New Kit GMS

iamjohn

HI Guys,

Just had to share these. Picked these up for a song. They're used but it near perfect shape. Great bop sizes, 8 x 10 rack, 12 x 13 floor, 16 x 16 bass and 5 x 13 snare. Ginger Sparkle wrap. The snare looks lighter than the rest of the kit in the pic but it's not.

I know the 16" bass drum isn't for everyone but I love it. It's the other end of the spectrum from my Luddy CM's.

They sound smokin'!

Sorry for the crappy pic.

j9r0j5.jpg

That is a CL series kit ( you can tell by the lugs) these were made in the U.S. when they were first introduced . They have since been made offshore . My understanding is GMS ships the shells to the offshore manufacturer and then does quality ontrol on these in thei U.S location before sale.They are well made excellent sounding drums.

Thanks Rick,

I didn't know much about GMS previously. I thought they were some cheap drum outfit. My local drum shop was selling this kit on consignment. I sat down and played them and just thought they sounded great.

I kept coming back to this kit. I also happened to be looking for a small kit that would be easy to grab and go and also work in a jazz setting. This one fit the bill so I did some research. There's not much out there but I discovered that GMS is essentially a custom drum company out of New York. I don't know the date of this kit. I believe these are Keller shells.

Anyway. I didn't buy it for a name, obviously. I bought them because they sounded great, were made well, looked good and fit the bill as far as sizes.

John

Thanks Rick,

I didn't know much about GMS previously. I thought they were some cheap drum outfit. My local drum shop was selling this kit on consignment. I sat down and played them and just thought they sounded great.

I kept coming back to this kit. I also happened to be looking for a small kit that would be easy to grab and go and also work in a jazz setting. This one fit the bill so I did some research. There's not much out there but I discovered that GMS is essentially a custom drum company out of New York. I don't know the date of this kit. I believe these are Keller shells.

Anyway. I didn't buy it for a name, obviously. I bought them because they sounded great, were made well, looked good and fit the bill as far as sizes.

John

I'm by no means an expert on the situation, but if memory serves, GMS is one of the few companies (I believe Gretsch is included here) who hold a special deal with Keller to receive shells made to their exact specifications. Not really sure what that all means, besides the Keller shells that GMS uses are not the same Keller shells just anyone can buy. Keller makes some incredible stuff, so does GMS. Those drums look fantastic. Great buy.

Thanks a lot. I really am blown away by the sound of these tubs. They really inspire me to play.

TYBG is correct, GMS has Keller make a special layup for their shells. Keller has many options for shells and if a large enough order is placed they will be very flexible o. Configuration, ply layup, wood types etc.

I have played a GMS Grand Master SE kit and a U.S. made CL kit and both were so e of the finest sounding drumsets i have ever played ( and i have played and owned a LOT). GMS kits re excellent quality regardless of where they are made. They also have arguably the best lacquer finishes in the industry.

Both kits are nice. Enjoy. Peace and goodwill.

Back