Stupid noises while drumming!

spantney

Title may be a bit weird but I'll explain.

I was sitting down playing my electric kit quite hard, when I was done I turned around to find a couple of my bandmates in quite hysterical laughter. After about 5-10 minutes of prodding and punching them to get the answer of why they were laughing so hard they said it was the 'stupid' noises I made while I was drumming. While they were quite evidently taking the piss, it doesnt bother me because as with all twentysomethings playing pranks on each other and generally being a pain in the arse to your mates is pretty much mandatory.

I can't really stop myself from doing it because I don't know when I do it but they said it seems to be if I'm drumming particularly frantically. In a live environment when I'm using an acoustic kit then my stupid noises are obviously drowned out, but it just made me wonder am I a weirdo or is it normal?!?!

Nothing wrong there, probably better out than. Consider it a melodic expression. Have a listen to the pianist Bud Powell for a high class example ;)

I find that when I am REALLY into a good groove with a band and things are flowing like they are supposed to be and everything is perfect, I sometimes hum to myself in a low voice. I don't know how to explain it, but it's some kind of groaning that's often connected to pleasure, and that's exactly what it is I think. It's pure pleasure and chemistry to make great music and be in 'the spot' and some people just make noises when they enjoy themselves.
(my little sister used to start groaning during diner, just to make me aware of the fact that I was actually groaning because of the great food..)

It's more common than you think. I know I've done it from time to time and I've known several other guys over the years that have done it too. I knew a guy who used to verbalise his fills.....i.e. bum, bad-da, bad-da etc.........very funny.

Check this link:http://www.saladrecords.com/bonhamfiles.htm

There are tracks here where you can hear Bonham yelling out over the top of fills etc. Almost as entertaining as the actual drumming!!

It may be weird mate, but you're not alone.

I do this from time to time, when I really get into the groove or drumming. It sounds like I'm humming or clearing my throat. One time I even yelled out "flabbadaba" when I played a flam-fill, so I ruined the entire recording session.

Yeah I've been told its like a humming sound but with the occassional grunt. Linking back to the pleasure thing - that could well be it, usually if I'm drumming my little socks off its because I'm in the zone :)

Glad to hear it seems to be a fairly common thing!

I was in a band once where one of the other players noticed and pointed it out to me. They thought it was very funny, too, and actually wanted to record my grunts whatever verbalizations that happen to come out as a sort of bonus rhythm track. Of course I was having none of that!

I am quite silent when I drum (vocally, that is). I do make weird faces that make me look like I have an IQ of about room temperature.
I know one guy that would indeed make strange noises when playing drums. Normally it would get lost in the noise of the drums, but when you play an e-kit with headphones...

Sometimes I'll do a Serena Williams when carrying on towards the ends of the song but these days I'm not playing grunty music. I do backups and have a mic close by so a whole lot of grunting wouldn't be the best idea.

MikeHawk, I'm glad you enjoy playing so much!

no worries bro happens to me all the time i grunt when i start particularly fast blast beats or double kick passages, and a kinda "O" face when i go into certain rolls.

I'd take your weird problem over mine any day, I got random erections while playing lmao.

Haha classic, brings a whole new meaning to the term single stroke.

I make weird faces, can't help it really but I wouldn't worry about it. Check out Glenn Gould and Bernard Purdie for more examples of singing/grunting whilst playing an instrument.

one of my buds did some recording, and on playback they couldn't figure out what the weird humming was. when they finally traced it...it was him humming along to certain parts to keep himself in the pocket. he wasn't aware that he was doing it.

he says he still has that habit from time to time.

Nothing wrong there, probably better out than. Consider it a melodic expression. Have a listen to the pianist Bud Powell for a high class example ;)

I just picked up "Yesterdays", which features Keith Jarrett (piano), Jack DeJohnette (drums), and Gary Peacock (bass) live in Japan in 2001. It's a swingin' album, but Keith Jarrett makes certain vocalizations while he plays. Actually, I'd say it's more of an off-key moan. Let me put it this way: It sounds like his mentally challenged cousin is sitting at the side of the stage trying to sing along! If the musicianship weren't so incredible, I wouldn't be able to listen to it!

Count me among those who do a bit of under-their-breath atonal vocalization. I blame it on getting in the (generally good) habit of quietly humming what I'm playing to myself when I do improv on the vibes.

I just picked up "Yesterdays", which features Keith Jarrett (piano), Jack DeJohnette (drums), and Gary Peacock (bass) live in Japan in 2001. It's a swingin' album, but Keith Jarrett makes certain vocalizations while he plays. Actually, I'd say it's more of an off-key moan. Let me put it this way: It sounds like his mentally challenged cousin is sitting at the side of the stage trying to sing along! If the musicianship weren't so incredible, I wouldn't be able to listen to it!

Keith Jarrett is exactly who I thought of when I saw this thread. :)

Back