Rototoms

I'm not expert on Rototoms, so I may be wrong, but for metal drumming, deep, punchy toms are best for fills, etc. However, after looking on Wikipedia, it seems that they are simply to extend the tom range of your kit, so it depends what kind of metal sound you want.

There are some total heavy-hardcore-trash-metal-heads on this forum who will be sure to help you out further.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rototom

I haven't seen anyone using them in a while. I played some on a kit at my high school in Australia back in the early 80's. I think of them more as an accessory than as actual drums. They sound high, sharp and dry. Like octobans, they are just another range of surfaces with a different sound; something to add dynamic range and texture to solos, mostly.

Only you can decide if they are a worthwhile investment.

depends on what sizes you are looking for. The big ones have a cool sound, but I find the 6"-8"-10" combos just sound high pitched and silly. The 16" and 18" rotos can sound cool in the right situation....

I used 6" 8" 10" and 12" roto's. They added a nice dimension to the range but in the band I was with in the 90's I rolled down them once and the lead singer turned to me (It was his band) and said, don't ever do that again..LOL.

My brother had 6" through 18" and the larger ones do sound better. But for different effects and actual rythms they don't sound bad.

They're called rototoms because you can 'rotate' them to change their pitches.

Instead of having to retune using the lugs, you just spin them to the left or right to make them lower or raise in pitch.

My school had a set, but they were the smaller ones (probably 8" 10" and 12") and they just sound silly.

In two instances, I have heard roto's sound cool.

For accents: a la pink Floyd

When really EQ'd: Check out Mike Mangini!

Otherwise, they sound like a gutless "bonk." no body or depth.

They're called rototoms because you can 'rotate' them to change their pitches.

Instead of having to retune using the lugs, you just spin them to the left or right to make them lower or raise in pitch.

Yeah, I've built 3 drum kits with roto's. Always 10, 12, 14, 16, 18 sizes. For metal drumming (and almost anything else with volume), they have to be mic'd. Close mic 'em, blow 'em thru a 10,000 watt PA, and they'll sound like cannon fire (and look cool too). But without PA support, since they have no shell, they have no sound projection.

Jon Farris of INXS used them to great effect, and Taylor Hawkins incorporates some in his kit.

I agree with Harry here... I ve had the 6,8,10" set for over 13 years and I ve never wanted to get rid of em.. I ve tried a few different heads on them but coated and single-ply heads just dont seem to give you the attack that you can get from a "black dot" or "pinstripe".

I play mostly metal and progressive and when tuned low(just above wrinkling) they add a killer sound to an otherwise "normal" set. I d say get a set. You can probably get em used for a good price. And I did away with the original, 3 flat across mounting and move em around from time to time. It keeps it interesting and they re just fun to play. The 6" and 10" seemed to always have a better "sweet-spot" in my experience. The 8" usually sounded like my snare with the snares off. Check it out!

Attachments

• CIMG0502.JPG
    CIMG0502.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 612
  • CIMG0503.JPG
    CIMG0503.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 526
For the money, buy "original" Remo chrome on chrome roto's. Later models had black rims, grey rims.....and there a quite a few copy-cat brands. The originals, you'll have to buy them used, and if you ever get rid of them, you'll sell them used, and you shouldn't loose any money (except shipping) in the deal.

Rototoms are the coolest. I dont own any but ive always wanted to get some. They are great for just tunning from high to low toms. Makes you feel like neil peart haha.

Back