Introducing someone to the drums - tips

Ady

Hi,
Just a little bit of background. I'm a self taught drummer of 20+ years, aside from a few very basic lessons early on, shown a few pardiddle practices etc I've never had any proper training, something I occasionally regret to be honest, but I do my best. Now, Along with a few other folk we have set up a business in entertainment, part of our vision is to afford the opportunity to young people (circa 8 years up to around 15/16, school kids basically) who think they might want to take up an instrument a chance to try it out. this saves parents wasting money on something that might not stick, that is if they can afford to buy anything in the first place. Times are certainly not easy!!
We have a fully stocked rehearsal room set up which we maintain purely for the acts that we have on our roster. decent, well looked after gear, not the usual beat up stuff you get sacrificed in a regular rehearsal room. Our long term aim, aside from building a great roster of acts and getting them out working, will be to provide a safe environment for any kids to build bands and get into music without the pressure of buying equipment until they know it's something they want to stick with. Possibly being able to offer cheap deals on our gear and thus rotating our own equipment for the next generation. We have a guitar and bass tutor and a piano teacher already on board with us but up to this point we're stilling putting things in place regards to this part of the project, likely to go live around summertime with the schoolkids.

Now to the question...
I have a young lad coming in on thursday who 'thinks' he wants to learn to play drums, this lad is actually the son of some friends and i've told them that I am not a teacher but i'm happy for their lad to come down and 'have a bash' and show him some simple rythms and practical approaches.
I'm really after some guidance as to what you think would be a good approach from me to help him get some basics in place and keep him interested. He's 14, probably has dreams of being cool, getting rich in a band etc we all know drummers get the best girls so that's a given!!
My problem is, I taught myself banging on pots, pans, bin lids, biscuit barrels and pillows with my stereo belting out dire straits, rolling stones, bon jovi and guns n roses. I did that for 10 years before I could afford a kit. I want this kid to have a chance and give him a good intro!!!
My bottom line here is that i'm not a teacher, I have no intention of being one, I have 2 drum teachers that have been recommended to me by others and will point these kids in that direction if they are keen, I am offering a glimpse into the instrument, a chance to sit behind a nice kit and see if they feel at home. I also want to give them a little bit of 'real' info to take a way. I'm going to start them with a simple LRLRLR kind of thing and maybe move onto LRLLRLRR and so on, just to give them some diddles to take away and tap out, depending how natural he is, we may get onto a straight 4/4 (it wouldn't be the first time) and give them a bit of music to take away so they have an idea of what that is about. Do you think this is a sensible approach or shall I just get them to stick their favourite song on the PA and let him knock himself out on the kit!!??

I'm open to all advice and suggestions.
Thanks for taking time.

[Arky/mod here: I've deleted that other thread in the Technique section - to avoid double threads and because this thread is fine here.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Bring them close together and say,"Drums this is [person's name], [person's name] these are drums."

I would let him sit down behind the kit a play a little.

Most kids are not going to be interested in the rudaments (sp?), they will think drumming is like the rock kind. Explain that if he likes it there are a lot of basics to learn, but show him how to count 8ths and play a super simple rock beat to see how he likes it. If that gets him excited, then he is probably hooked and will want to learn.

This is how I would go about it. That said, I am just someone who taught themselves to bang on some drums enough to be in a local band (I won't claim to be any sort of drummer yet, I don't feel I am good enough).

Also! Good on you for giving kids a place to try this stuff out. I wish I had had something like that here. Though when my band started we pooled our mony and bought a bunch of super cheep crap used instraments to all try and see what we liked (I think we sunk about $250 into getting started). We are still together playing 6 years on.

Cheers x_25.
hey, I think drumming is like the Rock kind!!! what else is there??
seriously tho' thanks, that's good advice.

Back