Porcupine Tree

S

sticks4drums

If I wanted to here their best stuff, which album would I buy?

Deadwing? All their albums are a bit different. Depends what you like. And yeah there are a lot of Porcupine Tree albums.

Deadwing? All their albums are a bit different. Depends what you like. And yeah there are a lot of Porcupine Tree albums.
I just started downloading their most recent one off of itunes, because I am going to see Gavin tomorrow night at a clinic and wanted some fuel for the show.

"In Absentia" was the first studio album with Gavin; I remember you saying how impressed you were with him after seeing him on Letterman, so start there and move forward. You can also check out the reissues of "The Sky Moves Sideways" and "Up the Downstair", he re-recorded some of the drums on those.

I'm very partial to "Fear of a Blank Planet" myself; I also love most of the songs on "The Incident". Get the live CDs too; Gavin cranks it up a notch live IMHO.

Thanks for all the reply's guys. I will listen to some of it tonight. Will take some pics tomorrow night and put them up.

The EPs Futile and Nil Recurring are probably my favorite parts of their discography, definitely worth a look

To give a good snap shot of Gavin's drumming I think the E.P. 'Nil Recurring' is brilliant.

Fear of a Blank Planet - excellent showcase of Gavin's range of skills.

On a non Gavin related note - Voyage 34 is awesome.

The Anesthetize DVD goes through the entirety of FOABP. I actually prefer it to the Studio Version.

Start with Deadwing or In Absentia though imo.

So far I am finding them too much like Pink Floyd. Still listening. :)

If you wanna crunch for the clinic, I'd suggest the following as the most easily accessible songs (for someone who prefers heavy music to more chill, floyd-y stuff):

Deadwing
Shallow
Lazarus
Anesthetize
Blackest Eyes
Strip the Soul

So far I am finding them too much like Pink Floyd. Still listening. :)

haha funny, a couple months ago my dad asked me why no one sounds like Pink Floyd anymore so i told him about Porcupine Tree. He's definitely more of a fan then i am now, he loves them.

Back