Does anyone play video games?

Because of the Anonymous? The hackers.
My PSN ID is DrKameo, by the way.
I only have some few games, though.

Anon are not claiming responsibility for it, it's something on Sony's end, they are spinning the press. It has been running poorly for months, my guess is they took it down to work on it and wanted to sate public anger at not being able to get online.

Anyone picking up Portal 2, or already have it? I'm picking it up today.

Anon are not claiming responsibility for it, it's something on Sony's end, they are spinning the press. It has been running poorly for months, my guess is they took it down to work on it and wanted to sate public anger at not being able to get online.

Hmm, I like this theory. They just put out that it's due to "external intrusion" but I like what you said better.

i like the idea of portal 2, having played through first one.

kind of not happy about how short it is supposed to be.

let me know if its worth it, on the replay side.

Portal 2 is utterly fantastic. It goes for around eight hours, but has replay value, not to mention it is eight of the best hours you will have in gaming. The puzzles are different for co-op as well. There really isn't a legitimate reason to dislike the game.

Portal 2 is great. Single player will take you about 8-10 hours depending how good you are. You'll probably want to play through it again though, just considering how fun and funny it is.

Co-op also has a different story and levels. That will last you another 5 hours. I think there are achievements and trophies too.

What are your guys list of 5 most epic games? Not necessarily the best, but just games that just make you say "wow."

In no particular order...

Portal 2 (FPS Puzzle solving action. A new concept that is really cool.)
Minecraft (such a cool concept)
Red Dead Redemption (No words needed)
Mass Effect 2 (Amazing story, my personal favorite, and great gameplay too.)
Bioshock (This game changed FPS's as we knew them.)

A lot of my wow titles were from previous generations with different standards, for it's day the original Half Life and particularly Deus Ex which followed it were mind blowing.

Given the scope, length and depth of the story I'd have to say Baldur's gate as well.

Not to mention Castlevania Symphony of the night, to date that game still mind boggles me.

Current generation, though it is far from the best, Killzone 3 is a technical marvel, if you're looking for the very best of cutting edge graphics, that is it. God of War 3 is similarly incredible, though I'm not a huge God of War fan.

Minecraft continually startles me, I saw recently that a guy managed to build a computer in the game with ram that did division. I had to stop and think about that one for a while.

A lot of my wow titles were from previous generations with different standards, for it's day the original Half Life and particularly Deus Ex which followed it were mind blowing.

Given the scope, length and depth of the story I'd have to say Baldur's gate as well.

Not to mention Castlevania Symphony of the night, to date that game still mind boggles me.

Current generation, though it is far from the best, Killzone 3 is a technical marvel, if you're looking for the very best of cutting edge graphics, that is it. God of War 3 is similarly incredible, though I'm not a huge God of War fan.

Minecraft continually startles me, I saw recently that a guy managed to build a computer in the game with ram that did division. I had to stop and think about that one for a while.

Haha yeah i think I saw that too.

Yeah if you're talking about games that layed the foundation for future games, I've got to include Legend of Zelda: Ocarnia For N64 of time on my list, that game pretty much set the scene for all future action/adventure and adventure games. And it's still probably better than 80% of the games made.

Also, heres a little info about the beginning of FPS's, my personal favorite genre.

The first FPS that actually recieved positive attention was Wolfenstein 3D (PC), by id software, in 92, although it still wasn't very popular. Then in 93, id software came out with doom(PC), a very popular game which got many people into FPS's. In 94, Doom II came out, and domark got into the game by releasing bloodshot, on genisis. Then LucasArts introduced Star Wars Dark Forces in 95, and millenium released Defcon 5. By this time doom and wolfenstein had been released on several systems. More and more games came out (descent is one i forgot to mention), and were released on several different systems. Then in 96, id software raised the bar yet again, with Quake. This game is consideres by many to be the birth of the modern FPS. 97 was another big year, with quake II, another star wars release, and powerslave. Nintendo also stepped into the game with Goldeneye 007. 98 was another huge year with big releases like Turok 2, Unreal, Forsaken, and Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six. After titles like Quake, star wars, and goldeneye, people didn't think it could get much better. Man were they wrong. Half Life was released in 98, another amazing FPS. After this it just kept getting better with titles like Unreal tournament, medal of honor, team fortress, quake III Arena, perfect dark, deus ex, and red faction. Halo: Combat Evolved came out in 01 another groundbreaking game. In 02, Timesplitters 2 and battlefield 1942 were released. Then came metroid prime for GameCube, and Call of Duty for PC.
The rest is history.

Here's a picture of my games from this generation, minus cabout all my collector's/limited editions (around 10-15). There's also some Gamecube-games... :)

K2MS8.jpg

The first FPS that actually recieved positive attention was Wolfenstein 3D (PC), by id software, in 92, although it still wasn't very popular. Then in 93, id software came out with doom(PC), a very popular game which got many people into FPS's. In 94, Doom II came out, and domark got into the game by releasing bloodshot, on genisis. Then LucasArts introduced Star Wars Dark Forces in 95, and millenium released Defcon 5. By this time doom and wolfenstein had been released on several systems. More and more games came out (descent is one i forgot to mention), and were released on several different systems. Then in 96, id software raised the bar yet again, with Quake. This game is consideres by many to be the birth of the modern FPS. 97 was another big year, with quake II, another star wars release, and powerslave. Nintendo also stepped into the game with Goldeneye 007. 98 was another huge year with big releases like Turok 2, Unreal, Forsaken, and Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six. After titles like Quake, star wars, and goldeneye, people didn't think it could get much better. Man were they wrong. Half Life was released in 98, another amazing FPS. After this it just kept getting better with titles like Unreal tournament, medal of honor, team fortress, quake III Arena, perfect dark, deus ex, and red faction. Halo: Combat Evolved came out in 01 another groundbreaking game. In 02, Timesplitters 2 and battlefield 1942 were released. Then came metroid prime for GameCube, and Call of Duty for PC.
The rest is history.

A fairly convincing timeline of the FPS genre, personally I'm not a fan of where the genre has come, it suits an abusive style of competitive play but lacks fun. The best fun to be had FPS wise is the likes of Left 4 Dead, which is ironic coming from someone that has previously played CoD in game battles.

Originally I played Wolfenstein 3d as well, there was another game from the same era a lot of people forget about, Blake Stone. There were a few of those 2.5D shooters especially around the time of Doom, it inspired a lot more. Catacomb 3d was a particularly memorable one. Heretic and it's spiritual successor Hexen were also good examples of the early genre.

Quake certainly revolutionized online shooting back in the old dial up era, Quake 3 brought it closer to it's current incarnation and started competitive gaming, Unreal Tournament followed in it's footsteps and later Halo. Duke Nukem 3d, originally 96 the same year as Quake, so early on your timeline, made a huge impact when it was ported to the 64 and other consoles as well. I remember playing that game online as well, it was very popular.

Goldeneye was good, but Perfect Dark is the best the 64 had to offer FPS wise, Goldeneye was great for it's time, it has aged very poorly. When you're talking console shooters, Halo definitely needs a mention, not just because of how popular it is, that game altered the way targeting with an analog stick worked, it single handedly made FPS more popular on console then PC, which was previously the true way to play a shooting game. Sure, the N64 brought console shooters into the equation and many prolific PC shooters like Counterstrike and Battlefield persisted after Halo and still do, but Halo started the shift in development from developing primarily for PC to developing for console.

We could go an list all the FPS games ever made, but one of my personal favorite series was Timesplitters from the PS2 which you briefly mentioned. Head and shoulders above the competition in it's day and still has not been matched in many regards.

many prolific PC shooters like Counterstrike and Battlefield persisted after Halo and still do,
Counterstrike was popular in so many ways:

1. Was done by a third party (not valve) house.
2. Was as good as anything Valve had done when some mods were a bit dire.
3. Was damn good fun!

Counterstrike was popular in so many ways:

1. Was done by a third party (not valve) house.
2. Was as good as anything Valve had done when some mods were a bit dire.
3. Was damn good fun!

It was a great game, people still play CS:S and Team Fortress 2. Search and Destroy in Call of Duty is a blatant copy of Counter Strike.

A fairly convincing timeline of the FPS genre, personally I'm not a fan of where the genre has come, it suits an abusive style of competitive play but lacks fun. The best fun to be had FPS wise is the likes of Left 4 Dead, which is ironic coming from someone that has previously played CoD in game battles.

Originally I played Wolfenstein 3d as well, there was another game from the same era a lot of people forget about, Blake Stone. There were a few of those 2.5D shooters especially around the time of Doom, it inspired a lot more. Catacomb 3d was a particularly memorable one. Heretic and it's spiritual successor Hexen were also good examples of the early genre.

Quake certainly revolutionized online shooting back in the old dial up era, Quake 3 brought it closer to it's current incarnation and started competitive gaming, Unreal Tournament followed in it's footsteps and later Halo. Duke Nukem 3d, originally 96 the same year as Quake, so early on your timeline, made a huge impact when it was ported to the 64 and other consoles as well. I remember playing that game online as well, it was very popular.

Goldeneye was good, but Perfect Dark is the best the 64 had to offer FPS wise, Goldeneye was great for it's time, it has aged very poorly. When you're talking console shooters, Halo definitely needs a mention, not just because of how popular it is, that game altered the way targeting with an analog stick worked, it single handedly made FPS more popular on console then PC, which was previously the true way to play a shooting game. Sure, the N64 brought console shooters into the equation and many prolific PC shooters like Counterstrike and Battlefield persisted after Halo and still do, but Halo started the shift in development from developing primarily for PC to developing for console.

We could go an list all the FPS games ever made, but one of my personal favorite series was Timesplitters from the PS2 which you briefly mentioned. Head and shoulders above the competition in it's day and still has not been matched in many regards.

Yeah there were definitely some big ones I left out, but that was just a brief timeline.

My personal favorites from some of the older FPS's are Doom III, Quake III, Half Life, Team Fortress, Perfect Dark, and Metroid Prime (my all time fav).

I never had any type of play station, so I didn't really get into timespiltters unfortunately. I never really got into the Halo series either... Don't know why, it just didn't appeal to me as much as some of the other ones.

Not really a gamer. My Xbox sits gathering dust all day, and I'm 15. Which is highly unusual, especially in heart attack capital of Europe "Scotland".

But when I do play it, usually a game which involves zombies or a free-roam do whatever game like GTA or Saints Row. Abit violent for my age yes, but my parents don't believe in Video Games Promote Violence as do I, I'm abit of a pascifist. But video games aren't real.

I used to play Rock Band which NEVER led to me playing drums, but it helped my timing somehow. I only played it when I was really bored, but I'd never learn a drum track from it. Wasn't accurate.
But it was pretty fun, got pretty decent scores about 90% on most songs too, but real drums... That's where life is put to the test and then you have like 200 people going crazy on the dance floor as you play F*** You by Cee Lo. Video Games, that doesn't happen. :)

Yeah there were definitely some big ones I left out, but that was just a brief timeline.

My personal favorites from some of the older FPS's are Doom III, Quake III, Half Life, Team Fortress, Perfect Dark, and Metroid Prime (my all time fav).

I never had any type of play station, so I didn't really get into timespiltters unfortunately. I never really got into the Halo series either... Don't know why, it just didn't appeal to me as much as some of the other ones.

I never really considered Metroid Prime a shooter, it had a different ascetic then most shooters, it was more of an adventure action game like Zelda.

It certainly didn't start out life as a shooter, it was a 2d platform game that got made into 3d. I suppose the same could be said about Duke Nukem.

The prime series is great, I always loved Metroid back on the SNES and the original Gameboy, Corruption is hands down one of the best games on the Wii, I should replay it one of these days, it has been a few years since I gave it a run through.

Portal 2 is very good.

I knew it was short going into it, still playing through. Very good.

Portal 2 is very good.

I knew it was short going into it, still playing through. Very good.

There is another four to five hours of campaign to be had in co-op depending on how competent your allies are. Great fun online

I was going to buy a PS3 earlier in the year. Glad i didn't now...

I'd still buy one, the dust will settle and I have faith that things will return to normal better then ever. Sony is a huge company, one that doesn't just produce games consoles, the upcoming NGP alone in the Japanese market is guaranteed to fill the coffers and cover the compensation over the debacle. It's a fantastic console with fantastic games, the fact PSN was compromised doesn't change that. The same thing will happen to Steam or XBLA at some point, it just happened to hit PSN first. We're moving into a digital age and it has issues, these services didn't exist five years ago. After saying that, I'm still very angry that it has and I'm in no way sucking at the teat of the big corporation. I'll gladly take my pound of flesh if it is due.

Back