Please recommend a sturdy overhead boom mic stand

rpt50

Like the title says--can someone recommend a sturdy overhead boom mic stand. I'm tired of having the cheap ones fall apart. Thanks.

I use the on stage stands. For overheads I use the ones with the round metal base. It is more stable than the three legged version. I have never had any issues with their stands, so they should do the trick for you.

I've used the On Stage stands for a while. I had problems with the threads strippng. I think it's because they're built in China using pot metal. I finally bit the bullet and got this one from K&M about six months ago. It's about twice as much as a comparable On Stage stand, but it feels more solid and shold last for many years. So far no problems.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KM210/9BL/

Like the title says--can someone recommend a sturdy overhead boom mic stand. I'm tired of having the cheap ones fall apart. Thanks.

You need to spend some $$$. I purchased a heavy boom stand made by the Atlas company. They've been around for years supplying the recording and movie industry. Absolutely top-notch and heavy. Mine, which has a retractable boom and a heavy counterweight cost me about $90. They have bigger ones with longer booms that run about $175-$200 depending on which one you get.

Avoid the cheap stuff you see on the floors of Guitar Center and Sam Ash (well, the small stuff is ok - like if you wanted to put a mic in front of your bass drum). But as soon as you say you want to suspend a big studio condenser mic over your kit - it has to be big and heavy. Especially if you have an expensive mic on it!

Back