THE GOOD SNARE THREAD

This is my first post on the site and i have to say that there are alot of beautiful snare drums out there.I have been drumming for over 25 years and choosing a snare drum is definitly alot harder now as there are so many choices.My advice would be to go to all the drum shops in the area and try them out.I just got my snare drum 2 days ago from the u.s(i live in canada)and for all you canadians out there,i have to let you know that i saved about 300.00 dollars buying it from the u.s.The drum is a 6 1/2" black panther hand hammered phosphor bronze snare drum and it is the wickedest sounding snare i have ever heard.It's got a high end crack and is definitly a loud snare.I also have a 6 1/2" black panther deep forest cherry snare with 24 karat gold hardware on it's way.I'll stick with black panthers.If you are going to try a bunch of snares do try the black panthers,i don't think you will be dissapointed,but thats just my opinion.

I personally love black panthers,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I havent seen many posts of people saying they like em as much as me! What is with you guys!

DW Edge also

Oh yeah, and pearl innovations, although the promotional video has dennis chambers showing off WAY too much

Always seeing the glass as half empty,

Giantantreal

I wouldn't mind a Tempus carbon fiber or fiberglass. The shells are something like 3mm thick, very resonant, warm and loud.

hey everyone, im new here and i was just looking round the threads, i was going to buy a mmx snare but after reading this thread im begining to have second thoughts, no one seems to rate them as one they'd buy, for that kinda money what else do u think i should be lookin at? i play rock and like a sensitive snare

thank you

drummertilidie said:
I just got my snare drum 2 days ago from the u.s(i live in canada)and for all you canadians out there,i have to let you know that i saved about 300.00 dollars buying it from the u.s.The drum is a 6 1/2" black panther hand hammered phosphor bronze snare drum and it is the wickedest sounding snare i have ever heard.It's got a high end crack and is definitly a loud snare.

Hey - I just bought the exact same Black Panther hammered phosphor bronze snare from Steve's Music in Ottawa. I paid their regular price, $400 CAD (not MSRP), which is on par with any American price I've seen on-line except no shipping or brokerage nonsense. They have shops in Toronto and Montreal as well and is my no-brainer one-stop place for all my gear.

I was a little skeptical about the this "Black Panther" thing but I put it head to head against ten other snare drums at the same price point or higher and it was the most versatile and sensitive snare drum hands down - even compared to a Pearl free-floating maple picolo and a Tama picolo. It also had the most playable dynamic range - that linear feeling of being able to play at all volume levels from ghost notes to super loud. Other drums felt like they didn't have as much in between volume levels. I was kinda surprised at the end of the day but I went for the sound not the name brand recognition.

I have a Black panther which i cant find any where, not even on t'interweb!

It is a 14x6.5 black panther, but it was in the wrong packaging because someone mucked it up at the warehouse (which was good because with the shoddy labeling plus my brother's discount at drummer live, i payed £90 instead of £350)

It had egyptian heiroglyphs all over the side, and it is solid steel and i cant find it anywhere!

could anyone tell me the model number or details if they know?

thanx

Here my favorites:
  1. DW 5 x 14 Aluminum with the Nickelworks/MTM Kit and this drum ROCKS!!
  2. DW 4 x 14" Collectors' with the Nickelworks/MTM kit
  3. Pearl FFS 3 - 1/2 x 14 Brass Snare Drum
  4. DW 3 - 1/2 x 14 Collectors' with the Nickelworks/MTM kit - this is an older snare - most likely pre-96
  5. 1966 5 x 14 Ludwig - who hasn't owned one of these?

Attachments

• Aluminum 1.JPG
    Aluminum 1.JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 3,985
  • Black 1.JPG
    Black 1.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 3,997
  • Picture 2.JPG
    Picture 2.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 3,962
wondering if anyone knows anything about the chad smith sig snare or the stewart copeland sig, bcuz those snares interest me, or if u know of any other sweet snare drums in the 150-350 dollar price range that i shuld look into, thanks

hey, i wuz looking into the chad smith or stewart copeland sig snares, and i wuz wondering if anyone had played them and could tell me about them, or if anyone knows of any other good solid snare drums in the 150-350 dollar range that i shuld look into, any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I am currently playing a Ludwig Acrolite 14" x 5" Snare Drum with the Evans ST Dry head and I love its sound. It's very reminiscent of Dave Krusen's snare from Pearl Jam's first album, Ten. I'm looking to upgrade it though. Of all the snare sounds I've heard my favorites would have to be Dave Abbruzzesse's snares. Songs like Glorified G on Vs. define he sound I want out of my snare. I know he favored 12" x 7" Brady Snare Drums. He was a recording genius though I mean almost a different snare sound for every song on Vs. Listen to Go, then Animal, then Glorified G, and then Rearviewmirror all of those are differences in snare sounds that were not caused by a simple head replacement or electronic touch-ups or alternate tuning.

I am looking for that Glorified G Dave Abbruzzeese snare sound ot the This Is not for You snare sound. I know there are studio variables but I've heard enough live performances of dave to confirm that what he played is around what I'm looking for. Though I tend to lean towards steel snares because i like their high end attack and focus Abbruzzesse's useda 12” x 7” Jarrah Block Snare, a 12” x 7” Sheoak Block Snare, and a 14” x 8” Jarrah Ply/White Gimlet Basketweave Snare all made by Brady which are way expensive since I would have to order it directly from Australia.

I've been looking into Joey Jordison's signature model which is 13" x 6.5" and I'm drawn to it though I feel it's almost too focused as much as I loike focused snare sounds I like a small amount of resonance rather than none at all. If anyone can tell me what they think of Joey's snare or give me any other ideas or suggestions as to something similar to Dave's I'd appreciate it. Sorry for the lengthy post i tend to babble.

Hey Im looking for a new snare around the 300-500 dollar price range and i need some suggestions please. Hey drummertilidie let me know what you think of the 6 1/2" black panther deep forest cherry

Ok... here is what I found this month:

I really, really like my Pork Pie pig lite acrylic 6x14" snare. it does everything very well.

I found a snare that just rips the eyelids off my yamaha mususahi oak (13x6.5)

That's the Pork Pie pig lite 13x6 snare. OMG.... tuning range, power, projection and warmth totally rock!

This is a snare that I liked better than Craviatto solid shell snares.

Update: I have ordered a Tempus woven carbon fiber snare, 6.5x14" in red glitter. $365.

redsn.jpg

I will post pictures of the actual drum when I get it.

I am currently playing a p.o.s. Peavey snare, but I'm looking to replace it with a Yamaha Musashi, or a Joey Jordison Sig. The JJ Sig is so nice and has a great snap sound, with the bite of a piccillo (wrong spelling) at the end. The Yamaha Musashi is just my hands down favorite snare I've heard.

zildjian_dude101 said:
The Yamaha Musashi is just my hands down favorite snare I've heard.

That's my side snare now. It is an amazing snare. And the price: Under $250 for that thing!

I heard that free floater recently at a local club.
I was so supprised by it's sound... fat! ...with lots of snap.

SNARE HELP

Hey everyone,

im only 14 but iu have been playing the drums for 3 year now and im ready for a new snare drum, The current snare drum come with a Mapex Pro M series kit which is pretty well.....crappy. Would enyone know a snare drum i could buy with a very crisp/sharp sound?

Thanks

Michael

Re: SNARE HELP

bagsy911 said:
Hey everyone,

im only 14 but iu have been playing the drums for 3 year now and im ready for a new snare drum, The current snare drum come with a Mapex Pro M series kit which is pretty well.....crappy. Would enyone know a snare drum i could buy with a very crisp/sharp sound?

Thanks

Michael

1) $199 13x.6.5 Yamaha musashi oak

NSD-1365M-small.jpg

2) $199 14x6 Pork Pie pig lite

62060.jpg

3) Mapex black panther (pick one)
Black-Panther-Snares-sm.jpg

4) $340 Tempus carbon fiber 14x6.5
tempusSnareBig.jpg

Re: SNARE HELP

thx for dat man, correct me if im wrong but i heard there are types of snare drums called piccolo snares and apparently there give a very crisp sharp sound if so could u please recommend some to me

thnx alot

Back