom kit when I did. Knowing Yamaha the attention to detail will not fluctuate,but it just seems like the end of an era.

It is a poorly kept industry secret that Sakae Musical instruments manufacturers Yamaha's high end drum lines. They have been making drums for Yamaha for over 40 years. My local shop sent me an email the other day to inform me, that if I want any more Sakae music manufactured Yamaha drums I need to have my order placed by June 28th. After this date you can no longer get Yamaha drums that are produced by Sakae.

If you go to Sakae's website they confirm that they will be going out on their own as well.
Sakae has been displaying drums under their own name at NAMM the last couple years.

I for one am happy I bought my Club Custom kit when I did. Knowing Yamaha the attention to detail will not fluctuate,but it just seems like the end of an era.

I have heard about this as well, I immediately thought early April Fools joke...but it was a week ago I heard this. And I even heard about the possibility of a North American factory to replace Sakae. I am happy that I own a few high end Yamaha kits at the moment.

Yamaha are meticulous in their control of manufacture. Their principals apply across a vast range of products, so I think you can expect continuity. They're not what I'd regard as an adventurous company, but they are well considered in their choices. This sometimes means that their instruments lack a bit of character, but they're always fit for purpose, & dependable in their execution.

I remember M. D. did an "Inside Yamaha" article several yr.ago. The reporter said when they got to the building, the sign didn't even say Yamaha. I can't remember what it said. but I bet it was Sakae. It seems like he implied that Yamaha never changed the name, after they took over the Co. Maybe Yamaha was their main customer, and it just seemed like they owned the Co. I wonder what will happen with their quality, if they change vendors? I've got 2 kits from Japan. 88 mod. Power Tour Customs and 09 Birch Custom Absolutes. Love them both.

http://www.sakaedrums.com/en/index.php

Sakae website above. Interesting thing about the new Sakae offerings is the ply layups of their various series. The finishes also look a bit more "adventurous" than Yamaha drums.

The three ply maple/poplar/maple series with the maple reinforcing rings looks interesting.

http://www.sakaedrums.com/en/index.php

Sakae website above. Interesting thing about the new Sakae offerings is the ply layups of their various series. The finishes also look a bit more "adventurous" than Yamaha drums.

The three ply maple/poplar/maple series with the maple reinforcing rings looks interesting.

Agreed it's interesting, but I don't see anything that screams "this is the Yamaha equivalent."

Although the Road Anew line seems similar-ish to the Ludwig element SE line....

My first kit was a white marine pearl wrap Sakae 5 pce, 12x8, 13x9, 16x16 and 22x14 with a 14x5 snare. It was a budget kit but not rock bottom, cost £120 new in 1975. I think it is Phillipine mahogany ply, quite thin shells with re-rings.

I gigged it for 4 years doing variety show tours in theatres. The snare was soon binned - went out of round but I've still got the rest of it.

I don't use it often (not my main kit) but I'm quite fond of it, will always keep it. With coated Ambassadors it sounds fine and is very resonant. I've since added a conversion kit so I can use the FT as a small bass.

Richard

Further to my last post, found a pic of the Sakae as a 4 pce. Taken not too long ago, late 2011. Me and a few guys put together a surf band for a one-off show (Christmas party for a big London publishing firm). Finally had to learn Wipeout!

Attachments

• 10-1F259180-77794-800.jpg
    10-1F259180-77794-800.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 12,487
It's official. Sakae are no longer going to be making the high end stuff.
This from a drum shop I frequent:
*********************************************************************************
Yamaha Discontinue long running Drum lines.

The FINAL date for ordering these drums is June 28th, 2013.
There will be no exceptions after that.

To be discontinued:

Maple Custom Absolute
Birch Custom Absolute
Club Custom
Oak Custom
Recording Custom
Sub-kick
All Concept Series Snare Drums
All Wedges
All Snare Wires

*********************************************************************************
No doubt they will soon announce all the new stuff, but damn. This kinda makes me sad.

And there goes my patronage of Yamaha.

Sigh.

As soon as anyone figures out what happened, give a shout...?

I caught word that they were going to discontinue the Oak Customs so I ordered and 8in add on for my kit a few months ago. I doubt I will be buying any other "new" kits from Yamaha.

To be discontinued:

Maple Custom Absolute
Birch Custom Absolute
Club Custom
Oak Custom
Recording Custom
Sub-kick
All Wedges
All Snare Wires

No doubt they will soon announce all the new stuff, but damn. This kinda makes me sad.

I actually just came from Dave's Drum Shop not 5 minutes ago :)

Hopefully at 59 I will not be purchasing more drum kits, of course I said that at 54 and bought three since (sickness I guess lol) Not sure what to make of that, I think Yamaha makes great drums and hardware. We will see!

Maybe time to look at American made drums?

The new Live Custom line has replaced their Oak Custom line and is now being manufactured in Yamaha's new 'sate of the art' facility in China.

If this is the sign of things to come from one of the finest Japanese drum manufacturers around, then I wish them a quick and painless death.

The last thing this industry needs is another Chinese drum company. They can boast that the factories will be run by Japanese craftsmen all they want but does anybody really trust what comes out of China? I don't..

I recall in the 1970's, common thought was "don't trust anything coming out of Japan".

I wonder where all of Yamahas top endorcers will go?Surely these players won't be playing second or third line drums .What of Steve Gadd,Dave Weckl and the many other top players who play Yamaha.

Gadd used to play Ludwig and I'm sure they would welcome him with open arms.What a turn of events that would make...Steve AND Vinny ...Ludwig players.

The only other contenders might be Gretsch,Tama,DW or maybe Pearl.Let the hating begin.

This would actually be a wonderful time to resurect Slingerland or even.....Rogers.I can see Gadd behind a Slingerland USA made kit.Maybe Weckl behind a Rogers USA made kit.THAT would be a great way to kick off re-branding of a legendary name.

Lots of younger player saying....Slingerland?Are they made in Germany?

The best part is wondering what the artist relations departments are doing at the larger drum companys.Lets see who lands the BIG ones.

Lastly...what of Yamaha?Will they retool for the US,Canada or Japan maybe...or considering their considerable manufacturing foot print,just let it go?

Tune in tomorrow boys and girls,same bat time,same bat channel for the answer to this and many other questions.:)

Steve B

Last edited:
I’ll step in here and enter the discussion.

We are at the beginning of an exciting time at Yamaha Drums, and there are a lot of fantastic things coming. Many of you have seen our Live Custom Series, which was launched at Winter NAMM and received rave reviews by dealers, artists, and press. It is the first drumset out of our Yamaha-owned factory in Xiaoshan, China. And this is just the start.

It’s important to remember that all of the techniques and processes that have made Yamaha one of the most respected names in drums were, in fact, created by Yamaha. The transition to our new state-of-the-art factory has allowed us to update and improve these processes and tools utilized by the craftsmen to build our drums. Also important to note is that the Xiaoshan factory was built from the ground up as a Yamaha factory and is ISO 14001 certified. Yamaha has been building pianos and wind/brass instruments in that facility for years; as a result, each craftsman is very familiar with our high standards and expectations, being trained not only in how but why we do things the way we do.

Ultimately, Yamaha drums will be better, while becoming more affordable: not by downgrading the quality of the materials, but by making the processes more efficient and still crafting some of the world’s best-sounding drums.

To be discontinued:

Maple Custom Absolute
Birch Custom Absolute
Club Custom
Oak Custom
Recording Custom
Sub-kick
All Wedges
All Snare Wires

No mention of PHX (Phoenix)?

What's going to happen when the USA and Japan run out of cheap labor? LOL

If this is the sign of things to come from one of the finest Japanese drum manufacturers around, then I wish them a quick and painless death.
Not too quick; not before I buy that first replacement part for the price of a snare drum.

I’ll step in here and enter the discussion.

We are at the beginning of an exciting time at Yamaha Drums, and there are a lot of fantastic things coming. Many of you have seen our Live Custom Series, which was launched at Winter NAMM and received rave reviews by dealers, artists, and press. It is the first drumset out of our Yamaha-owned factory in Xiaoshan, China. And this is just the start.

It’s important to remember that all of the techniques and processes that have made Yamaha one of the most respected names in drums were, in fact, created by Yamaha. The transition to our new state-of-the-art factory has allowed us to update and improve these processes and tools utilized by the craftsmen to build our drums. Also important to note is that the Xiaoshan factory was built from the ground up as a Yamaha factory and is ISO 14001 certified. Yamaha has been building pianos and wind/brass instruments in that facility for years; as a result, each craftsman is very familiar with our high standards and expectations, being trained not only in how but why we do things the way we do.

Ultimately, Yamaha drums will be better, while becoming more affordable: not by downgrading the quality of the materials, but by making the processes more efficient and still crafting some of the world’s best-sounding drums.

Hi, drumnhands; I take it from your tone that you are in some way connected with Yamaha? I'll direct these questions at you then: Will the drum lines listed in the previous poster's email ever be offered again -- I'm thinking specifically the Recording Customs? Was there a specific impetus behind shifting all production to China? And it seems odd that there's not word one about this on the Yamaha Drums website.

Back