No band

SilenceDogood

Well, i don't really want to ask anything. I just want to speak my mind about not having band members. I really, really love playing drums and the only 2 people in the world that I jam with are no longer available. They say they can make it for jam session but bail out the last minute leaving me along in the studio with no one to jam with. It just saddens me that there's no one i can play and everytime I pick up my sticks to practice, I say to myself why am I even practicing when there's no one play with? Well yeah that's it, i just want to post my disappointment here. Hahaha. Thanks and have a good day :)

Well, i don't really want to ask anything. I just want to speak my mind about not having band members. I really, really love playing drums and the only 2 people in the world that I jam with are no longer available. They say they can make it for jam session but bail out the last minute leaving me along in the studio with no one to jam with. It just saddens me that there's no one i can play and everytime I pick up my sticks to practice, I say to myself why am I even practicing when there's no one play with? Well yeah that's it, i just want to post my disappointment here. Hahaha. Thanks and have a good day :)

Where are you from?

Surely there are ads you can post or feelers you can put out?

Be patient and I reckon you'll make some buddies in time.

And if these cretins keep letting you down, better to let them bugger off to be honest.

Craigslist can be a good source of local talent.

I can relate to you situation. My band just recently broke up. I've been answering ads and auditioning. But can't find a good fit. Sometimes its tough to stay motivated to practice but you gotta remember what you love about drumming. Play the tunes or beats that make you feel good. (even though you may feel you need to work on a weakness). Try to have fun and keep looking. Go to an open mic night and hangout, network. Go to some local shows and introduce yourself. Be patient.....Then repeat this advice back to me because I feel you pain!! Keep at it man, you're a drummer. How cool is that!!

Some information may be needed to actually give good advice. Where are you located? How old are you? (More relevant than you might think.) What is your band experience? Are you a good drummer? What type of music do you want to play?

GeeDeeEmm

As was said earlier, seek out open mic jams. THAT'S where you meet people who are actually interested in getting themselves out there. Find a jam you are comfortable with and start going and jamming. It's the very best way to meet players, because it's informal, they get to see and hear you play, you get to see and hear them play...I considered it like going to school, so much to learn.

My whole drumming world got started....fairly quickly too....at open mic jams. Within probably 5 weeks I was being asked to drum for people. Not the people I was dying to play with, but you have to start somewhere. I succeeded with what I set out to do, which was play with the best players I could find in my area.

I see this as your best move, get out and meet...and play for..... the musicians in your local scene.

I go to see bands perform and sometimes meet musicians in the audience that I end up jamming with.

I've been in your shoes before.

You need to furnish some more information as to location etc, and also start getting out there to jam nights, open mic nights etc (If you're old enough; again lack of info).

There will always be people who flake on you, be it because they can't be arsed or because they actually do have a valid reason as to why they can't make it. If you enjoy playing persevere, if you're the only person in the rehearsal room, ensure you practice and get your moneys worth. Frustrating: Yes.

But until you inform people of where you are, no-one can give any real advice as to:

1. The best way forward for you.
2. Possible contacts or venues to touch base with.
3. Links to local musicians sites.

One thing about drummers I have noticed over the last 40-odd years is that, unlike many a plank spanker, we will actually help each other.

Back