whining snare. please help

Popcorn Mogul

hi all

my snare (just the one that comes with a pearl forum kit) has a whine. I usually play with a towel covering it because of noise so.it doesn't bother me, but recently I've gone in for major noise and haven't been using the towel and it's now annoying.

is there any way to omit the noise? maybe loosening the reso-head?
please assist

much appreciated
Geoffrey

Watch a snare drum tuning video and them tune it using your learned tuning skills.

Typically the reso head should be very tight - tighter or the same tension at least as the batter head. Try experimenting with tension combinations to see if you can eliminate the "whine". You may also want to search the snare tuning sticky post that can be found here.

turn up the reso, so tight you think it might break...and then turn it slightly more.
view some snare tunings vids, they are very helpful.

When you mean "whine", do you mean a high pitched, almost twang that lingers after you hit the drum? Mine was doing it (still does, but nowhere near as much). In my case, it was the top head generating sympathetic vibrations that got the snare wires going. Had to lower the tension a bit on the snare (I like em tight!). IT is still there, but nowhere near as noticeable anymore.
How high/low is your snare tuned?

When you mean "whine", do you mean a high pitched, almost twang that lingers after you hit the drum? Mine was doing it (still does, but nowhere near as much). In my case, it was the top head generating sympathetic vibrations that got the snare wires going. Had to lower the tension a bit on the snare (I like em tight!). IT is still there, but nowhere near as noticeable anymore.
How high/low is your snare tuned?

it's more of an annoying hum...
it's tuned quiet high. it makes a highish 'crack' then comes the whining hum..

Since, you are asking, I suspect it is most likely a tuning issue, though it could also be an equipment issue(head, hoop, bearing edge). I would get a spring loaded drum key, they are cheap these days, they make it really easy to get all the tensioners at the same tension, start low, no more than two whole turns past finger tight.

it's more of an annoying hum...
it's tuned quiet high. it makes a highish 'crack' then comes the whining hum..

Sounds like there is excess sim pathetic vibration issues. Tune it higher, and look at the drum tuning bible.

If your heads are tight as you say they are, your problem could be with your snare wires.
They may be stretched unevenly due to wear. They may not be centered on the drum properly.

Sounds like there is excess sim pathetic vibration issues. Tune it higher, and look at the drum tuning bible.

Absolutely look at the drum tuning bible. I use a Remo O ring, the largest one, and it helps greatly. Actually, I would not play with out it. You could always use 1 of 2 old Ringo tricks: For live gigs he would take out his wallet and set it on the batter head, in the studio he used a thin tea towel.

Back