Aquarian Super Pads!!

My period is not for a few weeks yet, but I'll keep them in mind.

Ronyd:
Those pads do sound great on the video but they are pricey! Figure around $200 for a 4 piece set.

Do you find their rebound to be very close to drum heads? They look like they'd sound and feel pretty authentic, perhaps a tad too loud for my residential setting. Especially the snare and bass drum. I still use Remo Silent Stroke Heads to practice quietly.

BTW, Larry Levine's hand and stick techniques sound amazing. His gripping on the sticks, speed and finesse remind me of my drum teacher's skills I used to hear when he was demonstrating exercises at high speeds from Stick Control and the like, on the old school gum rubber practice pad. Speed and smoothness combined for quite a sound on just a rubber pad. Why can't I get that sound? :)

Ronyd:
Those pads do sound great on the video but they are pricey! Figure around $200 for a 4 piece set.

Do you find their rebound to be very close to drum heads? They look like they'd sound and feel pretty authentic, perhaps a tad too loud for my residential setting. Especially the snare and bass drum. I still use Remo Silent Stroke Heads to practice quietly.

BTW, Larry Levine's hand and stick techniques sound amazing. His gripping on the sticks, speed and finesse remind me of my drum teacher's skills I used to hear when he was demonstrating exercises at high speeds from Stick Control and the like, on the old school gum rubber practice pad. Speed and smoothness combined for quite a sound on just a rubber pad. Why can't I get that sound? :)

Yes a little pricey, but well worth it. the rebound is very close to drumheads. Yes, not as quiet oabviously than the silent strokes (which I also use on my DIY acoustic conversion to electronic kit).

I have the benefit of owning my own home, so , I can play loud , or medium soft (with the pads), and complete silent with the A2E kit.

I'll get the kick pad next, when he gets them in.

Mitch has been retaining a lot of water lately...

I tried them at a music store on the East Valley, really I wasn't not blown away for the price. They're easy to take off and put back on so they have that on mesh heads but the rebound is very sluggish. The snare felt like an 18" tom.

Currently house hunting, my wife and I might move into a condo, if volume is a problem for playing then I will just go with mesh heads. Thankfully I own enough kits to just leave one setup as a practice kit.

Interesting Red Menace. Myself and my 2 other drummer buddies who have great feel felt the complete opposite. But, what the hell, they are still much better than the rubber muff pads. I do agree about the $$. But still you pay that for a descent practice pad.

thankx for your input..

Mitch has been retaining a lot of water lately...

I tried them at a music store on the East Valley, really I wasn't not blown away for the price. They're easy to take off and put back on so they have that on mesh heads but the rebound is very sluggish. The snare felt like an 18" tom.

Currently house hunting, my wife and I might move into a condo, if volume is a problem for playing then I will just go with mesh heads. Thankfully I own enough kits to just leave one setup as a practice kit.

Looks good.

I would prefer them to be more mushy..

I don't understand why practice pads are always so hard and bouncy? Wouldn't it be better to struggle with a mushy pad then get on a kit and play with ease?

Looks good.

I would prefer them to be more mushy..

I don't understand why practice pads are always so hard and bouncy? Wouldn't it be better to struggle with a mushy pad then get on a kit and play with ease?

well I guess because I'm using these on the kit, I would like to have them as close as possible to hitting the drumhead.

If using as a practice pad, can always place a cymbal mute, for example, over the top to dampen it a bit.

but the end result, they are pretty nice. guess you get what you pay for.

The reason I got them was i have my home. So, I have 3 kits setup.
Two of the kits are in my basement.

One is my DIY A2E conversion. So when I wANT TO PLAY ABSOULTELY QUIET, I can, like late at night. The other is my Sonor kit, never play quiet there. The third kit, Yamaha custom absolute is in the main house. So, I either play normal, or if I want to, I can play at a lower volume, so that's where I benefit from the pads. Much better than mutes in my opinion. Yes, I could you the Remo silent stroke heads, but gotta pull heads every time, PITA..

All I know is when I sell my house and have to really worry about playing quiet in a nursing home, I got it covered LOL...

Back