Difference in these Tama Camco Cams?

Mr. Compactness

Can someone tell me why the change between the fully rounded cam to the partially rounded on the Tama Camco Pedals? I just bought one from the 80's and it has the partial. I can't imagine it makes much of a difference.

*edit* I am aware these are the same exact cam, just edited in photoshop to show the difference.

Attachments

• Picture 6.png
    Picture 6.png
    97.9 KB · Views: 769
  • Picture 7.png
    Picture 7.png
    102.7 KB · Views: 865
The fully rounded cam is the original design of the Tama Camco, the partially rounded cam came about a couple years later, since the cam doesn't do a 360° turn, it's only need to be cranked were the chain is in contact, thus providing a slighlty lighter feel.

I figured it made it lighter, but is there a significant difference?

Are the older cams easy to find if it does make a difference?

Camco was the name of a drum hardware company and also made drums, very good drums, then Tama bought up the company and now is called Tama Camco.

The camco pedals are very fast responding to foot action, alot of jazz players use them, thats why I bought it.

Its a fast pedal. It is a simple pedal, not to big and easy put in a pedal case. Its all you really need. You dont need a thousand adjustments on the pedals like the newer ones.

Its a very good pedal. The difference of the cams I think might be age. I bought my pedal 30 years ago new and its a partial cam.

Thanks, I am familiar with the history a little. Did the fully round cam come later?

I actually have two now, or will. I won one on Ebay today for $50 and found a guy local selling two for $50 each as well. I'll pick up the local one up tomorrow. If I had looked first I would have just bought both locally. The local doesn't have the original beater but that doesn't matter to me.

Did the fully round cam come later?

No. Round cam first (as per original Camco) and then the partial cam, I played the Tama camco for over 28 years, in single pedal version first (round cam) and then the double pedal version (partially round cam)

Did you notice a big difference between the cams?

To tell you the truth, it such a long time ago when I switch between the round cam and the partial cam, I don't remember, lol, but I don't recall having noticed a huge difference, if any.

The amount of metal removed is minimal in terms of weight and feel of the whole pedal, if you play both versions with an exact same setting in terms of spring tension, beater angle & height, foot board angle, I doubt you would actually feel the difference.

Last edited:
To tell you the truth, it such a long time ago when I switch between the round cam and the partial cam, I don't remember, lol, but I don't recall having noticed a huge difference, if any.

The amount of metal removed is minimal in terms of weight and feel of the whole pedal, if you play both versions with an exact same setting in terms of spring tension, beater angle & height, foot board angle, I doubt you would actually feel the difference.

Thanks. Let me ask, did you notice a minimal amount of click from the pedal chain? On the one I picked up locally there is a bit, but it's been about 15 years since I've played a single chain pedal that I don't know if that's normal.

Thanks. Let me ask, did you notice a minimal amount of click from the pedal chain? On the one I picked up locally there is a bit, but it's been about 15 years since I've played a single chain pedal that I don't know if that's normal.

Are you refering to a "click" noise while playing?

The chain is running through a cranked cam from the top of the footboard, to avoid any "friction" noise, the chain as to be in a perfect 90° angle with the shaft and the top of the footboard to allow the chain to run freely through the cam, having said that, with a metal to metal contact, you'll hear some sound from this pedal, but it's perfectly acceptable.

Are you refering to a "click" noise while playing?

The chain is running through a cranked cam from the top of the footboard, to avoid any "friction" noise, the chain as to be in a perfect 90° angle with the shaft and the top of the footboard to allow the chain to run freely through the cam, having said that, with a metal to metal contact, you'll hear some sound from this pedal, but it's perfectly acceptable.

Thanks. I used some chain lubrication at all moving points and on the chain a little and aside from just a normal friction "hum" the clicking has stopped.

Back