Beginner Questions

esanger

Hi everyone. Newbie here. Started playing about a year ago with lessons from a blues drummer who lives in my neighborhood. Anyway, I had a few questions I was wondering if I could get some help with.

-I've taught myself to read notation, I prefer to read notation as opposed to tab. Any recommendations on where to purchase drum specific sheet music for rock songs (Floyd etc..)? I've found a few Hal Leonard transcribes but not much else. I find tab difficult to read while playing when I print it out. Anyone else have that problem? (printing is too light for one thing)

-Limb independence has been a struggle. Tried a few books. Any recommendations or techniques to help overcome and cut the string from my right hand to my right foot?

-Should I start focusing on rudiments next? Teacher is not big on rudiments but reading posts on here, it seems like the logical next step.

-Dumb question for the day: How do I get the messages in a thread to display from the oldest on the top on down? Right now, when I click a message I have to scroll all the way to the bottom and read upward..is there a setting on the forum for this?

Appreciate any help or guidance you can provide.

Eric

To change display of threads, click User CP (top left), then click "edit options" on left side, scroll down and you'll find the place to change display of threads to Linear, oldest first.

I have bought a few from Sheet Music direct. Also Drum Ninja.

Yes rudiments can be helpful in so many ways. Limb independence takes work. Start slow. lots of exercises out there.

I would continue working on exactly what you're working on-- getting your basic coordination together, and improving your reading. Order a copy of A Funky Primer (~$10) and start working on the drum set patterns. There are also a few pages of snare drum exercises that will be good for you. Order a copy of Progressive Steps To Syncopation (~$8), learn to read the whole thing, then start figuring out some things to do with it on drumset. You can search the forum for that, or there are a bunch of possibilities posted on my site.

re: rudiments-- Maybe hold off until you have a teacher who can coach you on how to play them and what to do with them. Learning the various forms of paradiddles, and starting to work on your doubles, would not be a bad idea, though.

George Stone's Stick Control is the best book for getting you hands together. Play the first page at all tempos and volumes for 30 minutes every day for a couple years.

Don't know your teacher but rudiments are the basics to dumming in my opinion and I would take the time to learn them. They will help you get around the kit with different stickings.

If you have been playing for a year you will already be playing rudiments without realising it. Dont just learn by playing from notation, use your ears, learn to play songs by listening to them. Listening to the music is one of the most important tools you have when it comes to playing with others.

I take it you play drums cos you enjoy it? If so, just do what gives you the most pleasure. There is no right or wrong way to play, just your way. If its listening to music you love and want to play, and playing along to it, then that's great. If you love learning from books, videos and formal lessons, then that's also great, its whatever suits you and your personality.

The other major thing that many of have found extremely helpful is to record yourself and listen to your playing. A smartphone is all you need to get started. You'll immediately discover things that you weren't aware of and can start improving weaknesses you didn't even know you had. It's always a bit discouraging at first (even for experienced drummers) to hear your faults, but it's a great tool!

There are no simple short answers to these things.

What I can say is that as a teacher I touch on everything and build things up around an idea of what I deem essential. The most basic things are the same for us all, but the approach might differe bit from student to student.

-I've taught myself to read notation, I prefer to read notation as opposed to tab. Any recommendations on where to purchase drum specific sheet music for rock songs (Floyd etc..)? I've found a few Hal Leonard transcribes but not much else. I find tab difficult to read while playing when I print it out. Anyone else have that problem? (printing is too light for one thing)

Regular notation is the way to go For regular pop/rock stuff I really recommend figuring it out yourself. Okay the song and understand the structure. If you can't figure out the exact parts in the beginning I wouldn't worry too much about it. Play the song in a way that makes musical sense. That's generally the job. Learn to write basic charts, too.

Limb independence has been a struggle. Tried a few books. Any recommendations or techniques to help overcome and cut the string from my right hand to my right foot?

I don't know what books you've tried or how you've worked on them. This is an endless thing.

Again I have my own way whee I follow standard type of ostinato progression. I have like 10 bass drum rhythms we work on first, I think that's enough, and then focus on building a collection of ostinatos. Less in the hand than the foot is generally harder, so you just have to take it slow and count.

We generally work it in context with a fill. 3 bars groove, on bar fill and then change. That way it's already how you use it.

Should I start focusing on rudiments next? Teacher is not big on rudiments but reading posts on here, it seems like the logical next step.

It depends.

Some of the rudiments are good for building technique and also they may represent vocabulary.

Tommy Igoe's "Great Hands for a Lifetime" represents a nice course in some of the main ones and a nice warm-up.

If you want them tied into etudes then the N.A.R.D. book followed by All American Drummer are traditional material, but maybe a bit heavy for the beginner.

It all depends on ambition and what kind of drummer you want to be.

Think of limb independence like this....everything is either together or in-between.

Back