DAW and VST

TJones

What is your favorite DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) program? Also, VST (Virtual Studio Technology) software for drums? Im thinking Cakewalk, or Cubase for the DAW, and Superior Drummer, or Addictive Drums for the VST. Thoughts/Suggestions?
Also, These programs are a bit pricey, but from what I understand well worth it. These choices are great from the reviews Ive read, but is there a less costly alternative other than torrents to get these programs for a better price?

What is your favorite DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) program? Also, VST (Virtual Studio Technology) software for drums? Im thinking Cakewalk, or Cubase for the DAW, and Superior Drummer, or Addictive Drums for the VST. Thoughts/Suggestions?
Also, These programs are a bit pricey, but from what I understand well worth it. These choices are great from the reviews Ive read, but is there a less costly alternative other than torrents to get these programs for a better price?

DAW = Logic Studio
VST for drums = me.

Protools

BFD2.

Although I plan on phasing out BFD2 for just mics on acoustic drums.
It sounds good, but not being able to "tune" the drums, or "change the heads" like you could with Roland V-drums is annoying, even though the sounds are better than v-drum sounds.

Reaper is much cheaper and has the exact same features as more expensive DAW software, plus you can learn the concepts of a DAW without spending a ton of money up front. It has more features actually, since the "lite" or "home studio" versions of Cubase/ProTools/etc usually have artificial limits on what you can do with them or are tied to specific recording hardware. If you feel you ever exhaust its feature set, then you can spend the $$ on a more expensive DAW later.

Reaper is free to try for 30 days, and is completely uncrippled, unlike other DAW software that offers trial versions, but limits you to 8 tracks or only records 30 seconds at a time or other nonsense. If you don't make more than $20,000US per year off of music, the non-commercial license is only $40, $150 for the commercial license.

My favorite DAW is Cubase 5, but it helps to be comfortable in multiple softwares if you might find yourself in someone else's studio. Even though Cubase is all I use in my studio, I'll at least download a demo of anything else I find, if none of my recording friends have a full copy that I can check out. But pound for pound, I've never found any other DAW solution that I'm as comfortable with as Cubase.

As far as drum replacement software, I don't use it. All of my MIDI drums are either from Fruity Studio 9 or just generic midi triggering my DM Pro. However, DR software has come leaps and bounds over the last few years. I'd guess Reaktor or Drumagog are on top of the pile right now.

As far as saving some bucks, I know for a fact that Cubase can be had via student discount. One of my friends purchased it that way. Check manufacturers websites. Sometimes they give discounts for goofy stuff. Might catch something that applies to you.

I use Cubase 5! I have been using it for several years for MIDI and recording and found it to be very good at handling both mediums!

A very good drum replacement tool used on many commercial tracks is Stephen Slate Drums. It comes in the form of a VST instrument, so I can be triggered via MIDI, eg Roland V-Drums, or as a VST plugin! Worth a look!

Reaper & Superior drummer 2 (+extra libraries).
I also have Pro Tools (M Powered), SSD, OWD. But I mostly use SD2 & Reaper. Much prefer Reaper over Pro Tools. Also like the sounds of SD2 compared to SSD & OWD. I love SD2 because I can easily tweak the drums to make them sound more authentic & less processed for pop, and process them hard for metal, and everything in between. That said SSD has some great drums for rock that just "fit", and OWD has nice sounds too.

I use drumagog for any sound replacement.

Using a mixture of acoustic drums, acoustic cymbals & electronic drums/cymbals. Running it into a profire 2626, with a variety of mics. Have a ton of plugins for EQ, comps, reverb, synths etc. Mainly using Sonalksis though as I really like their stuff in general.

Pretty sweet setup if I do say so myself, other people seem to like it too. I've used Pro Tools HD in a very nice studio for many a session a few years ago and I would never think of going back. I'm comfortable with my setup & it's fine. I outsource for mixing & mastering anyway so a lack of outboard gear really isn't a huge problem.

Logic and EZDrummer here. I've tried almost every DAW there is, and Logic is still my favorite. The interface is very clean and easy to understand. I was going to buy a mac anyway, so it was an easy decision. I don't like Cubase and it's lack of samples, or proTools hardware requirements. They are also very cluttered.

Back