famous drummers that teach?

rotherdrummer

title says it all really. what famous drummers actually give lessons?...
tommy igoe
jason bowld

i always thought it would be awesome to have a few sessions learning from the likes of nicko mcbrain etc :(

title says it all really. what famous drummers actually give lessons?...
tommy igoe
jason bowld

i always thought it would be awesome to have a few sessions learning from the likes of nicko mcbrain etc :(

Many, many drummers give lessons. They do DVDs, videos for endorsement websites (sticks, heads, etc.), articles for drum magazines, and one-on-one lessons quite often. I would guess the most common would be clinics though.

Just check out the website of a drummer that you have in mind and see if he or she is giving a clinic in your area.

Many, many drummers give lessons. They do DVDs, videos for endorsement websites (sticks, heads, etc.), articles for drum magazines, and one-on-one lessons quite often. I would guess the most common would be clinics though.

Just check out the website of a drummer that you have in mind and see if he or she is giving a clinic in your area.

+1 on checking their website. I have gotten lessons from some amazing pro drummers by doing this. Also many who no longer do one on one lessons often do clinics or more organized sessions with a smaller group.

So many.... John Riley, Don Fomularo, Mike Johnston...

Those within the Drummer's Collective and many, many others.....

Mike Mangini was teaching at Berkley and is still a faculty member there.I'm sure he still teaches and does clinics when not touring with DT.

I myself , took two lessons with the great Joe Morello in the early 90's.Joe taught a limited number of advanced students till his death two years ago.

Lots of pros teach and do clinics because they enjoy it or to supplement their income.....or both.There aren't a whole lot of pros that can get by, on just playing music alone.

Hopefully,Joe Morris or Bermuda will chime in on that issue.

Steve B

Many.

Greg Bissonette, Glen Sobel, and many others offer lessons in LA when they aren't on the road.

My buddy takes lessons from Greg Bissonette, $100 per hour. I do some IT consulting on the side and I don't charge my clients this rate =/

$100 is very reasonable. I've paid for lessons for my son with top orchestral professionals and it's more than that.

Also, don't forget about the enormous pool of drummers who are not famous but who have played and continue to play with giants. I've been more than fortunate to have spent years with this caliber of teacher. The insights, wisdom they bring - along with drumming instruction - are world class.

Back