A way back machine gig!

Wow....like others have said, painful to simply read....

I consider myself to be a bit of a hack, but damn, at least we do the right things, the right way. None of that stuff. (OK, occasionally I hear a "little" noodling, which drives me nuts, but usually just getting back on stage and only for a moment or two, never once we get started. And even that's too much, heh heh)

And these guys continue to get work?

Wow....like others have said, painful to simply read....

I consider myself to be a bit of a hack, but damn, at least we do the right things, the right way. None of that stuff. (OK, occasionally I hear a "little" noodling, which drives me nuts, but usually just getting back on stage and only for a moment or two, never once we get started. And even that's too much, heh heh)

And these guys continue to get work?

It sounds like they were regulars at this particular watering hole. Like I said, if the people hiring them don't care, I guess it's a lost cause and maybe they don't get hired anywhere else?

Usually places I play are keen on keeping people engaged and drinking to make a profit, which justifies the band. Why you would hire a band and not really care what they do would make me wonder if the owner is independently rich and doesn't need the income, or out of business soon.

I have played in too many bands like that.And it does drive me nuts and is stressful.I played in a Dad Rock band where the three least skilled players were running things and it was like Bo described,and they reveled in their musical ignorance.They referred to any part of the song that was not the verse and chorus as the "jam Part".

They managed to book gigs but had to keep going to new places because we rarely got invited back especially to bars, even though we were bringing 15 to 25 people with us,so the club was at least breaking even just on our following.

I have played in pro level outfits,and everything in between.

My rule #1 in any band is sound good on everything you do no matter how skilled the band is,but if you have decent vocals and hit the pocket and have a pro presentation even less skilled bands can do well and get invited back esp with Bar Band type music.

It still suprises me that people playing in bands have no idea or don't care how bad they sound or what a horrible presentation they are putting on.

...if a venue is hiring a band with a definite start time, to provide music for dancing and continued drinking, then the fun is in making that happen, no?

..as soon as someone says "venue paying money", that means "give them what they want and don't muck around". Which to me, also translates to "know how to be on time and know your material". There's no reason that can't be fun - the fun is nailing your parts and being part of a team moving towards a common goal, or is that not what "band" means?

+1.

I, and I'm sure you're the same Bo, and I'm sure applies to many other members here too, always turn up to my regular gig (or any other gig) 45 minutes to an hour before, to have enough time to set the kit up at my own pace and still have time after set up before the gig starts. It also ensures the bandleader is not worried where you are and is secure he can always rely on you. That goes a long way in this business.

I'd always rather be an hour or more early than a minute late. I mean let's face it, we're doing what we enjoy the most, playing drums, the best instrument in the world. It's fun. You'd think other musicians would feel as enthusiastic about their own instrument.

It's important to be responsible and have some integrity when being hired. It's really not difficult. Plus it shows respect for the people being nice enough to offer us work. It's not like there's a ton of jobs around anymore like years ago, so the reliable ones will always be in with a better shot of keeping work coming in.

And yes, it's crap if the other guys are messing around and don't know their songs because they clearly don't care enough to have properly learnt their parts. What's that saying..fall to prepare and prepare to fail. it looks so amateur and obviously doesn't inspire you to play.

Bo, with you back there on the set, that's probably the best they've ever sounded and they know it.

Well, I was told as much. But in reality I was probably the first competent guy to come in because I didn't know what I was getting in to! It's sad to think they have to "trick" people to come in and play, right?

What gave you the impression that this gig wouldn't be a joke? I'm not going to take any gig unless I have more specifics.

What gave you the impression that this gig wouldn't be a joke? I'm not going to take any gig unless I have more specifics.

Probably because I played with this bass player the weekend before at an upscale apartment complex with a different band, and since he wasn't in charge, he seemed very professional. Who knew his own gigs would be a free-for-all?

Who knew his own gigs would be a free-for-all?
Did you get a song list? Did you ask to hear any recordings or view any videos of the band? Did you do any research on the venue and see what bands regularly play there? If you didn't do any of that, you're basically saying that you'll play with just about anyone. That's fine if that's how you roll, but not how I decide on whether to play music with someone.

For someone just starting out and trying to meet musicians, sure, that's what you do. But I don't think that's you, so really, you may only have yourself to blame. Or maybe that bass player is a really good con man.

Or maybe that bass player is a really good con man.

Not possible. The accumulated years of low-frequency has muddled his brain. Occasionally we can get a bassist to play something other than the root, but nothing more. Definitely not a conman. Definitely.

Did you get a song list? Did you ask to hear any recordings or view any videos of the band? Did you do any research on the venue and see what bands regularly play there? If you didn't do any of that, you're basically saying that you'll play with just about anyone. That's fine if that's how you roll, but not how I decide on whether to play music with someone.

For someone just starting out and trying to meet musicians, sure, that's what you do. But I don't think that's you, so really, you may only have yourself to blame. Or maybe that bass player is a really good con man.

Get off my lawn and take that high horse with you ;)

Wait, the bass player is a chick, and she's cute.... got it!

Wait, the bass player is a chick, and she's cute.... got it!

Although years ago I played with a really cute female bass player in college, I really wish that were the case here. Not even close. Just a bunch of mature guys in their 50s playing in a dive bar :(

Infinite sadness.

There is too much coincidence here.... rumours of a female bassist..... shambolic band.... you used the term infinate sadness...... were you subbing for the smashing pumpkins :p

Just to make a point i love the smashing pumpkins but the have been through their fights through the years. And billys political stance these days is confusing to say the least

Back