If you need motivation to practice, and you know Terry Bozzio...

LOL, that was reassuring to say the least. Seemed like a pretty easy beat he was trying to do but was just having one of those days. Pretty cool thanks for finding that.

Brain freeze...it happens to the master drummers too!

I've seen Bozzio play stuff like that without a problem at faster tempos. Sometimes when the tempo is slower (like when showing something to a student) it brings the coordination to an uncomfortable place. That is my guess as to what happened. It's cool that Terry released it.

In Erskine's book, The Drum Perspective, he says that one of his teachers wanted him to not be afraid of mistakes. We often learn more from mistakes than by playing things correctly.

Jeff

Oooh, I feel so much better now. Yep, even the masters can choke up a little. I love the way he handles it too. Keeps right on going. Thanks for posting, that made my day especially since I've been working on something that seems easy like that and it's kicking my butt!

Sometimes when the tempo is slower (like when showing something to a student) it brings the coordination to an uncomfortable place.

You are so correct...
Bozzio rulez!

So true, Jeff. The feeling of the pattern changes dramatically at much lower tempos and it certainly takes me time to work it out.

It's weird to see such a top player being human; impressed that he'd let that clip go out for public consumption. He's obviously very secure. Good one, Terry, and thanks Colerosity.

Last edited:
Back