Dream Theater's new drummer is MIKE MANGINI

Re: Dream Theater's new drummer

If Mike doesn't get the role, I don't know who will.

I'm hoping for an aussie victory! Though I think Thomas Lang is the only one with the right look.

I just thought up a whole new level of parody. 'Crap drummer auditions'. If only I had the time, the friends and a camera...

Ha! You could have them dropping sticks, having to go to the bathroom, missing the session to go to the pub, misbehaving in the chat ... endless possibilities.

When I was on keys and we were auditioning for drummers we had overplayers and people who played too loud. One persons meat ...

I'm hoping for an aussie victory! Though I think Thomas Lang is the only one with the right look.
Aquiles Priester would be perfect for this band. Plus he doesn't make all those silly faces like Mangini. :)

Next video, Episode 2, will be up today (Wednesday) at 11 A.M. EST (Eastern Time USA). Most likely Episode 3 will be up on Friday at 11 A.M. Hope you'll tune in then too because that's when I'm in it. ;-)

2 hours and 35 minutes until Episode 2. CAN'T WAIT!!!

Cheers,
Peter

For sure man! Looking forward to see your episode on friday. Its really something to have the privilege of having you and derek being here to talk about this as we watch it. Kinda surrreal. I have been a fan of DT for over 15 years now, so the fact that you, derek and the other 5 candidates are in this audition makes you all my heroes!

Ok, now where is the second video on youtube? Shouldn't it be up by now? crap, have to go to work.

Next video, Episode 2, will be up today (Wednesday) at 11 A.M. EST (Eastern Time USA). Most likely Episode 3 will be up on Friday at 11 A.M. Hope you'll tune in then too because that's when I'm in it. ;-)

2 hours and 35 minutes until Episode 2. CAN'T WAIT!!!

Cheers,
Peter

Hope you and Derek will spill some serious beans once the drama is over? Good luck!

Just saw.

Marco smoked it. Derek seemed oddly out of it. Virgil, seemed the most musical of the lot to me. Perhaps even more so than Mangini, though Mangini fits like a glove overall.

Last edited:

It is Mike's to loose so far. I think he is the best fit. Last day should be interesting.

Some wicked drumming going on there all around.

Based on the first two videos, it still looks to me like Mangini's the one to beat.

Everybody brings something new to the fold. I enjoyed Thomas Lang. I think he brought a certain power to the music. Derek brought a great groove and feel. Marco is just a monster. Virgil also seemed like a good fit. I don't know why he went with something new, and then screwed it up. The song audition may not be the best place for trying new ideas. They had the jam for that. But it seems like he and Mike are both big Dream Theater fans. You can't compete with Mike's energy. A whole episode just for Mike, I wonder why they did that.

:p bit annoying but i'm quite enjoying these episodes :)

anyone else just thinking dream theater went to dw and asked "give us your 7 best heavyish drummers" haha

:p bit annoying but i'm quite enjoying these episodes :)

anyone else just thinking dream theater went to dw and asked "give us your 7 best heavyish drummers" haha
Aquiles plays Mapex. They have the badges covered up on the kit so I don't think they are doing DW any favors.

Back