Mike Portnoy to record with Avenged Sevenfold

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Wow, I didn't see this coming.

http://www.bravewords.com/news/132649

"I want our fans to know that with Jimmy in our hearts, our journey to record has officially began. Jimmy helped leave this world an amazing gift and now it's our job to make sure to deliver that gift to our fans. We asked Jimmy's all time favorite drummer Mike Portnoy to record on behalf of him. Mike said it would be an honor and without question that’s what Jim would have wanted. It's comforting to us that someone like Mike, who is undoubtedly revered as one of the best drummers in the world, held such respect and adoration for the Rev's abilities.

Click the link for the full story.

It doesn't mention who might to do any future touring.

I wouldn't say Mike is one of the best drummers in the world(even if there is no best), but I'll probably check out some songs just for curiousitys sake.

Avenged Sevenfold is one of my favorite groups, and I'm really glad they're making another/more album(s). I'm sure Portnoy'll record some nice tracks, so I am definitely going to have to check it out.

I honestly don't really want any other drummer to play with the rest of Avenged Sevenfold, no matter if they say that they're not trying to fill his shoes.

They've been my favorite band for a while now, and He's the whole reason I became a drummer. I don't like the thought of Portnoy (which I really don't find to be among the greatest drummers, no offence) filling in for Jimmy.

God rest his soul. </3

P.S. I didn't change my signature just to post here.

Just curious as to why y'all don't think Portnoy can be considered one of the drumming greats. Will be interesting to hear how he does with that style of music.

I cannot wait that is going to be insane! Plus it make sense since A7X said that they wanted to make there next album more progressive, who would be better for the job then the Rev? Giving it Mike is an amazing drummer (i don't think there is such thing as "best drummer") and being the Revs favorite drummer growing up I will definitely look forward to the new record.

People are reading things into the quote that isn't there.

The quote does not say Mike Portnoy IS the best drummer.

The quote doesn't say Mike is among the best drummers.

It say Portnoy is "revered as one of the best".

re·vere
1   /rɪˈvɪər/ Show Spelled[ri-veer]
–verb (used with object),-vered, -ver·ing.
to regard with respect tinged with awe; venerate: The child revered her mother.

From Mike Portnoy.com
Mike's long list of Awards include 24 Modern Drummer Magazine Reader's Poll Awards including: 2004 Hall of Fame Inductee, Best Progressive Rock Drummer (12 years in a row!!), Best Clinician (twice), Best Educational Video/DVD for Liquid Drum Theater, and Best Recorded Performance of the Year (6 times) for Dream Theater's Awake, A Change of Seasons, Falling Into Infinity, Scenes From A Memory, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence and Score.

Given the sheer accolades Portnoy has received, it's not out the question that some people revere him as one of the best.

Just because any one person doesn't think he is the best doesn't change the perception out there that many other people consider him among the best, which is all the quote really says.

AX7 already has some songs that sound like DT. So why the hell not let Mike Portnoy record with them? It makes sense. And he may not be Buddy Rich but he's better than most of the clowns people listen to these days.

I think Portnoy would be a good choice. He has the right feel to his playing.

Back