The need for speed

Within the firm clasp of all things Univ, MFB?

Hope you're having a blast. It won't last long... & please don't drive. Specially in those glasses... mics coming up next week hopefully...

back on topic -...on speed... it thrills in a very primal way doesn't it. In almost any aspect of our lives.

I drink the beer slowly and the spirits quickly. The trick is to keep the beer just 'ticking over' until you get nicely drunk but don't drink too much too quickly. It's all about the quiet pint or six...

The avatars are just me over the last two weeks or so...

Is this the way you dress for class?

I actually learned why people (not just drummers) like speed from my ACT (college exam) tutor. He was teaching me how to read fast, which is necessary to complete the test in time on this test. He said that our brains like speed. Our brains work in quick pictures and sound. So, the reason why drummers like speed is that their brains require speed.

Another example, the average time (so I've heard) for a frame to stay up on television is 7 seconds. Movie producers have found that in order to keep a person engaged is to constantly switch up frames.

Yet another example, most people love to drive cars fast. People love to watch cars drive fast. It is human to love speed.

Over the course of history, people have wanted faster cars, means of communication, etc. We have progressed from walking to driving, from letters to text messaging, from cooking things over a fire to a microwave. Humans just love speed.

I hope this makes sense.
I think this holds true for one part of the brain. The other side wants creativity, a holistic vision of rhythm, "groove", "pocket", you name it. It is more interested with the artistic and bigger aspects of drumming than simply technique or speed (why does it matter that you can play 8 notes a second?)

This is probably oversimplifying but in general, the left part of the brain focuses on your skill, your technique, specific elements in music (f. ex. specific riffs -- thinking about them, not feeling them). And things like your speed. The right brain thinks always in relation to what is heard, how you can artistically enhance the sound image (be that with a full band or just yourself), it flows and creates a connection with the music (and in reality, with rhythm) that can establish a nice groove or get you in "the pocket".

I find it curious, when I started, not so long ago (almost 2 years) all I wanted was groove, now I want speed to accompany the groove. I don't see what speed for speed's sake ets us but I see no harm in getting the chops.

my sister, who is a full time professional classical guitarist, tells me that if you want to impress people, play LOUD and FAST! her advice is not lost on me.

Speed means does not decifer if you are good or not. I remember one time after a gig a kid came up to me and asked if I could play something fast and cool. I said no, not because I can't but because there is no reason for me to show you that. So I played a nice even jazz groove, at maybe 95 bpm, and impressed the crap out of the other drummers there.

I am not saying speed isnt good. It is good in context, but it doesn't make you good.

Is this the way you dress for class?

No, although right now I a technically wearing girl's shoes. They have flowers on and everything and I even shaved my beard off. Yeah, I was traumatised. A Uni student actually LOSING a beard. I might just give up and go tramp in the end though.

A grip would be one way of putting it. I have to do a mandatory music theory class which is proving very difficult, but I'll get the hang of it eventually.

Speed is, by definition, quantifiable. If I say I can play 16th notes at 150 bpm, that is a fixed achievement, not affected by subjective measure (assuming the notes are played in time...).

In order to play an existing song, you need to have the physical ability to generate the notes at or around the tempo of the version of the song people are familiar with.

Just considering those two points, any beginning drummer is going to plot his/her progress against the clock.

Later, the ability to play fast yields greater endurance and control, which can be extremely helpful at lower tempos. So the intermediate drummer views the ability to play fast not simply as a race, but as a measure of strength.

The advanced drummer generally has become comfortable with his/her "top gear," and may eschew speed drills altogether in favor of something more musically useful.

Speed is where its at! Speed fulfills all our needs! Speed is what makes NASCAR and Drag Racing popular! Speed is what makes Football and other sports popular. Speed is what makes everything work! When a manufacturer produces a product, Speed is the measure that the product's success is based on. How many can you make, and how fast can you make them! It only stands to reason that drumming is that way. People have a vision in their head that a drummer can play fast. When they go and see a show they expect it to contain a portion of the concert where the drummer plays fast. That is the nature of the beast! It is only natural that drummers want to capitalize on this. In reality, It is harder to play slowly. Funny how that works. I have found that the secret is to play fast and softly. That seems to get them every time. Anyone can play fast and loud. When you play fast and at a low volume, That's when things start to happen! Just my Take on the subject. Take it for what its worth, All that I ask is that you read this slowly so that you can take the time to understand my post.

I have found that the secret is to play fast and softly. That seems to get them every time. Anyone can play fast and loud. When you play fast and at a low volume, That's when things start to happen!

That's the exact same thing I ask of my students! Always fast and soft. The hardest to do.

I still don't think it has anything to do with being able to measure. From what I see, kids just want to go as fast as they can, regardless of how fast that really is. They're not interested in how fast it is compared to a metronome, they just want to play as fast as their physical limits will allow.. and then make a mistake and start again.

And just to make sure, this isn't a discussion on whether speed is good or bad (we have enough of that already) but rather a question where our natural need for speed comes from and what drives it even from such a young age.

Back