Setup/breakdown times

Just wondered how long it takes you all to setup your kit and then breakdown at the end of the night.

I have had a few comments from people in the audience about how quick it takes me to setup compared to the previous evenings drummer (my band play clubs which are usually open during the day so soundcheck takes place in front of an audience).

I decided to time myself, and once I have put all my drums (still in cases) on the stage it takes 8 minutes for me to unpack and be setup ready to soundcheck. At the end of the gig it takes 6 minutes to break my kit down and back into the cases. Obviously if it's a cramped stage then it takes me a little longer, likewise if I arrive at a venue late then I have been known to set my kit up in just under 7 minutes.

I play a standard setup by the way - bass drum, snare, 2 toms, 3 cymbals plus hi hats.

Not a points scoring contest by the way, just interested :)

10 minutes is about right for setting up.

Pretty sure I pack away quicker that I setup, I can hear my bed a calling!

I've even packed away mid-song once, really crap gig with nobody there, a pay on the door job or as I call it free entertainment for a venue. Anyhoos bloody Freedbird was the last song and I managed to get down to bass drum, hi hat and snare from a one up two down setup, that was fun!

My setup is simple 1 up 2 down, 2 crashes, ride n hats.

Pretty sure as with most working musicians, you all have setup and pack away down to military precision!

Almost every show we play we have a 15 setup time. I can get my drums set up, sound checked and grab a beer in 15 minutes. The longest part is waiting for the guy before us to get his stuff off the stage.

When I was doing it all of the time, about 10 min.

These days? I swear it feels like 20 min. at least. Probably closer to 15 b/c I'm out of practice.

Once all the cases are in the building it takes about 10 minutes. Sometimes around here, you have a five minute walk (or more) from your car to the venue, so bringing the cases in can take 20 minutes...

I would guess less than ten minutes of actual setting up, but I don't get everything to the stage before putting things together. I bring in the first cartload with the BD, carpet, and hardware. I set those up and then take the empty cases back to the car and then bring in the toms and cymbals. I put those up and then take those cases back to the car. All in all it takes about 15-20 minutes. Some venues are more awkward to set up than others. Taking down takes me longer because I don't have room. I'm having to work around all the guitar amps, mics, drunk band members, etc...

Between 15 & 20 minutes, depends on the 4 piece or 5 piece kt and how many cymbals I use?

5-piece kit; 4 cymbals; some aux percussion; in-ears & mixer. If everyone stays outta my way, 20 minutes from car to done.

Depends if I'm in the studio or on stage. everything inside the building, it takes me about a 20 min. to set up in the studio, and about 15 minutes if I'm on stage. And that's with a smaller bop kit. I prefer that I take my own sweet time setting up, unless the situation calls for me to be quick about it. I like to check and double check everything as I'm putting everything together and placing stands and equipment. That way once the show starts I never have to worry about, "Man, I wish my crash was an 1/8" to the left, I should have set my rack tom further out, etc...."

Back in the 90's I found myself playing electric bass in a 22 piece swing band.

After a few really good gigs I noticed that the horns and winds would pack up their tiny little instruments and leave. Just leave. No offers to help with other gear. So after about the 3rd gig and after I stuck around to help with stands, drums, chords, amps, etc... I had a heart to heart with the entire band at the next rehearsal.

They weren't happy. Which made me unhappy, which caused an organized strike by the rhythm section (i.e. drums, bass, piano, guitar) which (before the next gig) led to settlement and the matter was resolved.

I still think about that sometimes... why would anyone just choose to leave and not offer a hand at load out? Very strange.

Because most people are just pricks who don't give a shit about anyone but themselves, sadly. I've been there, too.

I don't know, many times when people try to help me it's more of an annoyance. I know they mean well, but they usually collapse the stands wrong or put stuff away incorrectly. I always politely decline help breaking down.

I certainly don't think that people should be required to do so. Everyone's responsible for their own instruments. If was something like a PA or shared music stands, that makes sense. But I've never understood why other drummers think people should help them break down? Again, it's nice when people offer to, but I don't understand why people get mad at someone for not helping them break down their own instrument...

There are times that I look at the piano player who only had to bring a bag of books, and get jealous, but that's part of being a drummer.

wow you guys are fast. From unloading my car to ready for sound check with a miced kit is close to an hour, but I help with PA and lights too.

I don't know, many times when people try to help me it's more of an annoyance. I know they mean well, but they usually collapse the stands wrong or put stuff away incorrectly. I always politely decline help breaking down.

I certainly don't think that people should be required to do so. Everyone's responsible for their own instruments. If was something like a PA or shared music stands, that makes sense. But I've never understood why other drummers think people should help them break down? Again, it's nice when people offer to, but I don't understand why people get mad at someone for not helping them break down their own instrument...

There are times that I look at the piano player who only had to bring a bag of books, and get jealous, but that's part of being a drummer.

I'm not necessarily talking about my stuff. I get so uptight about my stuff that people say, "Lighten up, Francis." :) Asking me if I need a hand goes a long, long way to getting on my good side, though. And I'll never stop someone from carrying things if they ask and I know they're not going to play rugby with it.

For me, it's helping with the big stuff without which the band couldn't play. Like the PA, stands, cords, that kind of thing.

Really, it's about being part of the team. Are we all part of the band or not? If we are, pitch in. Don't carry your goddamn piccolo to the car and leave.

Wow, I seem to be as slow as molasses. Takes me about 30 minutes once everything is carted in and near the stage, and that is with a one up, one down kit.

About 10-15 minutes for a 4 piece kit with hi-hat/ride/crash.

why would anyone just choose to leave and not offer a hand at load out? Very strange.

I found myself in a situation once where the band leader(a family relation of mine) stood around while I tore down my set and packed it up.

Once I was done with that he expected me to be tearing down his gear

I left...and it was the last time I worked with him.

I was NOT contracted as a roadie...I found that very rude.

Back