African drumming

So Arky,considering another current thread ,on roughly the same subject,do you feel that the featured drummer,failed,by current social norms of the north east,to transform his recycled percussion garbage ,into a traditional instrument?Please take abject poverty, lack of food and clean water into account.Smooth Operator wants to know.:)

Steve B

Pretty cool video -

I can't help but imagine Daniel Tosh breaking this one down though - there are SO many comments just teed up for my inner smart-ass. But I will refrain and simply say it is a cool video...

MM

So Arky,considering another current thread ,on roughly the same subject,do you feel that the featured drummer,failed,by current social norms of the north east,to transform his recycled percussion garbage ,into a traditional instrument?Please take abject poverty, lack of food and clean water into account.Smooth Operator wants to know.:)
Steve, I don't fully understand your question.
Obviously these drums work for him, the boy looks like having a lot of fun, he's using those drums for the primordial purpose instruments were invented - to share his joy and the experience of sounds and rhythm with others. Looks like full score to me. Do they care about setup imperfections? It doesn't look so ;-)

I think the video is pretty inspiring and a good way to remind ourselves to readjust our views and appreciate what we have, in various respects.

Whether he's doing it for tips (money for food), entertainment, or attention (like many of us) he's doing a great job and certainly entertaining the crowd if not himself as well. So much better than sitting around moping about his situation in life, or playing video games. Props to him.

Steve B

I think it is pretty obvious that whatever the materials were, they were transformed into a drum set. After the gig, I bet he sells them and buys dun-dun's, with his cash.

Steve, I don't fully understand your question.
Obviously these drums work for him, the boy looks like having a lot of fun, he's using those drums for the primordial purpose instruments were invented - to share his joy and the experience of sounds and rhythm with others. Looks like full score to me. Do they care about setup imperfections? It doesn't look so ;-)

I think the video is pretty inspiring and a good way to remind ourselves to readjust our views and appreciate what we have, in various respects.

Arky,This was a failed attempt at humor,and hinged on you first reading the Garbage Percussion thread.

But I do agree that the young drummer,was having a blast,playing something that most of us,wouldn't consider as a drum set.His joyful display,is an inspiration,and a painful reminder of the abject poverty,that still grips third world countries.

As a retired NYPD detective,I've seen some of the ghetto neighborhoods of NY City,that resemble thirld world nations.I'm thankfull everyday for what I have,and do what I can to help others..when I can.

Steve B

I went ahead transcribed part of this-- I wanted to do the whole thing, which is possible, but flipping hard. The kid is crushing. Most people will never have as a good a cymbal hand as his left.

Here's the easiest basic groove he plays-- work this up to about QN=195:

gotd_streets-of-aba_02.jpg

Back