Just one of those weeks!

KIS, I really have to ask:

If you're in such a rural area, how did you get to playing gigs like this? I'm in kind of the same situation, and I'm curious.

Good luck with the new guitarist, by the way. He sounds like a good addition to the band.
I know keep it simple is gigging more in his immediate area, but another thing to remember is this: The ENTIRE UK--England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland--everything, is smaller than the state of Oregon. So no matter where you'd be, it wouldn't be that far to travel to gigs there. I've been on the road in "roughing it" mode where we've gone from Florida, where I was based, all over the states, through Canada, including places like the Yukon, and Alaska and back. Only having to travel an area the size of Oregon would have been a breeze. On one leg of a tour, our first gig was in Idaho. It was a 56 hour drive from South Florida for us . . . and we "combat drove" the whole way--driving non-stop, just taking turns driving and sleeping.

Another fascinating thing to think about when you consider the size of the UK is how many amazing, influential bands have come only out of England.

Is your keyboard player really that sick that he can't make the gigs?

You know, "the show must go on"!

I come from the school of thought that you'd better be just about dying to miss or cancel a gig. I've played with all kinds of illnesses, very high fevers, being in a lot of pain, etc. Let others do everything else for you before and after the gig, and then just take whatever medicine you need to feel as good as you can and get up there and play.
It was quite bad actually, but he's ok now, & back with us. That gig was a couple of weeks ago. We got through it just fine. We now have our new guitarist on board & we're looking forward to moving on. Always difficult when you loose a talented band mamber, irrespective of your home location.

I know keep it simple is gigging more in his immediate area, but another thing to remember is this: The ENTIRE UK--England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland--everything, is smaller than the state of Oregon. So no matter where you'd be, it wouldn't be that far to travel to gigs there. I've been on the road in "roughing it" mode where we've gone from Florida, where I was based, all over the states, through Canada, including places like the Yukon, and Alaska and back. Only having to travel an area the size of Oregon would have been a breeze. On one leg of a tour, our first gig was in Idaho. It was a 56 hour drive from South Florida for us . . . and we "combat drove" the whole way--driving non-stop, just taking turns driving and sleeping.

Another fascinating thing to think about when you consider the size of the UK is how many amazing, influential bands have come only out of England.
Good observation. Even a trip the length of the country is only an easy daytime drive, and a number equal to 25% of the population of the US lives here! That's more than California & Texas combined.

If you hadn't noticed, my location is in Maryland, which itself can't have too much more inhabited surface area than the UK.

I live in the southern part, which kind of makes me in a similar situation geographically.

Baltimore and DC aren't too far away.

I suppose it's just gigging in the right places.

Ah well, update, it's our last gig tonight with our existing guitarist (the new guitarist will be hiding in the crowd with a Groucho Marx mask & French raincoat!), but what a gig. Our favourite near venue. Outdoor courtyard, tickets only, sold out weeks ago, hog roast, we're going to have some real fun tonight! I'm going to attempt to rig up a drumcam tonight. The sound will probably be stagey awful, but if it works out, I'll post it so you can see a bit of KIS bashing tubs! (be prepared to learn absolutely nothing from the viewing experience)

Good on ya, Andy as Polly might say.

I'm into Aussie phrases this week, ask me why. Looking forward to seeing the vid of this saga played out.
I'll see if I can and catch you playing a complicated riff. Do me a favor and please pan the flashing fan club of yours ( stage right ) while shooting the footage if you can.

Is it because our national erection? Surely not ...

ROFL.. are you making fun of my dyslexia, Pol? lol... remember my warm & considerate PM which was turned on its head because of my grammmatically accidental rim-shot?

Sorry for the detour, Andy. Back on track.

ROFL.. are you making fun of my dyslexia, Pol? lol... remember my warm & considerate PM which was turned on its head because of my grammmatically accidental rim-shot?

Sorry for the detour, Andy. Back on track.

Good news, Abe, I forgot it. One of the joys of ADHD is I forget a lot, the upside being I don't tend to hold grudges. Either I was http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HmDISe8RYY or noting that our media seems terribly excited about the idea of us having a troglodyte as a leader.

Impressed Andy - a sold out gig!

Good news, Abe, I forgot it. One of the joys of ADHD is I forget a lot, the upside being I don't tend to hold grudges. Either I was http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HmDISe8RYY or noting that our media seems terribly excited about the idea of us having a troglodyte as a leader.

Impressed Andy - a sold out gig!
Cheers Pol, yes, 700 tickets sold @£7 a shot, although We can't take all the glory. There's 2 bands on the bill, us & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9mdDoS1joY Eclectic pairing I'd say!

Good on ya, Andy as Polly might say.

I'm into Aussie phrases this week, ask me why. Looking forward to seeing the vid of this saga played out.
I'll see if I can and catch you playing a complicated riff. Do me a favor and please pan the flashing fan club of yours ( stage right ) while shooting the footage if you can.

Cheers Abe, we tossed (sorry mods) for slots & we're on first. Due to town center noise restrictions, that means we're on at 8:00PM, very early, so unlikely there'll be an under garment fest this time around. Here's hoping though, lol. I thought I'd try a drumcam, or at least stage side shoot this time as there's no audience position close enough to get a shot with the Q3. Bit concerned about the sound tonight though. Last time at this gig, we used our own PA, this time out, it's the same crappy PA we were forced to use at our last rally gig. Ah well, it'll be just fine, plus we don't have to haul it around!

Back