Eddie Hoh (Fast Eddie Hoh)

hayman73

I'd like to know as to why a drummer that has played on so many famous recordings is completely obscure. I have tried and tried to find pictures,info,footage of this unknown yet famous session drummer (Eddie Hoh). I know all the records he's played on but thats all............his notable session drumming can be heard on many Monkees recordings and The Super Sessions but as far from that little is known of this great drummer......Why????
I found one tiny photo of him and it was very grainy and a horrible shot. You'd think here on Drummerworld you'd find such a high in demand session drummer.........No!!!. So has anyone out there seen Eddie Hoh????

THANKS
and
CHEERS

Have you heard "Carnival of Life" by Lee Michaels? I think this is Eddie's best playing along with supersession. This was actually the album that inspired me to start playing. I wish I could be of more help as to what happened to him, but he pretty much flew under the radar.
If you could post a list of everything he played on, that would be great. Beautiful style, great sound.

I've also heard him referred to as "shades" Hoh.

Looks like I am not alone as to what happened to "Fast" Eddie Hoh:

I sent an e-mail to Al Kooper asking him what he knew, he came back with I think he died young in a automobile crash.... key word "think" not good enough for me, recently while I was surfing around the web I came across Jim Reeves site he had done some work with Harvey Brooks (bass player on the super session lp) I ask Jim if he had any old photos or heard anything about Eddie Hoh, unfortunately his answer was no and that he had not seen Harvey Brooks since the 70's dead end... the journey continues. Harvey Brooks has a web site and is also listed on you tube "viewfromthebottom" he has a little segment / video where he talks about the Super Session Lp. among other sessions he was part of very informative, I sent off an e-mail to Harvey asking him what became of Eddie Hoh? his response... last I heard Eddie drove his motorcycle into lake Michigan, he didn't say he had passed on, ok light at the end of the tunnel, I posted my e-mail note from Al Kooper on another web site inquiring about Eddie, and received a few responses, other people have inquired about Eddie as well, a policeman from the west side of Chicago suburbs sees Eddie on a regular bases walking down the street talking to himself... he has mental health issues and considered homeless and very reluctant to discuss his past, he has a couple of friends to look after him. It was also mentioned that he bought a set of drums a couple of years ago, so...I'll back off looking for Mr. Eddie Hoh I've satisfied my curiosity it would have been nice to shake his hand and tell him what I thought about his drumming... maybe another time, good health to you all.

Joe Zwainul? Is that you?

It sounds like he was horribly underrated. I've never listened to any of his material, but I wish I had based on this thread.

Last month I had the privilege of hearing Eddie Hoh play the drums for me in a "private concert" at a mutual friend's house after we had lunch together. He's still alive and playing great!

Thought I would post a couple of passages from GO WHERE YOU WANNA GO The Oral History Of The Mamas & The Papas by Matthew Greenwald concerning Eddie Hoh, the first a quote from Jim Mason [band Webster's New World] and the second from Denny Doherty [The Mamas & The Papas]:

Jim Mason: ...I remember... going to some club with John and Denny and... Eddie Hoh... We all ended up at this club late at night, like a blues club - and I remember that these guys all jammed... Eddie Hoh had these luminous drumsticks, and at one point in the show it would go to a black-light or something, and there was just this blur of drumsticks - it was awesome, real showmanship.

Denny Doherty: ...Eddie Hoh from Chicago. Poor bugger, he died. But we had a lot of fun with him...

Hi Gang I'm Kal Fagan I was manager of a Band Called Robby and the Troubadours in 1962 on Rush Street at the Rumpus Room on 44 Walton I gave Eddie his first Pro gig as our drummer. We made a lot of noise then in Chi Town. Eddie was a great drummer and great dedicated kid and the band and myself loved him. There were rumors that he died I sure hope not. Im in the process of doing a compilation album and documentary on the band. And would love to hear from you all. If you have any recordings or material on Eddie or Robby and the Troubadours please contact me. Eddie if your reading this get in touch with me.
kal fagan
954 990 6794

From a MONKEES insider (txt 5 min ago)-

Me: "Do you know what happened to Eddie Hoh?"

Insider: "In a halfway house."

From a MONKEES insider (txt 5 min ago)-

Me: "Do you know what happened to Eddie Hoh?"

Insider: "In a halfway house."

I think this is true. My brother has had his share of issues, and ended up in a place like this. (outside Chicago) Anyway, he was messaging me last year telling me that a guy named Eddie Hoh was in there with him...former drummer from The Monkees. My brother has since been released from the program. I'll ask him if Eddie was still in there when my brother got out...

I ws Eddies Mgr. When he was in my band in 62 with a group called Robby and the Troubadours great drummer, guy and personal friend. Rummours he passed on, if not true advise me.

kal fagan
954 990 6794

lucky711 said:
Hi Gang I'm Kal Fagan I was manager of a Band Called Robby and the Troubadours in 1962 on Rush Street at the Rumpus Room on 44 Walton I gave Eddie his first Pro gig as our drummer. We made a lot of noise then in Chi Town. Eddie was a great drummer and great dedicated kid and the band and myself loved him. There were rumors that he died I sure hope not. Im in the process of doing a compilation to buy essays cheap and an album and documentary on the band. And would love to hear from you all. If you have any recordings or material on Eddie or Robby and the Troubadours please contact me. Eddie if your reading this get in touch with me.
kal fagan
954 990 6794

Btw, they never mentioned the reason of his death, just "undisclosed causes". It's been confirmed that he died in a "nursning house." Here's an interview with Chip Douglas confirming that the recording where Eddie Hoh played drums on "Christmas Is My Time Of Year" is authentic: https://www.monkeeslivealmanac.com/...ee-exclusive-a-conversation-with-chip-douglas

Back