Do you guys know any....?

This is a great thread!

I'm in a modern-alternative-ish rock band (mostly covers) and we had someone ask us if we know any Creedence the other week... Not really us, I'm afraid. But thanks for asking! :)

Another thing that's funny is the guy that comes up to the side of the band and tries to start a conversation, while we're STILL PLAYING... This happens surprisingly often! Happened again the other night. Still makes me laugh, that.

Me too with "FREEBIRD" or PLAY SOME SKYNYRD" We (the band) all live in southeastern PA near Philly but get a lot of gigs in Maryland and for some reason it always happens there... must be a Mason Dixon line thing... we never hear it in PA...so we now have a MD set list that throws in some Kid rock and Skynyrd and a PA set list that excludes it.....when in Rome

The chorus to SWA isn't that bad.

This is a strange acronym...we are talking about Sweet Home Alabama here, right?

A bunch of drunks hollering SWA ... ugh! Hideousness upon hideousness! lol
If an audience member requested SWA, I'd ... I'd ... actually, I really like the tempo and groove, just the song is horrid.

Ok, now I'm even more confused. Either I have missed the point altogether or a self-confessed pedant has missed the spelling error twice. What's going on, people?!

You've obviously been doing your Oz studies, Major :)

I'll give you a tip ... we don't have shrimps in Oz, we have prawns and we usually don't BBQ them but eat them cold. Now if you said "put another snag on the barbie" ...

His location says 'Melbourne, Australia' so he's putting on a big effort to deceive you here.
Or maybe he really does live there.

What a pendantic post this is! Please excuse me!

Mate, it's a classic! A classic I tell you! It's the stuff that throwing shrimps on the barbie is made of, damn it!

On a more serious note, someone always yells out "DO ACCA DACCA (AC/DC)", don't they?

Mate.....you haven't lived until you've been screamed at to "play acca dacca".

It was a request that we were at least able to accomodate in some way, shape or form though. Have still never satisfied anyone's desire to hear Khe Sanh though.......unfortunately, I sold my soul to the black market man years ago.......kept the cigarettes though. :)

The thing about Skynyrd is this.
During the seventies I had to play all of the tunes by Skynyrd even though I didn't really care for them. I sucked it up and I was OK with that. I actually grew to like some of the songs.
When the plane crash tragedy occurred, I had to play more and more Skynyrd tunes.
This went on and on through the Eighties.
I got Skynyrd out!
I can play these tunes in my sleep!
I just can't take it anymore!

I was in a post-rock band that was asked to do Say It Ain't So by Weezer.
Well, it was an open-mic so we decided, why the hell not?
Everything went normal and our guitarist did a pretty sweet solo. As we came to the last chorus though, our singer started screaming it..I figured that was my que and started doing a 16th note double bass run until the end of the song. It was one of my finest moments.

Me too with "FREEBIRD" or PLAY SOME SKYNYRD" We (the band) all live in southeastern PA near Philly but get a lot of gigs in Maryland and for some reason it always happens there... must be a Mason Dixon line thing... we never hear it in PA...so we now have a MD set list that throws in some Kid rock and Skynyrd and a PA set list that excludes it.....when in Rome

Really? We get chants for Freebird so often, we learned it. Now, when we do it (only when chanted for) people go nuts. Like, seriously nuts. Painfully so. And we are a central PA based band (Reading, Harrisburg, Lancaster, etc).

I have been told that Lynard Skynard (the active lineup) has been known to play Freebird twice at the same show. I cannot verify it and perhaps the crowds were demanding it. But that speaks volumes if true.

I have been told that Lynard Skynard (the active lineup) has been known to play Freebird twice at the same show. I cannot verify it and perhaps the crowds were demanding it. But that speaks volumes if true.

My understanding (coming from a boy in Melbourne, Aust?.....yeah, right!!) is that they "play" it, but don't actually "sing" the lyrics. It's deemed to be Ronnie's song and they leave it at that.....anyone care to clarify?

My understanding (coming from a boy in Melbourne, Aust?.....yeah, right!!) is that they "play" it, but don't actually "sing" the lyrics. It's deemed to be Ronnie's song and they leave it at that.....anyone care to clarify?

Very well may be the case. This would've been circa the 90s according to the gentleman who told the story (as I recall). I shouldn't have posted it as I was speculating. My point was whether you love it or hate it, the song's significance in terms of the # of people whose hearts and minds were moved and to what extent they were moved is just undeniable. Would like to know if it is true if there are any die-hards out there.

You all do realize that the shout of "play Freebird" is a running gag now right. You cant go to a show without somebody yelling that, and I confess that on more than one occasion that person has been me. I dont really expect anybody to play it, its just something funny to yell.

nobody's ever asked me to do a request. although i have been known to yell "play some blondie" at death metal bands, "play some slayer" and classic rock bands and "play the one that doesn't suck" at really bad bands....

Really? We get chants for Freebird so often, we learned it. Now, when we do it (only when chanted for) people go nuts. Like, seriously nuts. Painfully so. And we are a central PA based band (Reading, Harrisburg, Lancaster, etc).

They are popular everywhere thats for sure... guess the point I was making the diversity in a crowd if you travel 100 miles where I live is pretty intense...play in Delaware County Pa and then travel 100 mi south to Hartford County MD and the amount of Skynyrd chants/fans is a 8.1 ratio difference. where the ac/dc chant/request seems to be the same everywhere we play.
As far as liking there music, the drumming on the live "one more from the road" was a big influence on my drumming...the guy has some chops

Back