Asba Caroline

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Just picked this up at the local Flea Market for $15. It's an extremely rare Asba Pedal made famous by drummers like Mitch Mitchell. It's a little dirty, but as far as I can tell it's in good condition. The only thing missing is the toe stop on top of the pedal. Good luck finding one of these. They're out there, but good luck. When I clean this thing up, it can fetch up to $150.

p_00108.jpg

Very cool score, for $15. Those were the first pedals, I remember, having the hoop clamp wing nut not under the footboard, but on a shaft more easily accessed near the top of the frame. Asba also made a cool hi-hat stand.​
$150 ... well, PT said "there's one born every second..." Glad my brain hasn't gone that soft, yet.​

This is a very cool vintage pedal. JR John Robinson also used this pedal in the 70's.

If you clean it up and have all the original parts, including the spring, and no damage other than wear and tear, you could get $150+ on eBay. If you had the original beater (it's a bit larger and has "Caroline" printed on it, you could prob get $175+

I played this pedal for several years but switched to a DW 5000 chain and sprocket when they came out (1980 or so). Going back to the ASBA feels a little weird and my doubles get a little flat compared to the DW.

awesome find man! how dose it play?

Not sure yet. I just threw it in the back of my car for awhile and just recently pulled it out and took a good look at it. Haven't had a drum set for almost a year now to try it out on. I'll have to get back to you.

Very cool score, for $15. Those were the first pedals, I remember, having the hoop clamp wing nut not under the footboard, but on a shaft more easily accessed near the top of the frame. Asba also made a cool hi-hat stand.​
$150 ... well, PT said "there's one born every second..." Glad my brain hasn't gone that soft, yet.​

Yeah that's one thing really cool about it. There is a wing nut on both sides of the beater right on top of the frame.

This is a very cool vintage pedal. JR John Robinson also used this pedal in the 70's.

If you clean it up and have all the original parts, including the spring, and no damage other than wear and tear, you could get $150+ on eBay. If you had the original beater (it's a bit larger and has "Caroline" printed on it, you could prob get $175+

I played this pedal for several years but switched to a DW 5000 chain and sprocket when they came out (1980 or so). Going back to the ASBA feels a little weird and my doubles get a little flat compared to the DW.

The beater looks just as old as the rest of the pedal and it is wooden, but doesn't say Caroline on it. Plus the toe stop is missing on the pedal part. So maybe this one is only worth $125, but regardless, I just like the look of it. It will look cool on a vintage set. Not sure if I'll give up my Axis to use this one though.

Great score for 15 bucks.The french make pretty good pedals.Ringo also supposedly used the Caroline.Maybe George Martin got tired of the Squeeking;)

Steve B

It's not gonna squeak like a Speedking though because it uses a thick leather strap between the pedal and the beater assembly. That's cool if Ringo used it too. I wouldn't doubt it. It was pro gear back in the day.

I have played one a long time ago, and I still have an Asba hi-hat pedal. It is foldable. View attachment 130123
I really wanted to laugh at this clutch and its cotter pin. Then I remembered my old Pearl clutch with the big aluminium bottom nut that wouldnt stay in place, and how the top cymbal would eventually fall off the clutch. I bet that never happens with that pin.

Picked one up a year or so back, LOVE the feel, the sidereal rocking, the quick snap of the strap drive (different ratio than Tama Flexi). I kinda want to "ruin" a Speed Cobra double I don't like by unhinging the back of the footboard & fashioning a heel-strap like the ASBA, bc it seems they're never going to reissue it

Back