Laptop won't play Igoe's DVD's

THC

Today I picked up Great Hands.... from the local drum shop, and just found that my laptop won't play it. This is discouraging because I was planning on running it through the laptop to a large monitor and speakers at my kit so I can "play along" with my pads.

The dvd player and tv is upstairs in the living room. Not very practice friendly.

This laptop is an HP that's a couple years old running XP. It's trying to play it in Windows Media Player and is saying it doesn't have a compatible dvd decoder. Web help gets me to this page, http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/windows-media-player/plug-ins but this is a company computer and so I'm limited on what I can do to it, or wish to spend on it.

Anybody know of any work arounds, free software, or any other ideas on how I can get this thing playing on my laptop?

I had a problem with the CD that came with the book, but not the DVD. The CD wouldn't play in my Win PC, Mac, or home theater DVD players. I sent it back to the site I ordered from. When the replacement arrived, I immediately copied the files onto my PC drive. I ejected the disk and put it back in, and it is no longer recognized. Looks like there is some quality control issues with burning the media for this product. Great product nonetheless.

Anyway, looks like you need to download the correct codec (coder/decoder). There are plenty out there, both open source and commercial. Be sure you get one from a reputable site and not one that infects its files with spyware/virus etc. I'm running win XP Pro SP3 without anything extra, so I'm not sure why it won't play in yours.

Back