Whats your single roll speed?

16th notes comfortably at 200 bpm with my hands, 270 on the kicks.

Edit: forearms start to burn before one minute though. I've worked on hand speed for a total of about 2 hours in 5 years.

Last edited:
Some of the replies are stunning. I'd say 240 bpm (or call it 120) is where the natural limit is (Buddy Rich begins to sweat...)

Anything above that is endless hours of practice and lots of finger technique. On a real snare drum it sounds more like a buzz!

Single rolls for bass drums and hands RLRL and LRLR at 130 bpm though 16 notes on bass drums are much higher. Something like 160 to 194 bpm.

I can do 16th SSRs for short bursts from around the the 210 to the 215ish range. 190 is my max for a significant length of time with any sort of control. I've been playing for 30 years and thats been plenty of fast. The only thing I can think of where I need to be anywhere close to that speed was a song I recorded last year for an album. The songs tempo is 185 and it ends with 16th note 8 bar crescendo SSR on the snare to finish the song. I've never needed them faster in a real world scenario to serve a song and probably never will.

Work your technique and the speed will come on its own.

Back